Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with the "get the h*ll out of Dodge" sentiment. Find a place, give them notice, no forwarding address, and move. I've been a landlord, and there are people who are professionals at getting a free place to live. In my state, there's very little you can do when they stop paying. It takes months to get them out, and even if you do get a judgement against them upon eviction, the landlord never sees the money. If they can't find you, they can't sue you. And if you had to give them a contact when you filled out your application, alert them so they can tell the collector they have no idea where you moved. Get a new cell number too. Seriously, this not worth 7% of your assets. You're being too nice to them. Be nice to yourself and get this process moving, literally. I see getting out of that apartment as your #1 priority. JMHO, of course.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #162

I agree with everyone's sentiments regarding bailing on the lease and finding a lower priced apartment. But I can understand the OP's anxiety over doing this. I have some family members who see the world as very literal and don't believe they can do things unless other people tell them it's OK to do so.

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to survive, even if that means doing something that you have been told is not possible.
Anyone else here forced to retire and scared to death?
Old 09-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #163

I think someone mentioned dog walking for 50 cents a minute. Do this for 5,000 minutes per month. Two birds with one stone: Get healthy and live in a sweet apartment.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Gosh, for that 20K you could BUY a place in FL at the link someone provided a few pages ago.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
OK, someone asked me to stopping complaining and make some changes to my attitude and DO SOMETHING about my situation.

Talk to a legal aide attorney about how I can break my lease without destroying my credit so I could not rent in the future.

Drive down to suburban Richmond VA and check it out. I can live there and be within 100 miles of my friends and family in the DC area but live in a cheaper more low keyed town. I see nice apartments advertised there for under $800 a month. I will talk to them about how I can rent without a job but with assets. (Maybe pay a year ahead in rent?)
Forced - what about these items on your plan? Curious how they turned out.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If this is a big property management company (which it sounds like) the property manager is basically a big old butt-in-a-seat, who has no power to negotiate. All they can do is quote policy at you. Their job would be in danger if they didn't.

There might actually be company "management," who will see reason ("I have no income, and no prospects of getting any. I literally cannot pay the rent any more. Would you prefer me to stick around until you are forced to evict me, or would you please accept my security deposit as my parting gift?" This is why security deposits exist.

But an attempt to find, and deal with, a responsible party might be more trouble than it is worth. And I speak as a former landlord, who pays her bills and cares deeply about her own credit rating. In this situation, you, not the property managers, are in the driver's seat.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
Of course if you ask the management company about getting out of the lease, they will say NO! It's in their interest for you to stay & pay. But as other have noted, if you vacate, the landlord cannot simply sue & recover what's owed on the lease; they have to try to mitigate damages by renting to someone else, so they will have to do that when you leave. Seems to me the worst case scenario if they sue is that you'd be liable for another month's rent, maybe two -- if they sue at all. For reassurance, see if you can talk to Legal Aid, but every day you stay there is costing you money that will add up fast, so your focus should be on getting out ASAP. Don't let yourself be paralyzed by fear & anxiety about the unknown. You didn't get into this situation by choice, but how you react to it IS your choice.

Easy to give advice from afar, I know. Most people in your shoes would feel anxious too. But sometimes you just gotta leap.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Your situation defies my understanding. How long was your lease? I have never had one for longer than 12 months. You say you have been out of work for 9 months and you no longer receive unemployment payments. Are you saying that 4 months ago with 1 month left on a typical 6 month unemployment run, that you renewed your lease for another year? Are you sure you aren't trolling us?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Leases over 12 months are fairly common in this area. Mine is 18 months.

Forced, the Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant Act 55-248.33 and 55-248.35 is what you need to look at. Per state law the landlord is required to try to re-rent the property and then you are only responsible for the difference. Also, any lawsuit would probably be in small claims court and the small claims limit in VA is $5000.

Honestly...you should move. I'm 100% an "ask permission" type but you really don't have a choice unless you go get one of the jobs people keep bringing up. You need to take some sort of action. No more sitting around telling us why you can't do something. Just get out there and do it.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

I have to disagree with the majority here. Maybe it's only a Wisconsin thing but I know that around here you can't just break a lease whenever you want. The landlord can and will sue you and put a lien on you. A lease is a contract that you need to fulfill or there will be consequences. Maybe it varies from state to state and I agree that the OP should look into the details for his area. The OP should only consider breaking the lease if he's certain he'll never buy a property and also won't need a good credit rating for the next decade or so or a good rental reference.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

In light of landlords responsibility to fill the vacancy if you leave, what is the current vacancy rate in your bldg? If someone anonymously inquired about a unit comparable to yours, are they readily available?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post
There has been an incredible number of replies and views of my posting. It shows that early retirement is not all smiles and joy for many.
Though you clearly would love this to be true, it isn't. What is true is that many people here are very helpful, and perhaps a bit slow to recognize a human entropy generator.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

LOL! The OP just needs a little hand holding and some encouragement
Old 09-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
LOL! The OP just needs a little hand holding and some encouragement
You can lead a horse to water but you .........

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have to disagree with the majority here. Maybe it's only a Wisconsin thing but I know that around here you can't just break a lease whenever you want. The landlord can and will sue you and put a lien on you. A lease is a contract that you need to fulfill or there will be consequences. Maybe it varies from state to state and I agree that the OP should look into the details for his area. The OP should only consider breaking the lease if he's certain he'll never buy a property and also won't need a good credit rating for the next decade or so or a good rental reference.

It does vary from state to state, and in some cases in a city...

Just my guess, but since OP is renting now I doubt he is looking to buy...

I also do not think his credit would be bad for 10 years... maybe 1 or 2....

LAST... to the OP... another option since some people are mentioning it... what ARE the laws in your state IOW, if it takes them a few months to evict you.... just stop paying the rent... tell them you lost your job and cannot find a new one... once you get a job you will be happy to start paying rent again.... if it does take months to evict, then I bet anything they will agree to let you out of your lease... or, just stay there and live rent free for awhile...

From what I have seen on the news there was someone who lived for over 6 months rent free... they would never answer to get served... and since you could not evict without a court case and if you are not served there is not court case... you can drag it along.... now, for me I would not go down this road as I would bet they would come and try to collect... but not paying the rent for a couple of months I might do....
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I spent 30 yrs living in apartments in several states. All but one of them required 1 year leases. ...

They also all said either party, lessee or lessor, could end the lease for any reason with, usually, 30 days written notice. New York I think had a 60 day clause. ...
I'm curious about this. In that case, what makes it a one year lease? Sounds like a 30 or 60 day lease with a 1 year maximum term?

I just looked through my daughter's lease, it's a standard contract (the landlady is a RE agent), and I didn't see anything like that.

-ERD50
Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #175

Having a hard time reading all 9 Pages because I'm doing this on my cell phone. Computer is dead. Not sure I'm getting another one.

That said, isn't the landlord required to attempt to rent the apartment once you give notice? I mean don't they have to mitigate the damages at some regards? That's the first question you should be asking your local Agency on Aging.

The second comment that I have is that tax preparation stores will be gearing up very very soon. If you have collected unemployment, are you eligible for training benefits? I know tax preparation at one of the stores, that would be H&R Block, Liberty Tax, Jackson Hewitt, and the like, only pay minimum wage plus maybe 10%. But if you got a job with one of them you could utilize that 4 month employment for another 6 months of unemployment.

Plus we are going into the holiday season. What about retail just to get you through the holiday season until taxes start up again

Anything you can do to save dipping into your 300,000 savings will go a very long way. Working a minimum-wage job at a tax store is not going to increase your Social Security. But by limiting the amount that you have to take out of your retirement savings you will increase your overall take home.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #176
Full time employment: Posting here.

Option A: Stay in apartment for 8 months, earn nothing, burn off cash for rent plus living expenses.

Option B: Immediately relocate to a job in a lower COL area. Earn money. Pay rent at new place, plus living expenses. If it suits you, also pay rent for existing apartment.

So long as new income exceeds cost of rental unit at new location, you will be money ahead at the end of the game.

There are places in low cost of living areas that pay $15/hr plus full benefits. I saw healt insurance mentioned as $27 every two weeks for a family of 2. One or two bedroom apartments for under $500.

Do the math. You can survive with a job like this. Staying in the existing apartment and complaining about how unfair life is will end poorly.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

I hope that you have not paid your September rent. If you cut off the spigot of $$$$ then perhaps the management company will get serious. With any luck they will evict you.

Have you seen that lawyer yet?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #178

If evicted in California the tenant will still owe rent until it is re-rented
Old 09-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Surprised that nobody has asked for pictures of the apt., I mean a $2,500/mo apt wow.... are the taps gold plated ?

I have to wonder how dumb was OP to rent such an expensive apt. in the first place ?
What job did you do OP that earned enough for this $2,500 apt. and everything else in life, which should have included stashing a lot away for retirement since you are sooooo old.

Did you get your haircut and dye it, or is it just easier to continue to blame younger people and immigrants because you can't get a job since you haven't really tried in 9 months.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #180

1. 2500 apartment rent is not unusual, it's cheap here
2. Personal attacks unwarranted IMHO just bc he's concerned about making retirement work
Closed Thread