Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I filed a paper return in mid-March and just got my refund last week. I am definitely filling electronically again this coming year.
My plan is to avoid a refund!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I managed that for 30+ years then I got divorced and two years later got remarried. That screwed up all my well established tax withholding amounts. I only filed a paper return because that was what was required to apply for an ITIN for my new wife. Then it all got caught up in Covid. I will undoubtedly have a hefty refund next year and hopefully after that I will go back to near zero refunds.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #203
Recycles dryer sheets

My son filed in February. Still no refund.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I managed that for 30+ years then I got divorced and two years later got remarried. That screwed up all my well established tax withholding amounts. I only filed a paper return because that was what was required to apply for an ITIN for my new wife. Then it all got caught up in Covid. I will undoubtedly have a hefty refund next year and hopefully after that I will go back to near zero refunds.
Yes. I kind of outsmarted myself and ended up with big refund. I'm under-withheld at present but plan to fix that-sharp pencil this time.

And if I end with a small refund I will roll it into 2021.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #205

I got a bill from the IRS for a hefty sum a few months ago. It turns out that the IRS didn't record one of my quarterly payments. I sent an image of the cancelled check and have heard NOTHING. Sigh, I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else on this thread.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #206
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Yes, that totally solves the problem... do some tax planning so you owe a little.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #207
Recycles dryer sheets

Well finally got my refund direct deposited plus a good amount of interest to top it off. I had contacted my Congressman in desperation a couple of months ago and was assigned a very helpful IRS taxpayer advocate to help case.

We were due a very large refund because it was the first year we held our income low to get the ACA credit. Well that caused the IRS to "flag" the return and ask for more information, form 1095-SA to verify we paid the full ACA premium. That was in March right when IRS closed offices so my reply sat un-opened in a trailer full of mail until mid-June when I at least got the registered mail receipt back.

Working with the IRS advocate I was able to email additional proof to her that we did indeed pay premiums and were covered all of 2019 and she then forwarded the info to the IRS auditors. She would call me every 2 weeks to update me on progress and finally on Dec 11 told me that Dec 16 would be the day, which did happen! Now time to pay our 2nd half or property taxes due 1/3/2021.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Life in these covid times. Good to hear you got it resolved.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #209
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch57 View Post
Well finally got my refund direct deposited plus a good amount of interest to top it off. [...]
Whew, what a nightmare! I hope nothing like that ever happens to you again, or to any of us.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

DS is still waiting for a refund for a return e-filed in the spring.

Old 12-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #211
Recycles dryer sheets

Posted an amended return in late April that netted me about $350. Received it about 3 weeks ago. Probably coincidence, but it was 2-3 weeks after I logged into the IRS site to check the status, which was (in so many words) we received it, don't call us, we'll call you.
cat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:56 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
Posted an amended return in late April that netted me about $350. Received it about 3 weeks ago. Probably coincidence, but it was 2-3 weeks after I logged into the IRS site to check the status, which was (in so many words) we received it, don't call us, we'll call you.
I'm still waiting for a couple hundred bucks from an amended return I mailed in May. Same status on their site, so your post makes me hopeful I'll see it soon.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm still waiting for a couple hundred bucks from an amended return I mailed in May. Same status on their site, so your post makes me hopeful I'll see it soon.
Guess I spoke too soon. Last month it was "in process" and today it says they have no information about it. Not sure what to do now. They say it normally takes 16 weeks for a refund from an amended return, but it's now been more than twice that.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

I'm frustrated for my son... I filed his 2019 return electronically for him on May 19, 2020 with an $879 refund. Then he received a letter from the IRS asking about a 1095-A which we missed so we sent a letter in response... the letter had instructed not to file an amended return. Adding the 1095-A information increased his refund by $109 to $988. The "Where's My Refund" site has shown for month that they have his return.

As a result of all of this, he didn't get the most recent $600 stimulus payment (even though he received the early 2020 stimulus payment of $1,200).

So at ths point, they owe him $1,588. Its a good thing that he is LBYM and isn't desparate for the money like many other people might be.

I've tried calling numerous times and get into their telephone hell. Does anyone know of a number I can call and talk to a real person? (I am his third-party designee on his tax return).

Old 01-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #215
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi... I mentioned earlier in this thread how to reach a person at the IRS... bumping it up..good luck

Here are the steps you need to take to reach a real person on the phone at the IRS.

Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
 - Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about.
 - An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
 - Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
 - Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
 - A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
 - Any letters or notices we sent you
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.
tennisno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #216
Recycles dryer sheets

We are still waiting for our $18000 refund which was stolen due to our accountants Intuit software being hacked. I first posted about this in early April. The IRS verified finally that we were the victims of identity fraud and the latest estimate for our refund to be sent is mid-February. However a woman I spoke to early last week at the IRS told me that they don't process anything the first three weeks of January, so the mid-February date could be extended by 3 more weeks. We won't be receiving the second stimulus as a check because they won't have the return processed before the 15th.

We have had our best luck contacting real people at the IRS by pressing 2 for Spanish and waiting in that queue. It is a much shorter wait and they will speak to you in English.

We were given super secret PIN numbers to use on our subsequent tax returns to prevent fraud. I'm wondering how these numbers would prevent what happened to us, as the hackers got into the software after the return was prepared and was on its way to the IRS.
Any thought?
orchid55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:13 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

$18,000 refund? Ouch!
Old 01-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisno1 View Post
Hi... I mentioned earlier in this thread how to reach a person at the IRS... bumping it up..good luck

Here are the steps you need to take to reach a real person on the phone at the IRS.

Before you call, make sure you have all of the information that you need.
 - Social Security cards and birth dates for those who were on the return you are calling about.
 - An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letter if you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN)
 - Filing status – Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate
 - Your prior-year tax return. We may need to verify your identity before answering certain questions
 - A copy of the tax return you’re calling about
 - Any letters or notices we sent you
The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.
The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Finally, press 4 for all other inquiries. The system should then transfer you to an agent.
I tried that and it didn't work, but I'll try it again.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:28 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid55 View Post
We were given super secret PIN numbers to use on our subsequent tax returns to prevent fraud. I'm wondering how these numbers would prevent what happened to us, as the hackers got into the software after the return was prepared and was on its way to the IRS.
Any thought?
For the hackers to succeed again, they'd have to know your super secret PIN. I believe it is mailed out to taxpayers, so they'd have to (a) know you have a PIN, (b) intercept your US mail, (c) open it (an additional felony of mail fraud), (d) reseal it and forward it on to you in a way you can't detect, (e) file a return with your PIN before you do.

I'm also pretty sure you get new PIN numbers each year, and each individual taxpayer has a PIN, so if you're MFJ then the hackers would have to do it for both you and your spouse.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:33 AM   #220
Recycles dryer sheets

We mailed our return at the end of March and the first week of November got a notice we omitted a form. As a result our refund will be 6k instead of 5k, but I've not heard/seen anything further. I've never seen anything like this.
sturbridge is offline   Reply With Quote