Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

I mailed our paper return at the beginning of the pandemic in March, and have heard nothing about our refund. Crickets. Then I read about those heaps of paper returns being piled in storage units. But I just sent in estimated quarterly taxes for my husband's small business, and the check was cashed...immediately. Yeah.
bamboogrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
I e-filed 5/24 to the IRS and NC. My NC refund is $1556, and I requested direct deposit. I owe the IRS $1438, and I asked to pay with a direct debit on 7/14.

Hopefully, my refund comes before the debit, but I'm not going to hold my breathe.
I eFiled mine 6/1. Received FED ACK in 8 minutes. I owe so EFTPS will beam out the payment in July. eFiled MD same time. Refund hit bank in 3 days. They have automated a lot with returns that aren't complicated in Maryland.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboogrrrl View Post
I mailed our paper return at the beginning of the pandemic in March, and have heard nothing about our refund. Crickets. Then I read about those heaps of paper returns being piled in storage units. But I just sent in estimated quarterly taxes for my husband's small business, and the check was cashed...immediately. Yeah.
Paper returns are slow in good times and risky IMO. I think it is going to take months to work through the backlog. The workforce won't be going back to business as usual. I'm sure the workplace will be rearranged to create separation and the process will be slower to allow for decontamination of paper.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:51 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still waiting for almost $10K in refunds - since March!
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:32 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Unless I missed it, why doesn't the IRS simply put a notice on its web site describing the issue and anticipated date of normal refund returns? I'm sure it's there someplace but certainly not obvious like it should be.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexman View Post
I e-filed 5/24 to the IRS and NC. My NC refund is $1556, and I requested direct deposit. I owe the IRS $1438, and I asked to pay with a direct debit on 7/14.

Hopefully, my refund comes before the debit, but I'm not going to hold my breathe.
Good news! My NC refund just hit my account!
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
Unless I missed it, why doesn't the IRS simply put a notice on its web site describing the issue and anticipated date of normal refund returns? I'm sure it's there someplace but certainly not obvious like it should be.
Good idea, but don't see it.
Not to mention I don't know why their local office is not open. If they are working from home, what exact work are they doing?
Old 06-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #68

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Good idea, but don't see it.
Not to mention I don't know why their local office is not open. If they are working from home, what exact work are they doing?
See post #5.

That page also says...

Quote:
...the IRS continues to process electronic tax returns, issue direct deposit refunds and accept electronic payments.
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #69

Yeah they are not providing much info, that is for sure.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #70

I sent my return in the last week of February and still haven't received my paper check refund. Govt site just says still processing return. No phone support available either. Can't do much about it except wait.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:53 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Paper returns are slow in good times and risky IMO. I think it is going to take months to work through the backlog. The workforce won't be going back to business as usual. I'm sure the workplace will be rearranged to create separation and the process will be slower to allow for decontamination of paper.
If it sat in a box for months they won't need to worry about decontamination.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Because it's the IRS that's why.....it would be a WAG
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
My two adult daughters both sent in their 2019 taxes by mail around the start of the Corona virus a few months ago and still haven't received paper refund checks from the IRS yet.

I know sending it in by mail is the slow way of doing it but we used my Turbo Tax software and I had already used the one e-file that came with it so my simply printed my daughters out and mailed them.
Talk about a limit

This is Another reason I switched to TaxCut (H&R Block) and haven't looked back for years. Sure it's a little pain to switch, but not much. Then it's easy peasy every year after that.

TaxCut is cheaper, I normally pay ~$21 for the middle version Fed & State.

It included 5 Federal e-file for free.
It does charge per each State filing, so those I print and mail or use the simple online State office return following along my printed out TaxCut one.

I do 4 tax returns each yr, for relatives, so I like the e-file Fed part for them.

It allows a huge number of printed returns to mail (no idea if any limit).
Old 06-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Electronically filed my parents taxes on April 6th and they had their refund deposited on April 13th. Same with our son. Less than a week between electronic filing and his deposit. This is prob the fastest I have ever seen refunds for either of them. Strange times...
Old 06-15-2020, 02:43 PM   #75
Confused about dryer sheets

E-filed in April and got dd refund in two weeks. Paper filed for my MIL also in April and have neither state nor federal refunds.
Also waiting on a "review" of my MIL's 2018 return (and the refund) for which a response was promised by January.
RAMingione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:15 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

We filed electronically in mid March. We miscalculated and overpaid our estimates by way too much. We are still waiting for the Refund deposit to our account.

My Dad filed electronically about the same time. He has a good sized refund that he likes to get in a check. His has not been refunded yet either.

Not happy.
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #77

Still no refund? (Still no refund for me. Filed electronically ar the beginning of April.)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:39 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Still no refund? (Still no refund for me. Filed electronically ar the beginning of April.)
Nope. Still waiting. Good thing I wasn't counting on the money to pay bills.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:37 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

This may or may not affect the OP, but just yesterday I heard that many IRS workers are working from home and that has drastically slowed down the processing of returns that were mailed in (IOW, paper returns) . I heard this in regards to people who are still waiting for their $1200 stimulus payment. But, I imagine it would also affect the refund of excess tax payments.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here. Still waiting for my two daughters to get their refund. Once again I think the issue is that it was mailed instead of electrically filed plus they chose a paper check refund instead of automatic deposit. At the time neither needed the money in a hurry. This all happened just as the Pandemic started 3 months ago. Returns were also sent to the Fresno, CA IRS office which might make a difference. Funny thing is, I owed $20. and my check was cashed/deposited within days.

And now another IRS issue although not as urgent. My recently deceased mother received a $1,200. Stimulus check a couple of months ago by automatic deposit but the IRS eventually asked everyone who got them to return the money. Because I'm the Executer of the estate and don't want IRS problems down the road I sent them a check as repayment.

You guessed it, IRS hasn't cashed the check yet and I can't close out the estate checking account until they do. Our wonderful government.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote