Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am down quite a bit from my personal high-water mark, but that was set back in July 2014.

Then, I figured out how much I have spent since then, and the real loss was not so bad. It's only 10% or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I am down a Ferrari since the 2015 peak.
So far, my peak portfolio was in May 2015. I'm off about 10% from there. And, yes, it would easily buy a Ferrari.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
So far, my peak portfolio was in May 2015. I'm off about 10% from there. And, yes, it would easily buy a Ferrari.
+1, except in my case it wouldn't buy a Ferrari, unless it was used.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this like getting on the scale? I've lost the same 5 pounds over and over and I can't tell you how many times I 'lost' 100k. Keep wearing the same pants.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am down quite a bit from my personal high-water mark, but that was set back in July 2014.

Then, I figured out how much I have spent since then, and the real loss was not so bad. It's only 10% or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sounds like someone either had a lot of EM equity, or oil and gas investments.

Ha
I overweighted in both , until I sold in mid 2015. Yes, that was why my portfolio peaked long before the S&P, then ebbed. I was not overweighted in these sectors initially, but you know what happens when one does not sell high. The market god takes it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1, except in my case it wouldn't buy a Ferrari, unless it was used.
I never shopped for a Ferrari nor was curious until now, so did not know how much a new Ferrari goes for. So, this is what the Web tells me.

Quote:
Ferrari car prices range from $188,425 and go upwards of $400,000.
OK, so my 10% loss is indeed somewhere in this range.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Is this like getting on the scale? I've lost the same 5 pounds over and over and I can't tell you how many times I 'lost' 100k. Keep wearing the same pants.
I love it! Yes, I can see some similarities, that's for sure.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
I never shopped for a Ferrari nor was curious until now, so did not know how much a new Ferrari goes for. So, this is what the Web tells me.

$188k-$400k

OK, so my 10% loss is indeed somewhere in this range.
Yes my price point was $250K and I was using it as a surrogate for multiple Honda Civics.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

Lost a little less than 6% from my May 2015 high. But have an FA (still working at mega crop). Maybe I'm getting getting some bang for the buck I pay in fees (<0.5%).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Hangingitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Where are all of you folks losing this money? If you lost some, there must be someone else who won an exact amount. Are they posting on a different thread?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:09 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Where are all of you folks losing this money? If you lost some, there must be someone else who won an exact amount. Are they posting on a different thread?
In some cases, we (I) know exactly who "won" mine, but I don't think any of them post here.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

A hurricane or a twister blows through town, destroying properties. Everybody loses money. Does anyone gain?

Same with the stock market. A few guys who bet against the market and short stocks make some money, but these stock shorters are far and few in between, and their gains are minuscule compared to the "losses".

From beginning of year to Jan 25 (last Monday), the US stock market drop was $1.7 trillion. The number for the entire world market was $3.2 trillion. And same as many posters here, I contributed a mid-range Ferrari to the altar of the market god.

Poof, up in smoke! No, just poof, not even smoke.

Oh wait, not even a poof when Quicken tallied up the numbers to report at the bottom of its screen. Quicken does not emit a beep or any sound when it completes the screen update. I think Quicken should make a Bronx cheer when your portfolio goes down, and some jubilant sound when it goes up.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had with my DW a few years ago. It was a good day in the market and I proudly told her we made $xxx,xxx today. She responded by asking me if this was money we had already made before? Alas, it was. Deflated me a bit.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:42 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Hey, every day when the market closes, I tell my wife the number at the bottom of the Quicken screen. When the market reverses after a string of down days, she would say "OK, nowhere where we were, but at least the bleeding stops".

I think my wife is getting much better at handling the vagaries of the market. Before, she would say "Woulda, shoulda, coulda sell off everything when it was high". I used to have to remind her that we are still higher than previous highs, which were of course impossible to time perfectly. I do not have to tell her that anymore.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:53 PM   #73

Quote:
Hey, every day when the market closes, I tell my wife the number at the bottom of the Quicken screen. When the market reverses after a string of down days, she would say "OK, nowhere where we were, but at least the bleeding stops".

I think my wife is getting much better at handling the vagaries of the market. Before, she would say "Woulda, shoulda, coulda sell off everything when it was high". I used to have to remind her that we are still higher than previous highs, which were of course impossible to time perfectly. I do not have to tell her that anymore.
My DW has almost the same credentials and experience I have. Nothing of significance gets by her. I think sometimes she plays a little "dumb" or uninformed just to gratify my ego. I am a lucky man.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A hurricane or a twister blows through town, destroying properties. Everybody loses money. Does anyone gain?
Absolutely, people who rebuild the infrastructure, homes, fences, debris removal, etc. I know whenever a simple hailstorm comes through this part of the country the roofing contractors seem to come out of the woodwork. I suspect they are all making a lot of money quickly.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

My investment portfolio was down about 8% at its worst. Overall liquid net worth fell about 5% -- not enough to buy a Ferrari, but maybe a decently equipped new Lexus.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Absolutely, people who rebuild the infrastructure, homes, fences, debris removal, etc. I know whenever a simple hailstorm comes through this part of the country the roofing contractors seem to come out of the woodwork. I suspect they are all making a lot of money quickly.
Yes, but the gain is indirect and comes from additional labor and fresh material being put up. What is lost by the victims is wealth destroyed, same as in war. The wealth is not transferred like a bag of gold coins getting passed from a robbery victim to a robber.

Speaking of robbers, the bankers that were guilty in the mortgage fiasco of 2008 were wiped out too, or at least the ones not getting TARP'ed.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are mistaken about this. If these were commodity contracts, or options, you would be right, as one will always have a counter party. But who is your counter party when you own 500 shares of Apple? Prices on the stock exchange can go up and down merely because people are more or less eager to exchange money for already existing shares.

Prices can change markedly with very few shares actually trading.

Ha
Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Well then, my portfolio is like my scale: mostly up with a few drops that are soon recovered

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

All of this Ferrari talk has me nervous. I check my portfolio on the last day of each month. Haven't checked it since 12/31/2015. I need to do it by COB tomorrow and I better not be down a Ferrari.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is not actually how it works.

Markets can have trillions vanish into thin air. No one "got" that money. It just went poof.

Market capitalizations rise and fall on the whims of investors.