Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2020, 07:36 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Yes, I am hoping later ones will be updated, maybe a Rev 2. Not holding my breath though.
It is easy to update the firmware on camera's these days. They have had at least 2 updates so far. Kind of normal on a new camera.
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 07:39 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
It is easy to update the firmware on camera's these days. They have had at least 2 updates so far. Kind of normal on a new camera.
Yes I know but maybe they will tweak the hardware in later production runs. Hope springs eternal.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:44 PM   #43

We're fortunate to be living a pretty much normal life--other than little/no social life. We moved 11 months ago and sold our too big home in March. All I seem to do is move stuff and go to the dump.

We installed a fiberglass pool and sodded the back yard. That was in lieu of our yearly trips to Europe--that were cancelled. We did go to the Smokies 2x, and have a house there on top of the mountain rented for Thanksgiving. Otherwise, we're going nowhere and just planting bushes and cleaning the garage.

Our Sunday School did meet the first time in person yesterday--very socially distanced. The church is down 50% at the Sunday service, and they're looking for 30%-40% of members to never return to church.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #44

We've been trying to double up on the charities we support. Some charities are becoming desperate since donations are off due to Covid19. At our ages, we no longer want "things." Full disclosure, if I weren't married, I would consider buying a 2020 Corvette! Don't tell DW. She hasn't forgotten the Corvette I bought 50 years ago.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Charitable contribution.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:18 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
....Full disclosure, if I weren't married, I would consider buying a 2020 Corvette! Don't tell DW. ....
+1 I have wanted a "fun" car for the longest time, but DW is vehemently against it as a "waste"... IMO as much of a waste as the long-arm sewing machine that she would like.

With our lower spending perhaps we can both get what we want (well, maybe not a 2020 for me).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:09 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I totally agree. Most of us on this Forum are so lucky--my extra money this year is going to help others.
Same here. My charitable donations are up and I try to spread them around between "people in need" charities and those such as Zoos or the ballet where they have ongoing expenses but decreased, or no entry fees. In June my car died and I replaced it- figured this was a good year to do it since I'm not traveling. I also bought a new Crossroads bicycle to replace my 19-year old Diamondback.

I've got all the clothes, furniture, etc. I need- don't want to go shopping for more. One major trip I have planned for next year (Eastern Europe in July, God willing) is funded by a large credit from a trip cancelled this year. Any money I withdraw this year but don't spend or add to my grandchildren's 529s is being held aside for painting the house exterior and rebuilding the deck next year.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #48

OP Here, again. I was originally thinking after things like Charitable Donations and helping out family that folks do. Yes I can understand how they are up for some folks, that is commendable. We do not classify that as "Pocket" burning money though.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #49

I have at least doubled my charitable contributions already this year so I have burned through my pocket money and then some.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #50
gone traveling

My wife does.
Apple watch purchase coming in 3..2..1

Update: purchased
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Money doesn’t burn a hole in my pocket. However, we have been gifting regularly, and at the beginning of this year we gave a “one-time” considerable cash gift to siblings. Just in time for Covid too, because a couple are pretty much out of work due to it.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

We have doubled up on our cash donations to the local food bank and some other local charities that are being stretched. Besides getting take out on a regular bases from all our favorite restaurants we bought $100 gift certificates from 4 that we hung on the frig to use if/when things get back to normal for them and they are back making money again. If some go under it was a donation to help them out.

Did splurge on a new MacBook pro, and an upgrade of our sound system since we have been streaming a lot of music concerts. Also trying to hit the tip jars for the starving musicians putting on the concerts. Bought a few other toys but even turning off RMDs the money has been piling up. I will be doing a ROTH conversion and giving Uncle Sam a donation to get my taxes up to at least last years level or a little more.
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

No, but we have spent a lot more money eating out since we retired this year being there are limited things to do with this darn virus.

We had a little more money leftover after selling our family home and downsizing, so we bought a whole house generator, even though they say the power rarely goes out here.

In our other home we lost power regularly and for long periods of time and I didn't want to worry about it here, especially in the winter.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Money doesn’t burn a hole in my pocket. However, we have been gifting regularly, and at the beginning of this year we gave a “one-time” considerable cash gift to siblings. Just in time for Covid too, because a couple are pretty much out of work due to it.
What a nice thing to do for your siblings.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a fair amount of discretionary income and since we've not been able to travel, we just direct the $$$ elsewhere. I'd say the amount we spend on e-books has tripled, at least, LOL!

The charitable donations suggestions are good ones. We've been able to give much more generously and there are so many people in need right now. Food banks, for example, can do MUCH MORE with dollar donations than if you drop off a few bags of food, because they are able to buy at wholesale prices so $1 given to a food bank can be multiplied by 5x or 6x when they are buying - plus, they can purchase what's really needed/available.

The Red Cross and the Salvation Army are two of the best-regarded emergency organizations.

The United Way has established regional funds to help those affected by disasters.

Please don't forget the Humane Society and other pet rescue organizations. When evacuees lose their homes or are just barred from returning for a few weeks, their pets aren't always allowed in some shelters, and need fostering.

HTH.
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #56

Ok I have a list:

Am taking my (still working younger) sister to a 5* resort for a visit to her in-college freshman daughter, my niece, next weekend. It's a 3 hour drive, we will enjoy the pool, fancy hotel and outdoor dinner, etc., and niece will join us for the afternoon. Sis doesn't know it's my treat, thinks we're splitting, so that will be fun.

Bought a new sofa, double what I was hoping to, but it's a good one for DH's back.

Getting a pool. Taking no prisoners on the upgrades. I'd resisted for years, but the beach closures pushed me.

I also am generous with local pet shelters. My mom writes a check to St Judes every time she has a good mammogram, I might start something like that.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

I am getting to the point where we have too much spare cash that normally gets spent on general stuff we do normally and holidays.

Bottom line it is mounting up, we do not need it for day to day expenses and I feel the need to splurge ..... on something.

Anyone else feel the same?
Been looking for a cool looking vintage aluminum 4-person runabout boat all summer.
They've all either sold before we got a chance to see them or in one case the owner changed his mind and decided not to sell it at the last minute.
It's getting too late in the season for us to be able to use a boat since we had to scrape frost off the windows this morning so I guess we'll wait until spring (April or May) when the weather warms back up.
ArmchairMillionaire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
What a nice thing to do for your siblings.
Well, they are our heirs and we want to gift as we can during our lifetimes. And with the markets so high Jan seemed like a good time. Who knew it was going to end up being a disaster pandemic year when any financial cushion is much appreciated!
Old 09-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We have not purchased much since Covid started. Only a couple of "Blow that Dough" Moments when we replaced our whole AV system with an OLED TV, New Top of the Line HDD Equipped Media Player, and a High end AVR.

I am getting to the point where we have too much spare cash that normally gets spent on general stuff we do normally and holidays.

Bottom line it is mounting up, we do not need it for day to day expenses and I feel the need to splurge ..... on something.

Current thinking is a new Canon EOS R5 Camera and a couple of good "L" series Lenses. Also a new Motor Scooter for pottering around our Island could be in the cards. These would still be less than what we spend on a good Holiday. I would not normally splurge this much on such discretionary items, but as the title says, it is burning a hole.

Anyone else feel the same?
Yes, but I’ve taken to gifting to other family members.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Yes, but I’ve taken to gifting to other family members.
I am grateful that I have family members to gift as well. Some anyways. There are some that maybe wish they had treated us better when things weren't so flush. But all in all, it is good to have family to spoil and share in the rewards we earned.
However, I'm not sacrificing my own desires either. New (to me) snow skis, splurging on higher quality produce and meats at the market, running my HVAC at the temperature I want it, a hot tub that is hot year round and soon an even bigger screen TV than the 70" I already have. (waiting for Black Friday sales). Generally a higher quality of life without actually acquiring more 'stuff'.

Friends and family really appreciate the hand-me-downs as well. I upgraded my power washer recently and my son loves getting my old one. I also love not having to cart the old one over there.
skipro33 is online now   Reply With Quote