Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else hoping for a market plunge?
Old 09-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone else hoping for a market plunge?

Ok, this will be sacrilege to some, but I find myself daydreaming about a stock market plunge. The reason is that it's inevitable that it will occur at some point, there are a lot of indicators saying it should be relatively soon, and the sooner we get there, the sooner there will be buying opportunities and also the sooner we can start recovering from it and moving toward higher highs. As they say, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Anyone else share my daydream?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, I stay fully investing according to my AA, so "buying opportunities" would be wasted on me. It doesn't help to jump in on a 15% drop if I've missed out on a 25% run up.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I did for a couple of years, but the relative leveling-off of the market recently has made me a bit more comfortable. In engineering lingo, an unstable system is one that over-reacts to stimuli. This market has been stimulated in unbelievable ways and remains stable. At some point we will take a hit, but we will ride it through just as we have for every other hit since 1987. So I am not hoping for a hit nor am I worrying about it. Just coasting.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nooooo! Although I think it may within a year. No crystal ball. I just like where it is and I'm not in accumulation phase anymore. I have plenty to buy low just don't have the years to make up the losses from a market plunge.

But good luck to all of you still fighting the good fight and working toward RE. I already found my "Big Rock Candy Mountain".

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
Ok, this will be sacrilege to some, but I find myself daydreaming about a stock market plunge. The reason is that it's inevitable that it will occur at some point, there are a lot of indicators saying it should be relatively soon, and the sooner we get there, the sooner there will be buying opportunities and also the sooner we can start recovering from it and moving toward higher highs. As they say, "The waiting is the hardest part."
Moving toward higher highs? Like where we'd be anyway without a plunge?

Plunges are inevitable. Taking advantage of them is wise; I always look for bargains when that happens.

But I don't see the connection of 'moving toward higher highs' and a severe market drop however. I don't see a plunge as a causation.

If you're just talking about a correction, I tend to ignore them. IMO, '08 was a once in a lifetime buying opportunity and a once in a lifetime lesson in not panicking.

But one could argue that the only thing '08 did was delay prices to get to where they would've been eventually at some point in time; it didn't accelerate 'higher highs'.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post

Anyone else share my daydream?
People in retirement would more than likely not share this daydream vs. perhaps some working folks.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

no please

Major sequence of returns risk for me. Of course, there ultimately will be some type of drawdown in the future. When......nobody knows. My budget is setup to survive a 30% drawdown.

That being said. I am staying fully invested. I'm fully diversified. I went through 1987 and everything up till today
Old 09-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #8

No, but I always like a "good dip"!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #9

Why?
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #10

Yes, actually. Opportunity
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Nope. Not in the least.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
People in retirement would more than likely not share this daydream vs. perhaps some working folks.
Bingo! When I was w*rking, and accumulating, downturns meant I got more shares for my money.

On a side note, when I was working and nearing retirement (2015) I remember all the young folk cheering the recovery in stock prices. I reminded them that it was good for me, but they should be hoping for the market to stay down for a much longer time.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Hope is not a strategy. Get a better plan.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I’d never hope for a downturn, but I’ve planned for it whenever it happens. I’m a long term investor, not a market timer.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

No, not sure why anyone would be HOPING for a plunge. It will happen and could last many years when it does.

For me not a good thing to hope for, there will be a bear market at sometime and I'm ready but many may not be.

Your time to invest when it heads south will come soon enough.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
No, not sure why anyone would be HOPING for a plunge. It will happen and could last many years when it does.

For me not a good thing to hope for, there will be a bear market at sometime and I'm ready but many may not be.

Your time to invest when it heads south will come soon enough.

Anyone who is not with 2-3yrs of fire should be hoping for a plunge, time to buy cheaply and severely reduces your odds of sequence of returns risk.
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #17
Administrator

The only thing a plunge will do for me would be to enable a greater percentage of my IRA to be converted to a Roth
Old 09-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Not looking/hoping for one, but am prepared if it happens. Will it be fun? Most likely not...especially how the mouth breathers that present the "news" will spin it.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Why?
Because I want to be able to sell into the next rally or I want to move from a outperforming sector into a underperforming sector or just want to arbitrage.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-man View Post
Anyone who is not with 2-3yrs of fire should be hoping for a plunge, time to buy cheaply and severely reduces your odds of sequence of returns risk.
True, but something I wouldn't hope for because many could get hurt also.
street is online now   Reply With Quote