Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just some Roth conversion tax monies.
Nothing we really need which is expensive at this time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You just missed a huge Labor Day sale. I bought one for 30% off.
You bought a Haiku L. I want Haiku.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My travel budget is small to start with (~6K plus some), but I am planning to get my basement shower replaced and add one of those vertical shower systems, but I think I'll pull the money from my entertainment budget (as if home renovation is somewhat entertaining!)

But who knows when that will happen, as my bath guy says that he's been so busy since the start of the pandemic. His take is that people are staying home more now, and are getting tired of looking at worn-out bathrooms.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'm having a small burn so far. With spending at about 60% of normal and just starting ss, I have some catching up to do. I bought an e-bike and camera lens within the last couple of months, but I can't think of anything else to buy now. I did put a reservation in on a 2021 Ford Bronco, but it probably won't be here until 2022. Paying for the Bronco will take care of any excess $ that I may accumulate.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #25

We did our snow bird vacation to FL in February, and have since bought a new car for DW. So, Our spend this year will likely be 50% more than past years (but still less than 3.7% of current investments). Maybe I will buy a new car too, and send spending way over the cliff.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #26

Definitely have some extra cash to deploy this year, mostly due to the huge drop in travel expenses and dining out. Like many others, I've earmarked a large portion of that money to home improvements/renovations/enhancements and charitable donations. Planning on spending about $12k over the next 12 months to replace a bunch of major appliances and fixtures that are due (or overdue) for the scrap heap, and to fund some other lifestyle upgrades, like getting a bigger, nicer tool shed. I'm also finding myself consciously spending a little more freely on smaller purchases.

It feels good to be spending money in these ways and to know that I'm loosening the purse strings in a tangible manner after so many years of careful frugality. IMHO, it's one of the few silver linings to be found in this pandemic.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are busy spending. I replaced my pickup with a Model Y performance and added accessories was more than I'd ever considered spending on a vehicle. I am pleased with the purchase. DW provided she was up to the challenge of spending on landscaping.

Our normal spending is way down, but we did manage to blow way past our norm. Next year will be closer to 3%.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Anyone have money burning a hole in their pockets?
Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone have money burning a hole in their pockets?

Yes! I bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop computer which I am using right now, and for me it is so much fun to have a new computer.

But that is not enough! So far I am on track to spend 1.1% of my portfolio this year since SS and mini-pension have been covering most of it. I give myself permission to spend 3.5% of my portfolio, so I need to kick up the spending if I can find anything to purchase that is of value to me.

I went to Amazon today and ordered a new 64 oz water bottle. I downloaded and paid for the Solsuite solitaire software. Still browsing and looking for something fun to buy.

I am planning to call the plumber sometime before the end of the year, in order to put in some new faucets and check my hot water heater to see if I should replace it. That should take care of some of the excess. Already paid for a roofer to fix a few leaks, and paid for my annual termite inspection. So that should take care of home maintenance for this year.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Our spending is slightly under budget this year. We've done several home improvements and I finally bought a new garage door. I can't believe I kept that POS working as long as it did.

Both my kids (19 & 24) are unemployed. I helped my son get a decent mattress (he really needed it) and my daughter get 4 new tires for her car.

DW will be retiring in January so any excess funds will be saved for future travel as our yearly travel budget isn't that large.
11522914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Shok - I know the feeling....

Based on my experience, the following will usually address any money burning a hole in my pocket.

just sayin....

gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Current thinking is a new Canon EOS R5 Camera and a couple of good "L" series Lenses.
Get the camera and lenses! Should be a bit smaller and definitely have better video performance than the other mirrorless DSLRs.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Thanks for the reminder OldShooter. I have made a donation to the Red Cross for the wild fire victims. I have also made some contributions to the local food banks. There are many people out there hurting because of the pandemic, wild fires, unemployment, hurricanes, etc. If you have extra money consider helping others in need.

I am also helping some local small businesses who are about to go out of business by buying take out and contributing to Go Fund Me for them.

+1000
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #33

New vehicle last fall and a landscape job costing over twice that this summer. I'm good for a bit I think. Saved a bundle on travel since March so that's good - sort of.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #34

Embarrassingly, we have more than we can conceivably spend. DW is making monthly donations to a local food bank, and I am donating and working with a local hospice as well as a homeless shelter.
Pay it forward
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #35

I can just imagine how the typical Millennial would react to this thread...
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I can just imagine how the typical Millennial would react to this thread...
OK, Boomer
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Embarrassingly, we have more than we can conceivably spend. DW is making monthly donations to a local food bank, and I am donating and working with a local hospice as well as a homeless shelter.
Pay it forward
I totally agree. Most of us on this Forum are so lucky--my extra money this year is going to help others.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:50 PM   #38

I just sent a lot of extra money to the IRS
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We have not purchased much since Covid started.

Current thinking is a new Canon EOS R5 Camera and a couple of good "L" series Lenses.
Great choice on camera. It is out of stock everywhere, so it may be around Christmas before you can get one. I'm thinking of that exact camera myself!
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Great choice on camera. It is out of stock everywhere, so it may be around Christmas before you can get one. I'm thinking of that exact camera myself!
Yes, I am hoping later ones will be updated, maybe a Rev 2. Not holding my breath though.