Anyone else obsessed with FIRECalc?

no, because I prefer a different calculator. But remember that all these calculators provide warm fuzzies.. a good feeling and your mileage my vary

Which calculator do you prefer?

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP

the can I retire question has be answered. Don't run these any more unless I change the parameters significantly

I’m confused

You said “ I run a different calculator “. Do you have a link to the calculator you run?

I run Fido's retirement planner at least twice (sporadic) a month. With all our money at Fidelity, it is easy to use. I figure that if you are good with their most pessimistic scenario, then all is good.

[MOD EDIT]

Not a fan of I-ORP with its too many numbers. I like graphs.

Then there are:
https://calculator.ficalc.app
https://pralanaretirementcalculator.com
https://www.ontrajectory.com
https://www.newretirement.com

Thanks for these "new toys" :) Do you know if this one https://calculator.ficalc.app accounts for Social Security or do I have to put it in as "Additional income"? I looked but couldn't find out if it does or not.

I’m confused

You said “ I run a different calculator “. Do you have a link to the calculator you run?
RIP is fidelity Retirement Income Planner (RIP) I would expect it has been linked.

I did not say RIP was a new to the thread calculator.

Well, when I used it for the first time, yes, I put SS in as additional income, and checked "inflation adjusted."

Thanks! It made a pretty big difference when I tried it without, and then with, SS. I liked the result with much better, even when I gave SS a 25% haircut!:)

I used to run it a lot in the first few years, now hardly ever.
I do run Fido's planner a couple times a year usually when contemplating a large purchase.
I like that it never comes back with a "You may run short of funds xx" any more. Shocking how the lack of 2020 spending, market increases in 2020, and one year closer to death bumped the likely end balance number when I looked in January.

I used to run it a lot in the first few years, now hardly ever.
I do run Fido's planner a couple times a year usually when contemplating a large purchase.
I like that it never comes back with a "You may run short of funds xx" any more. Shocking how the lack of 2020 spending, market increases in 2020, and one year closer to death bumped the likely end balance number when I looked in January.

For several years, I kept telling FIRECalc that my time horizon was (still) 30 years. I finally quit doing that. I found I could use less and less equities in my mix of assets and still come out okay. I guess there IS one advantage of getting older, but YMMV.:cool:

For several years, I kept telling FIRECalc that my time horizon was (still) 30 years. I finally quit doing that. I found I could use less and less equities in my mix of assets and still come out okay. I guess there IS one advantage of getting older, but YMMV.:cool:

Interesting observation. Do many early early-retirees (who are now >65 years old) actually reduce their retirement planner assumptions below 30 years? I'm still using 37 years, soon to notch down to 36, but hadn't really thought about when to stop decrementing.

It seems to me that keeping 30 years as your horizon, even into your 70s is another conservatism for the belt and suspenders set. Then again, once into your 70s it is not obvious that retirement planners are very useful any more.

Interesting observation. Do many early early-retirees (who are now >65 years old) actually reduce their retirement planner assumptions below 30 years? I'm still using 37 years, soon to notch down to 36, but hadn't really thought about when to stop decrementing.

It seems to me that keeping 30 years as your horizon, even into your 70s is another conservatism for the belt and suspenders set. Then again, once into your 70s it is not obvious that retirement planners are very useful any more.

I only recently stopped using 30 years on FireCalc et al. That was due, not so much the heart attack, but the magnitude heart attack. I also realized I am going on 64 and for years had been using 90 as max-age. If I inadvertently limped a year or two past that it wouldn't upset the numbers. But four years past 90 is a small enough chance. With the current medical status it's pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:
Interesting observation. Do many early early-retirees (who are now >65 years old) actually reduce their retirement planner assumptions below 30 years?

I update mine yearly to whatever number of years takes me to the age at which the tables say my chance of living past that age is less than 10%. I try to avoid putting large amounts of conservatism in too many input variables.

I just turned 66 and I still use 30 years as my goal...

Unless health information changes, I will continue to use 95 as the ending year, so 34 is the remaining number and take it down yearly.

No. Ive used it once or twice. Its clunky imo. I dont need some advanced calculator to predict if Ill have enough money. I can do that on my own. Its not that hard to figure out what you need. If you know how much you spend, basic arithmetic will let you know how much you needs.

No. Ive used it once or twice. Its clunky imo. I dont need some advanced calculator to predict if Ill have enough money. I can do that on my own. Its not that hard to figure out what you need. If you know how much you spend, basic arithmetic will let you know how much you needs.

I think it is kind of hard.

You need to account for inflation, $50K income today has the buying power of $122k in thirty years.
How do you calculate stock market returns?
How do you incorporate major pullbacks in the market.

Can you show the basic arithmetic to tell me what I need?
I spend $55,000 a year in today's dollars and 66yrs old I'll say the money needs to last 25 years.

Actually, FireCalc doesn't predict whether you'll have enough money. No calculator or application can do that. It shows you whether your stash would have lasted every other retirement period in the past, for as long as market data has been available.

If you're invested in less volatile instruments than equities, then you can probably get by with just basic arithmetic, as long as you factor in for inflation. One thing that FireCalc does, which can be helpful, is to account for the risk inherent in the sequence of returns, which can be a significant factor for any long-term investment in stocks. If you tried to do that on your own, you'd have a lot of data to input!

FireCalc has a lot of fans here but, of course, there are many other ways of doing things.

Your signature:

Contentedly ER, with 3 furry friends (now, sadly, 1).
Planning my escape to the wide open spaces in my campervan (with my remaining kitty, of course!)
On a mission to become the world's second most boring man.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Love it!

Actually, FireCalc doesn't predict whether you'll have enough money. No calculator or application can do that. It shows you whether your stash would have lasted every other retirement period in the past, for as long as market data has been available.

I understand the Firecalc uses historical market returns for it's calculations. It far from perfect, but what else is there?

If you're invested in less volatile instruments than equities, then you can probably get by with just basic arithmetic, as long as you factor in for inflation. One thing that FireCalc does, which can be helpful, is to account for the risk inherent in the sequence of returns, which can be a significant factor for any long-term investment in stocks. If you tried to do that on your own, you'd have a lot of data to input!

FireCalc has a lot of fans here but, of course, there are many other ways of doing things.[/QUOTE]

My post was mostly to point out that it is not all the simple.
You might say 30 yrs, $50k a year, I need $1.5M. But wait, what about inflation, OK I can inflate my $50k by 3% each year and add them all up and I now need $2,274,226, be cause my last check needs to be $122k.
Now we need to back out any growth of your nest egg. Not all that easy.

I understand the Firecalc uses historical market returns for it's calculations. It far from perfect, but what else is there?

FireCalc has a lot of fans here but, of course, there are many other ways of doing things.

My post was mostly to point out that it is not all the simple.
You might say 30 yrs, $50k a year, I need $1.5M. But wait, what about inflation, OK I can inflate my $50k by 3% each year and add them all up and I now need $2,274,226, be cause my last check needs to be $122k.
Now we need to back out any growth of your nest egg. Not all that easy.[/QUOTE]

giphy.gif

I used a similar program but stopped using it a few years before retirement. I no longer needed it.

Problem seems easy enough to me....simply stop using it.

Back
Top Bottom