Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone ever leave Vanguard?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone ever leave Vanguard?

Have had account's with Vanguard for about 20 years now. (Roth IRA's)
Rolled the 401K into an IRA about 4 yrs ago using Vanguard.
Closed my trading accounts with other Co's over the years
Now that I am retired, I am noticing how antiquated their web site is. Non intuitive & everything just seems really slow?...

Was drawn to them by low fees, but am now wondering others have caught up & maybe surpassed?? Ok to invest with them, but transactions seem stodgy for some reason. Maybe that's a good thing? LOL LOL
Just thinking about making a change. Thanks in advance...........
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not an active trader. I make one trade, or less, a year. The Vanguard site works fine for me, but bear in mind that I am not exactly a power user.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #3

Many discussions at bogleheads on this, including one active one.

If you invest in their funds, you can do that elsewhere (maybe via ETFs). Much personal preference disputing over whether that is preferable or not.

If you don't invest primarily in their funds, the consensus seems to be that it is not the place to be.

Schwab, FIDO, TDameritrade are worth looking at. (I am thinking more about taking our vanguard accounts elsewhere, because of their glacial response whenever we make any changes whatsoever, and the dreaded Medallion signature issue. Just added an Ally Account to the banks to which I can make transfers. Took 10 days--versus the immediate response from Bank of America in adding the same Ally account.)

E.T.A.--the 10 days was despite the fact that I confirmed the micro-deposits the very next morning....
Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #4

Not a power user, but a user none the less.
Yep. Started an IRA transfer out on the 9th. Slow as molasses.
Maybe today? Maybe Monday? ($250k floating around somewhere in the mail) Also found when selling one of there funds not long ago the sell cancelation request has to be in 2 hrs. prior to the market close? Things like that just bug me. Will start looking around............
Old 03-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Many discussions at bogleheads on this, including one active one.

If you invest in their funds, you can do that elsewhere (maybe via ETFs). Much personal preference disputing over whether that is preferable or not.

If you don't invest primarily in their funds, the consensus seems to be that it is not the place to be.

Schwab, FIDO, TDameritrade are worth looking at. (I am thinking more about taking our vanguard accounts elsewhere, because of their glacial response whenever we make any changes whatsoever, and the dreaded Medallion signature issue. Just added an Ally Account to the banks to which I can make transfers. Took 10 days--versus the immediate response from Bank of America in adding the same Ally account.)

E.T.A.--the 10 days was despite the fact that I confirmed the micro-deposits the very next morning....

Any value to staying with the existing Vanguard account for Vanguard funds and using another firm for other investments?
MrFlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a large amount of money at Vanguard and left them completely several years ago. They provided no service of value, were slow to do anything, have a poor website, and ridiculous rules. Happy at FIDO.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #7
Administrator

"Anyone ever leave Vanguard?" -

I've checked and am surprised to find that leaving Vanguard is not against the Community Rules.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #8

Alan just nailed it...............
Old 03-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy Vanguard investor here. I find the customer service and website quite responsive and easy to use. YMMV.
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sure people leave Vanguard or any other fund company. I have been with Fidelity for many years and they're great.

I recently moved my remaining 401k to Vanguard from Megacorp's provider. Yes they have issues, as long as you keep the ball in the middle of the fairway things seem ok. Best not to get in the weeds.

Fidelity has a better sight, with more frequent changes. Is that a good or bad thing?

Do check out Fidelity and Schwab both have low fees.

One counter to frequently updates to the sight and new features is who's paying for them. Given Vanguard's corporate structure maybe the existing interface is good enough?
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

I have moved my IRAs because I wanted to roll to a self-directed IRA (which the big discount brokers don't offer). My DW's IRAs are still with Vanguard and for those I see no reason to move. Yes, the website is a bit clunky, but it does what we need.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I like the Vanguard solo-401K , yes there was paperwork involved, but phone help was available to make it easy, and I have both IRA and ROTH versions.
These accounts are extremely low activity, meaning I put the $$ in and leave them there.

For my other Vanguard account, I dislike the non-realtime prices displayed for stocks, it's not a good account for trading.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #13

Customer service at Vanguard is just awful. We made two transfers last year and they messed up multiple times. We made a request for solo 401k and they messed up again. Many times over. But once the money is there and you don't need them then it's ok. I do lots of trading on all my accounts so I know. I mean the trades went through ok, maybe a little slow.
My other account is with Scottrade. I was tempted to open an account at Fidelity, but I left them a few years ago and swore at the time to never come back there. I forgot the reason. I think they must make it hard to transfer and charge all kinds of fees. This was a while back. Perhaps 10 years ago.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #14

All good advice. If I do make a change I will plan for the lethargic 2 week transfer out.
If I want slow, I will just log onto a bank website and watch a CD. lol lol
The feeling I get with VG these days................
Was fine while working. Just auto dep. money in and forget about it.
But now? Not so much.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

On another note, sites that keep changing and updating can also be tedious for some.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
On another note, sites that keep changing and updating can also be tedious for some.
+1
Since the last Fidelity update I can't find anything. Nice website, but it is frustrating to navigate through like I've never been here before.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'm afraid the answer for me is that investing is not really an action game. It's all about having a plan and sticking to it.

VG seems to work for that. My plan involves some trading of index funds, but it works best with a minimum amount of trades.

I'd be interested to know if there is more information available at Fido. I have an old Schwab account and have not noticed things there that provide investment insights. But I'll go back now and check out the Schwab site for articles.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been with Vanguard for over 30 years and have never had a problem. I use their Website almost daily and it certainly meets my needs. I'm very happy with the low costs and good investment performance.
Gill
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlish View Post
Any value to staying with the existing Vanguard account for Vanguard funds and using another firm for other investments?
If you want vanguard funds, rather than ETFs, keeping an account there is IMO a very easy choice, as you will have difficulties/costs in adding to funds elsewhere--assuming you can. No need to have everything at one place. A bit more work in keeping track of things, but not much. And if you run into password/website issues at one place, you have access to your money through the other.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
"Anyone ever leave Vanguard?" -

I've checked and am surprised to find that leaving Vanguard is not against the Community Rules.
That would be the rule over at Bogelheads.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote