Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Filed electronically on Feb 27th and still no refund and there are others in this thread with similar situations.
Thus the words "almost" and "typically" in my previous post.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm pretty sure the long delays are almost exclusively for paper filers. People who filed electronically (like I did back in February and sounds like you did this month) have typically seen refunds in 7-10 days.
Nope, there's plenty of us here on this forum who filed electronically in March/April and haven't received the refunds yet.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:54 PM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

We filed electronically Mid-April. I kept checking the IRS site and it kept saying they received our return. I hadn't checked in a couple days. But this evening it says that it will be paid on July 31.....if we don't get it by Aug 28, to contact them. They listed the $$ that the check is supposed to be for. A really rough estimate looks like a tad over 3% interest for those days we've been waiting. I don't really know what date they use as the 'start' date for the calculation. Anyhow, better interest than our regular savings account by a good amount. Good luck to those waiting.
Momcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:58 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Original OP again. July 25th here and one of my daughters finally received her check in the mail today after nearly 5 full months. My other daughters return was sent at the same time but no sign of it yet.

At least we have a little progress....
Drake3287 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:31 PM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

So glad to read that some of those with delayed checks, are finally getting their refunds! Such long delays would drive anybody up a wall.

I got mine quickly, purely by luck since I didn't realize that doing my (fairly simple) taxes in February with Turbo-tax could make a difference.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Checked again today.... same message... return is being processed. Glad that he isn't desparate for the refund he has coming, but it's still ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 I e-filed for DS on May 19 and his return was accepted. The email from TurboTax says "Once your refund is issued typically in 3 weeks or less it will be on its way to being all yours via your preferred delivery method." and what they say there is typical with my past experience.

A couple weeks ago I did the "Where's my refund?" and it didn't even have record of the return. A couple days ago I did a "Where's my refund?" and they now say "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

Last year he e-filed on March 23 and received his refund on March 29.

Definitely a huge decline in service.... no real difference in his return between last year and this year... mostly W-2 income, IRA deduction, standard deduction and the retirement saver's tax credit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

I think for us it wasn't so much needing the money as it was wondering if the IRS even received the taxes in the mail in the first place. Not being a huge believer in our local mail service, how do you explain to the IRS months down the road that you acutely did mail it? You can't, all you can do is pay the penalties and refile again.

Like many, we use Turbo Tax so you're only allowed so many electronic filings per purchase, the rest need to be printed and mailed which ordinarily isn't a big deal.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #148
Dryer sheet aficionado

E file accepted April 4 th. No refund yet and still says received and processing on IRS site. No luck getting a IRS rep on the phone
tennisno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
I think for us it wasn't so much needing the money as it was wondering if the IRS even received the taxes in the mail in the first place. Not being a huge believer in our local mail service, how do you explain to the IRS months down the road that you acutely did mail it? You can't, all you can do is pay the penalties and refile again.

Like many, we use Turbo Tax so you're only allowed so many electronic filings per purchase, the rest need to be printed and mailed which ordinarily isn't a big deal.
I don't get your point. If you use TT you know whether or not your return was received and accepted. After that, you can use "Where's My Refund?" to see its status.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

I filed a paper return on Feb. 25, 2020. I received a direct deposit Friday July 24, 2020 of my $33.00 tax refund with an extra 39 cents, which I assume is interest.
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

I was pleasantly surprised with the promptness of my Fed refund this year. I electronically filed on 7/12 and was shocked to see the refund posted to my checking account on 7/20. I didn't do a good job with my estimated taxes in 2019 and the refund was significant which made the promptness especially appreciated.

Now, not a word from the Illinois folks regarding my small state refund. I recently turned 73, so I suppose there's a real chance I won't live long enough to ever see it, even if I make it to my mid-80's. It's probably already in a shoe box on some politician's closet shelf!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I filed a paper return on Feb. 25, 2020. I received a direct deposit Friday July 24, 2020 of my $33.00 tax refund with an extra 39 cents, which I assume is interest.
Yes, 39 cents would be the interest amount up through Friday the 17th. It's interesting that you received the payment a week later. I wonder if they stop paying interest once the deposit is scheduled.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #153

Quote:
I don't get your point. If you use TT you know whether or not your return was received and accepted. After that, you can use "Where's My Refund?" to see its status.
I think he meant that he had used up the 5 free e-files so the returns in question were paper.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #154

Do not despair. I Efiled at about the same time as you and received my refund on July 1st but mine was federal only with no state. Did get extra (3% interest or whatever) on the refund.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisno1 View Post
E file accepted April 4 th. No refund yet and still says received and processing on IRS site. No luck getting a IRS rep on the phone
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You didn't follow the post. These taxes were both printed and mailed simply because the TT I purchased from Costco only allows so many electronic returns per purchase. I had already used up the free ones.

In my case my two daughter's had to do it the old fashion way by mail which typically isn't an issue. The IRS "Where's my refund" site also isn't updated/working like it should be. My daughter who received her check yesterday never had her status show correctly on that site.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Filed my parents return at the end of March on paper. Finally, this past week, got the status of it being accepted and a return by check heading their way by the 29th.
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

We sent in a check and an amended return in mid-April, the IRS just cashed it about a week ago. My accountant (DW) kept asking me WHY I’m finally off the hook.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bonds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #158
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Do not despair. I Efiled at about the same time as you and received my refund on July 1st but mine was federal only with no state. Did get extra (3% interest or whatever) on the refund.
Thanks tmm99- i have no state as well.... you give me hope!!
tennisno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Direct deposit of refund in about 5 days...
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

I filed mine on 7/14/2020 online and received the $ in less than a week. To file U.S. was.free with FreeTaxUSA.com but they charge for State returns.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote