Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2020, 06:14 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wonder if self-filers have to wait longer? Our CPA filed our return in April. State and Federal refunds were direct-deposited a week later.
AFAIK, the IRS doesn't distinguish between people who file their own returns vs. those that are done through a paid preparer in the processing of the returns.

A paid preparer is generally able to file electronically, which helps speed things up dramatically. Direct deposit also makes things go faster.

And of course a paid preparer might also help in the case of an audit or adjustment.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I e-filed using Turbotax on February 15th, and my refund from the IRS was deposited to my checking account ten days later on February 25th. Then on April 15th my government stimulus money was deposited.

Just reading this thread I am realizing how lucky I was this year. I can't imagine waiting this long to get a refund from the IRS. It's JUNE for heaven's sake. I'd be freaking out.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Still no refund here either...

And had requested direct deposit...

Well, false initial report... I DID get the refund in a couple of weeks...

Lots of stuff going on so I missed it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Well, false initial report... I DID get the refund in a couple of weeks...

Lots of stuff going on so I missed it...
So glad you got it!!! And yes, like you many of us have numerous fascinating pursuits to occupy our minds and I can sure relate to having missed it.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:58 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
2018 Refund - MIA

I owed the Feds for 2019 but I had filed an amended return for 2018 in January 2019. I called in February and was told it had been received and I would receive the refund in early April. No such luck. And rather than sit on the phone for hours asking yet again, I've decided to just wait it out.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:32 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I filed on paper in early March. I always did- the tinfoil hat person in my brain doesn't want to give the gummint any more detail than I have to electronically. I had a $4,600 refund coming- unusual but my investment results fluctuate a lot and the capital gains distributions come in late in the year.

So... I decided I could afford to have quartz countertops put in. I waited and waited and waited for the refund... then found out what everyone else knows here. The countertops are in, the charges put on the credit card, the bill paid in full from other funds.

I know the IRS says not to e-file if you filed on paper but I consulted my brother, a CPA and retired tax partner at a large CPA firm and he said to e-file. That was 3 weeks ago today. Accepted and in process.

They cashed my Estimated Tax payment for Q1 promptly, of course.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I always did paper filing, but my GF started working at HR Block and insisted I file through her for free. That worked perfectly. I got my refund in a few weeks. And even better, I filed late enough that the stimulus check calculation used my 2018 tax return which doubled my stimulus amount.

Talk about luck....
PhrugalPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Filed electronically in February with direct deposit. Havenít received yet. Called IRS about delay, and was told it would take another 7 weeks because of backlog. That was more than 10 weeks ago. 😬
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #49
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello, I reached and IRS representative today 6/9 because I mailed a paper Fed refund on April 2, I have not received my refund yet. The rep told me that the IRS office in Utah has just started to open and the Texas offices will start to open next week. She said the mail is back logged and that it could be as late as April before I could expect to get my refund. I asked if i should send in another reform, she said no not to do that because it would only confuse the process. I asked if July 15, came and I still could not get a status on my refund if I would be penalized. She said no because there is no penalty when you are getting a refund.
angelfly55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow. Glad you asked this question. I am still waiting for my refund too.

For the first time in over a decade I filed my 2019 taxes using a paper 1040 form rather than an electronic submission. I needed to do it this way because we needed to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for my Thai wife. We got a letter from the IRS with my wifeís ITIN in mid-March so I am assuming my tax form can be considered filed at that time. At the same time I filed my California taxes electronically and got my CA refund about 2 weeks later. Paper vs electronic really makes a difference.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post

For the first time in over a decade I filed my 2019 taxes using a paper 1040 form rather than an electronic submission. I needed to do it this way because we needed to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for my Thai wife. We got a letter from the IRS with my wifeís ITIN in mid-March so I am assuming my tax form can be considered filed at that time. At the same time I filed my California taxes electronically and got my CA refund about 2 weeks later. Paper vs electronic really makes a difference.
I thought you could file federal returns electronically with an ITIN. Of course you need a valid ITIN and they expire after a certain number of years, so in your case you may have needed to file the W-7 to get a current one for your wife, but then after you have the new ITIN I'm pretty sure you can file electronically with it at the federal level.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I thought you could file federal returns electronically with an ITIN. Of course you need a valid ITIN and they expire after a certain number of years, so in your case you may have needed to file the W-7 to get a current one for your wife, but then after you have the new ITIN I'm pretty sure you can file electronically with it at the federal level.
We were applying for the ITIN for the first time. Our 2019 joint return was part of the documents required.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:33 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I filed electronically on Feb 1st as we are getting a $16,281 refund based on ACA. We kept of MAGI below the limit for 2019 to get the refund of our premium. Well in mid-March IRS sends a letter they needed a 1095 form, which I promptly to Kansas City office sent via registered mail, return receipt requested.
USPS tracking said letter was delivered Mar 23 but I found it odd that I never got the return receipt postcard. I kept checking IRS site but my refund was in process and no other info. I then saw an article in Washington Post about the IRS shutdown and trailer trucks full of mail just piling up, day after day. From what I hear they opened the office on June 1st but I still haven't seen anything.
Was counting on that money and we have always received our refund (if we had one coming) within 3 weeks after filing so needed to make some budget adjustments. Plus our "stimulus" checks are tied to our 2019 filing, which is incomplete so no $2400 for us right now.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:12 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch57 View Post
Was counting on that money and we have always received our refund (if we had one coming) within 3 weeks after filing so needed to make some budget adjustments. Plus our "stimulus" checks are tied to our 2019 filing, which is incomplete so no $2400 for us right now.
If they donít have your 2019 tax return processed then they should use your 2018 return. I got my stimulus check the first week they were sending them out. Actually, an electronic deposit. I havenít seen my 2019 refund yet.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I filed electronically on Feb 1st as we are getting a $16,281 refund based on ACA. We kept of MAGI below the limit for 2019 to get the refund of our premium. Well in mid-March IRS sends a letter they needed a 1095 form, which I promptly to Kansas City office sent via registered mail, return receipt requested.
USPS tracking said letter was delivered Mar 23 but I found it odd that I never got the return receipt postcard. I kept checking IRS site but my refund was in process and no other info. I then saw an article in Washington Post about the IRS shutdown and trailer trucks full of mail just piling up, day after day. From what I hear they opened the office on June 1st but I still haven't seen anything.
I thought the 1095 (A) form was not officially part of documentation needed to be filed for ACA refunds/reconciliations.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:36 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Many posters here used electronic filing and still haven't received a refund.
Probably more depends on the timing of the filing and luck of the draw.
I know many folks who filed electronically later than me (late Feb) and already received their refund.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If they donít have your 2019 tax return processed then they should use your 2018 return. I got my stimulus check the first week they were sending them out. Actually, an electronic deposit. I havenít seen my 2019 refund yet.
Our AGI was too high in 2018 so we don't qualify for that year. That is why we had to pay full ACA premiums in 2019 because no subsidy but it gets returned via 2019 taxes.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I thought the 1095 (A) form was not officially part of documentation needed to be filed for ACA refunds/reconciliations.
It was not officially part of the filing, that is why HR Block tax software didn't include it. However, it looks like during the initial audit they flagged such a large refund and wanted additional documentation to prove we actually qualified because they specifically asked for that form, which I provided.
The letter from IRS said it will then take 6-8 weeks after they get the form to provide a refund so we won't see that money until the fall I predict.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:26 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

I e-filed 5/24 to the IRS and NC. My NC refund is $1556, and I requested direct deposit. I owe the IRS $1438, and I asked to pay with a direct debit on 7/14.

Hopefully, my refund comes before the debit, but I'm not going to hold my breathe.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It was not officially part of the filing, that is why HR Block tax software didn't include it. However, it looks like during the initial audit they flagged such a large refund and wanted additional documentation to prove we actually qualified because they specifically asked for that form, which I provided.
The letter from IRS said it will then take 6-8 weeks after they get the form to provide a refund so we won't see that money until the fall I predict.
Interesting.
I always thought the reason why the 1095 form was not needed to be filed, was that the IRS receives this form independently in order to review the information on Form 8962 as part of a matching program.