Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Anyone else having panic attacks about the market?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In reality it is impossible to know what is a good course of action. It will be revealed in hindsight only.

It's easy for us to hang around here full of confidence after a 25 year bull market. Maybe this confidence is well founded, maybe not.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
In reality it is impossible to know what is a good course of action. It will be revealed in hindsight only.

It's easy for us to hang around here full of confidence after a 25 year bull market. Maybe this confidence is well founded, maybe not.

Ha
I guess it depends where you have been invested in the last 8 years or so.

Or we are in the 70th year of a 200 year bull market. Whatever way you want to look at it.

Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Right, it will seem much worse if you run out of pot.
Definately all in the perspective.

Not as dreary in the salt mines today, along with a fun road trip coming up. Market having some shudders, ho hum.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Intellectually I know I shouldn't be concerned, but it is disheartening to see the portfolio head in the wrong direction. So...you are not alone.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog
Intellectually I know I shouldn't be concerned, but it is disheartening to see the portfolio head in the wrong direction. So...you are not alone.
Dog, assuming you are in the accumulation phase, and assuming you have quite a few years to go before retirement, you need to do what I did... I retrained my brain to be happy when the market goes down, since I will then be able to buy more shares at relatively lower prices. Now, I actually feel good when I see a nice drop, because I know that my next automatic purchase will pick up a few more shares for the same money!!

I think it was Buffett who once said something like this....if you wanted to store up apples for the winter, would you prefer the price of apples to go up right before you buy them or down? How would you feel if the store marked apples down by say 10 percent right before you bought them?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

"This is the one thing I can never understand. To refer to a personal taste of mine, I'm going to buy hamburgers the rest of my life. When hamburgers go down in price, we sing the "Hallelujah Chorus" in the Buffett household. When hamburgers go up, we weep. For most people, it's the same way with everything in life they will be buying--except stocks. When stocks go down and you can get more for your money, people don't like them anymore."

http://www.ibmemployee.com/PDFs/Warr...tockMarket.pdf
Fortune's investment guide 2002

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:22 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
i think that once you make a substantial amount of money then there is the fear of losing that money.
I noticed that, too, after I paid off all my debts. I went from maybe having enough to cover debts from my IRA after taxes and penalties (I didn't do that, but it was a mental measuring stick) to having no debt, no liabilities beyond the next month and my intact and growing IRA. When I was in debt there was never any second-guessing: you pay the CC bills. Now I had lots of spare income, lots of savings and found myself fretting about what to do with it. Is this budget too generous? Is my AA too aggressive?

I broke myself from that fretting by constantly reminding myself that I was financially way better off now than I was when I was in-debt and had little choice. I also rode the 2000 drop down without panic selling and rode it back up since then, so now I feel even better about my AA with respect to my risk tolerance.

Also remember that there is a grave risk in being too conservative, and that is inflation risk. Most likely if you stuff your cash into your mattress or into fixed income then your savings will erode to inflation.

Quit worrying, find your happy AA and go with it. Don't base your AA on the market, base it on your situation.

Alternatively you can find a friend who doesn't have savings and is in debt and gripe to her about how worried you are about your money. She'll set you straight real fast.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:20 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

It all depends on your risk tolerance. Can you sleep at night with the asset allocation and diversification you have?I'm more risk averse than most and only have 25% in equities and am willing to accept probable lower returns but with less volitility.Long term you'll always come out ahead in the market but potentially that could be many years. From the 29 high it took 25 years to get back to even(1954).Hopefully that is an extreme worst case scenario.
wolfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by danm
When stocks go up, you make money. When they go down, it's a buying opportunity. You can't lose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Gosh I'm not in a panic, in fact last night when dh mentioned it (with a worried look on his face) I said great, time to keep buying
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
I'm hoping the market drops some more. I want a nice deep drop so than I can pick up more shares at lower prices.
I DCA, but when I have some spare change laying around, I'll dump that into the market also. The only 'panic' I've had recently is trying to dig up some more spare change to dump in!!! :

In fact I scrounged up a couple hundred bucks yesterday and dumped it in! Every little bit helps!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:06 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbay
Long term you'll always come out ahead in the market but potentially that could be many years. From the 29 high it took 25 years to get back to even(1954).Hopefully that is an extreme worst case scenario.
Not really! -- If you had held a 50/50 portfoilo on the indexes and rebalanced after the crash of 1929, you would have been buying stocks at a deep discount. I ran FireCalc and with $1Mil invested in 1929, would have been over $1.15 MIllion about 5 years later! - That is the benefit of sticking to a plan and not 'going with your gut' or where your 'head' may be leading you to.

The worst case may have been in 1966, when you did not have a big plunge, had high inflation. It looks like it took about 18 years to get to $1.15 Million.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
"This is the one thing I can never understand. To refer to a personal taste of mine, I'm going to buy hamburgers the rest of my life. When hamburgers go down in price, we sing the "Hallelujah Chorus" in the Buffett household. When hamburgers go up, we weep. For most people, it's the same way with everything in life they will be buying--except stocks. When stocks go down and you can get more for your money, people don't like them anymore."
Personally, I do not eat these hamburgers, but rather buy them in order to sell to others. Thus, while I like low prices during the buying part, I am less than happy about low prices during the selling phase. I plan to start selling at some point in the next 5.5 years.
bbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

I am reminded of a saying my mother used to quote:
"Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

Don't count on your investments just because a nice number shows on a report. You will lose some and win some. Just hope the balance meets your investment objective. if so then that is all you can hope for.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #93

Buffet may be one of the greatest investors of all time, but this is a pretty stupid analogy. I'm not buying stocks to eat them, I'm buying them so that I can resell them at a later point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

http://www.ibmemployee.com/PDFs/Warr...tockMarket.pdf
Fortune's investment guide 2002
soupcxan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:51 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
Buffet may be one of the greatest investors of all time, but this is a pretty stupid analogy. I'm not buying stocks to eat them, I'm buying them so that I can resell them at a later point in time.
Perhaps you have the wrong investment perspective then.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Perhaps you have the wrong investment perspective then.
I thought it was a stupid analogy too.

You buy hamburgers to (literally) consume them - a low price is always good.

You buy stocks (ideally when they are 'on sale'), but unless you bought them for dividends only, you plan to sell them in the future, or use their NAV as collateral - so, you want prices to rise in the future. Stocks are not consumables.
It is, IMO, a terrible analogy.

Buy low, sell high. Not buy low, sell lower.

-ERD50

edit to clarify that the analogy was stupid, not the poster, also one typo
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I have a different perspective. Unless I am intentionally speculating, I always invest based on the discounted cash flows of the underlying investment in mind. So ultimately, I don't really care what the price of the stock in the open market is unless it is either at a big enough discount to my estimate of DCF value, or at a big enough premium that I am willing to part with the investment. Otherwise, I am happy to watch cash flows compound within an operating business (or collect coupons & dividends).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #97

I know for the next 10-20 years I'll be buying a big truckload of burgers each month. I buy these burgers fully expecting them to be worth two to five times what they are worth today after 10-20 years. I'd rather the price of these burgers drop right now while I'm buying them (so I can get more burgers for my dollars). Then, when I'm about done buying burgers in 10-20 years, I'd like the price to rise. That would be pretty optimal. I think that is all buffet is saying.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Question I have is whether you get cheese on those burgers or have to pay for it.

And may I have those burgers dressed like a big mac?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I think that is all buffet is saying.
I'm sure that is what he means also, and of course, I agree. But, using a very perishable consumable as a metaphor for long term stock investing is just wrong.

Many electronic products have been going down in price for as long as I remember. As a consumer, that's great. But I have yet to sell one of those for a capital gain. I don't 'consume' my stocks.

-ERD50

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #100

But if stocks are priced based only on DCF (not really, but let's pretend all investors share your approach) and the price drops, that means that either their future cash flows decreased or the discount rate increased. Neither of these things seems to be something I would look forward to in my investments.

Or are you saying that the price can drop substantially without an underlying change in the inputs to your DCF model, just because of irrational/behavorial investors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Hmmm, I have a different perspective. Unless I am intentionally speculating, I always invest based on the discounted cash flows of the underlying investment in mind. So ultimately, I don't really care what the price of the stock in the open market is unless it is either at a big enough discount to my estimate of DCF value, or at a big enough premium that I am willing to part with the investment. Otherwise, I am happy to watch cash flows compound within an operating business (or collect coupons & dividends).
soupcxan is online now   Reply With Quote