Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #41
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
Paper checks being mailed is the way Vanguard rolls with IRA transfers. They said I could set it up for electronic transfer, but mailing would be much faster the way they are set up. Am on day #8 waiting for funds sent from Vanguard... Was told 7-10 days is about as fast as they could do it. I offered to pay extra for overnight, but no. Not an option. Tracking also not an option......... The more I think about it, the less I like it.........

"The people that helped me were professional and courteous at the time."
Agree, they are always super nice and knowledgeable on the phone. Its just everything else.
Last year DW transferred her IRA and Roth from Fidelity to Vanguard and it was done totally online in the Vanguard online account, extremely painless.

Obviously they are not so keen on moving money out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Alan, am thinking you went the wrong direction. LOL

Have moved $500k out of VG over the past 12 months.
Am thinking its time to complete the transaction. Ha Ha!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:

I've never had any problems with either Vanguard or Fidelity but in moving back to the U.K. Vanguard are easier to deal with for overseas residents from my research on expat sites. Their ETFs also report into the UK tax authority so their equity dividends get the appropriate UK tax treatment. (Currently first £5k is free of tax then taxed @ 7.5%, as opposed to non qualified dividends being treated as regular income, for us taxed at 20%) The cap gains on the sale of shares of VG ETFs is also treated like the sales of individual securities so the first £11.5k is free of tax then, for our situation taxed at 10%.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #44

Sounds good. Nothing is one size fits all.
Comparing Schwab to FIDO right now.
Both will slip me $500 to make the move.
And both seem about equal in fees & features.
Only have about 200k left at VG. So will probably make the move soon.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Left Vanguard for Fidelity 10+ years ago during one of those frequent flyer miles offers for an account transfer. No regrets. Looks like Fidelity is still offering miles for $$ (50k miles for $100k) at least for non-retirement accounts. My understanding is that the 50k miles offer is available once a year. So, in theory, one could transfer assets over slowly and accumulate quite a few miles. Here's the link to the United Airlines miles offer. Delta miles are also available - just change the /United to /Delta to see the offer Delta.

https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/united
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #46

I have an inherited IRA with RMD's and they've sent me a check automatically for the RMD's the last few years with no problems.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Wow--I hope you are taking advantage one on the many inducements they offer for new money. It has been awhile but I got 1500 cash added when I moved my balances from Vanguard to Fido. I do not remember the exact amount but less than you have moved--say around 400K.
Just ask the rep you are working with what incentives are currently available--everything from cash to miles to free trades are usually available.
Try to get anything like that from Vanguard!! LOL
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #48

I agree that Vanguard is not the best trading platform. For more active traders, I hear good things about Schwab.

VG has grown too fast in the last few years and their customer service has not kept up apparently. But I only had to get in touch with CS twice in the 12 years that I have been at Vanguard, so this has had a limited impact on me so far.

That being said, since I simplified my portfolio to a handful of VG index funds, I have had no complaints.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #49

Customer service over the phone is always great with VG. Its everything else I am tired of.
These days it reminds me of an AARP Consumer Cellular service commercial. For folks not familiar doing anything on line. From their ancient web site to the time it takes to do anything. Sent them a Docusign to move money on 3/9/17. They put the check in the mail 3/15/15. And this transfer was from a money market fund...............

Have some VG funds paying a div. soon. After that, I think its time to go.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #50

Even with the recent growing pains, I think Vanguard would be a great choice if you only own Vanguard mutual funds and do very little trading, account changes, and other non-routine transactions.

We prefer ETFs over mutual funds. Our portfolio is about half Vanguard and half iShares and we house everything at Fidelity. We are very satisfied with this arrangement, although I'm sure that Schwab, E-Trade, and others would be a fine choice as well.
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Personally I used to use Vanguard but changed back in 2006. I forget the exact reason but remember that I was totally fed up with their lack of customer service. I swapped to Fidelity and have not looked back.
trixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
If you want vanguard funds, rather than ETFs, keeping an account there is IMO a very easy choice, as you will have difficulties/costs in adding to funds elsewhere--assuming you can. No need to have everything at one place. A bit more work in keeping track of things, but not much. And if you run into password/website issues at one place, you have access to your money through the other.
I can buy/sell non-admiral shares without fees at Schwab without issue unless the fund is closed and I don't own any shares. Really not an issue for me.

I use to have a fair part of my assets at Vanguard. None now. I do use some of their investments... mostly ETFs. But I'm finding Schwab and Fidelity are pushing low cost ETFs and funds as well. I can also talk to a CFP at either place.... not just one from the bullpen, but ones that know my situation. Both Schwab and Fidelity have offices in my town which makes it easy to get to.

So yes, some people do leave Vanguard just like with other brokers. Really it is not surprising. Many brokerages have a following that doesn't easily change... but it is not all the customers. I just like my current set of brokers in this phase of my life. It may change again.. or not.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #53

While I still have accounts at VG I strongly refer FIDO. Customer service is only important when you need it. VG fell flat on their face with a rollover and some estate dealings. Over six months of BS.
Meanwhile, real people at a FIDO office handled equally complex transactions on the spot . Plus they are cheaper.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:06 PM   #54

We only have one account left at Vanguard, a Trad IRA. Everything else is at Fidelity and Schwab. Seriously considering moving that last account, probably to split it between F and S. Vanguard's edge just isn't what it used to be, and three different brokerages are probably one too many.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I have several Vanguard index ETFs custodied at Schwab. Love Schwab's platform and service. Schwab's bank was a bit of a PITA when they started up, but now even that works smoothly.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We only have one account left at Vanguard, a Trad IRA. Everything else is at Fidelity and Schwab. Seriously considering moving that last account, probably to split it between F and S. Vanguard's edge just isn't what it used to be, and three different brokerages are probably one too many.
+1
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not one too many for my taste. Competition is great for many reasons. Have you considered DR when making that statement? There's a good thing in multiple vendors, physical locations.

Perhaps my observations of a long time visiting the same place(s).
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #58

DR?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DR?
Disaster recovery. What happens if companies X systems go batty?

Bug, hacked by who ever, physical datacenter is gone or facilities evacuated, earthquake, flood, fire, hazmat hazard, overworked systems guy who is making meth at night?

You know a disaster.

There's an advantage to some duplicity in systems.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #60

If I wanted duplicity I would have invested with Bernie Madoff.