Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Still no refund? (Still no refund for me. Filed electronically ar the beginning of April.)
Still waiting too. Filed Feb 27th.
They are "working" from home.
Kind of like the pilot of the plane working from home.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
OP here. Still waiting for my two daughters to get their refund. Once again I think the issue is that it was mailed instead of electrically filed plus they chose a paper check refund instead of automatic deposit. At the time neither needed the money in a hurry. This all happened just as the Pandemic started 3 months ago. Returns were also sent to the Fresno, CA IRS office which might make a difference. Funny thing is, I owed $20. and my check was cashed/deposited within days.

And now another IRS issue although not as urgent. My recently deceased mother received a $1,200. Stimulus check a couple of months ago by automatic deposit but the IRS eventually asked everyone who got them to return the money. Because I'm the Executer of the estate and don't want IRS problems down the road I sent them a check as repayment.

You guessed it, IRS hasn't cashed the check yet and I can't close out the estate checking account until they do. Our wonderful government.
I filed electronically on 02/27 and waiting. DGF's son filed around Apr 17th electronically and received his refund.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Refund? How do you get one of those?? Somebody is opening mail at the IRS because my check got cashed..
Old 06-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Refund? How do you get one of those?? Somebody is opening mail at the IRS because my check got cashed..
I'm guessing it wasn't the California IRS office.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

DW told me the IRS hasn't cashed the check we sent in on Apr 10. But I'm not worried, I've read the IRS is way behind due to coronavirus.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Funny thing is, I owed $20. and my check was cashed/deposited within days.
Hey! CV19 is dangerous. But, it's not THAT dangerous.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #87

Quote:
No. I can't remember where I sent it- Tennessee? Georgia? Somewhere in the south.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
No. I can't remember where I sent it- Tennessee? Georgia? Somewhere in the south.
If you're in Alabama and you made a payment, you sent it to Charlotte.

Quote:
The Fresno processing center is used if you're not making a payment and you live in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Washington, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin; so there is probably quite a pile of mail waiting there. Looks like they will reopen the building at the end of this month, so if you're waiting for a refund on a paper return sent there, it may be a few more months before you get it.

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-...orkers-in-june

Quote:
Facilities in Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, and Michigan will bring back workers beginning June 15. Indiana, Ohio, California, Oregon, and Puerto Rico will do so beginning June 29.
I wonder if the number of e-filers will increase next year as a result of the long wait for paper return processing this year.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

We certainly won't be e-filing ever again, as our accountant's Intuit account was hacked and our refund (and stimulus check) was paid to someone else's bank account. We had asked for a paper check and instead got nothing. We have filed a fraud report and worked with our congressman's office on this problem. We are still waiting for some action, as the Fraud office won't be open until the end of June and the fraud reports have to be filed on paper. I assume our report is sitting in an mail trailer somewhere in the midwest.
orchid55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:12 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

I'm also still waiting. Filed on paper in early March, then e-filed May 19. (Yeah, I know the IRS says not to do that but they owe me over $4,000 and my brother the retired hotshot tax accountant told me to e-file.)

Still shows up as "in process".
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

They should be padding our refunds with some interest, don't you think? (I know it won't happen, but you know...)
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They should be padding our refunds with some interest, don't you think? (I know it won't happen, but you know...)
Yes, they would use the 1 basis point interest rate of the leading banks......
Old 06-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Still waiting..........

E filed in Feb.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:10 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

The long term results of this will be interesting. Anyone remember the last government shutdown. The story then was that the IRS was overwhelmed by the backlog that happened then and it would take many months if not longer for them to get back to normal.

Low wages for the starting employees and just not enough bodies hired to take care of things in a timely manner. One has to wonder if they are now in such a deep hole that they will soon be rendered toothless. Certainly one of the drivers for people following the tax rules is fear of being caught and punished. If the citizens start to believe they are so understaffed and unorganized that punitive enforcement is very unlikely, I wonder what will follow in it's wake?
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #95

Quote:
They do pay interest. For paper returns, it starts 45 days after the due date. This year's due date is July 15, so interest payments would start in September for returns that were mailed by July 15th and not processed by the end of August.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
They do pay interest. For paper returns, it starts 45 days after the due date. This year's due date is July 15, so interest payments would start in September for returns that were mailed by July 15th and not processed by the end of August.
Thank you. I didnt realize that, but that's only fair as if we were late paying our dues, we would have to pay interest to them.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #97

I e-filed about three weeks ago. The refund check arrived today.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I e-filed about three weeks ago. The refund check arrived today.
I don't get it... It makes absolutely no sense...
Old 06-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #99

Quote:
Just saw this announcement from the IRS, which came out a couple of days ago: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-sta...erest-payments

Quote:
Interest on individual 2019 refunds reflected on returns filed by July 15, 2020 will generally be paid from April 15, 2020 until the date of the refund. Interest payments may be received separately from the refund. By law, the interest rate on both overpayment and underpayment of tax is adjusted quarterly. The interest rate for the second quarter, ending on June 30, 2020, is 5% per year, compounded daily. The interest rate for the third quarter, ending September 30, 2020, is 3% per year, compounded daily.
So, I was wrong about interest not accruing until September. It sounds like even if you don't file until July 15, your refund will now accrue interest retroactively to April 15.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:44 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just saw this announcement from the IRS, which came out a couple of days ago: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-sta...erest-payments

So, I was wrong about interest not accruing until September. It sounds like even if you don't file until July 15, your refund will now accrue interest retroactively to April 15.
Wow, thank you for posting this. At least, it makes sense that they pay for interest, as they force us to pay interest when/if we are late. They will be paying a lot of interest this year...