Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Move on
Old 02-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Move on

I also went the Corporate Jungle and was " Downsized" .
Believe me I understand how disheartening and Frustrating that can be.
I have some advice for you.
Forget Corporate Life.
I did and it was the best move I ever Made.
I decided to Re-invent myself and after 31 years of Corporate life I started
my own Business by opening a Retail Store in resort community designing and Selling Resort ware with NO prior experience in Retail.
I took out my 401k from my Company in a Lump Sum and invested in myself.
After 10 years I Sold my Business for a 42% ROI which was obviously a lot
better that the ROI I was making with the Matching Fund with my Company.
I then took my proceeds and invested it with Ameriprise and am currently enjoying a handsome return on my Investment.
After Selling my Business I re-invented myself again and became a Realtor
which I currently am engaged in and love every minute.
I haven't had an actual " Paycheck " in over 21 years but I am better off Financially now than during my Corporate days and a whole lot HAPPIER!!
The point to all this is you need to move on.
It's just a matter of time before your new MegaCorp does it to you again.
Get out and put your Talents to work for YOU!
Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime444 View Post
thanks for all your responses and corresponding lack of sympathy. Lol. I'm looking forward to seeing what AH has to offer in terms of fund management, customer service, fees, etc. My comparison will be Fidelity and Vanguard, both of which I have personal IRA's/401k's with. I'll report on how they compete and try to be as "fair" as I can be. At least, as "fair" as I have been treated, so far. I also agree that they are just the messenger, the real evil is the new organization, which I'm correspondingly very discouraged with.

In my career which now spans 30+ years, I've been part of an organization(s) that have been merged, acquired, bought out, sold, takenover, etc. 4 times. Yes, 4. Accordingly, I consider myself to be 0-4, now. That is, zero wins, 4 losses. As someone said earlier, cynicism, sarcasm and poor morale are just the beginning. However, I personally do have sympathy with anyone that gets to deal with this during their working life. If you do, you deserve early retirement.

As for the "go to hell" cash, I call it up-anchor money, Navy background, by the way. Yes, I'm funded approximately 12 months at our current spending rates without touching any longer term savings, bonds, pensions, investments, etc. However, at this point in my life (my 50's), even with my skills in this economy, it would take significant effort to "start over". Especially, since I'm so close to the end, say three years. So, I may just have to swallow my pride, take the financial beating, buckle down and do the time. How come this sounds a lot like prison? Cheers.
Moveon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
I then took my proceeds and invested it with Ameriprise and am currently enjoying a handsome return on my Investment.
Very inspiring. Thank you.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote