Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
It is amazing. An amalgam of theology, pop ecology, sentence fragments, and random equations. Many of the paragraphs are indecipherable, and other paragraphs are true, but irrelevant. He also could have used an editor to get the grammar right, but that's a small point.

Still, I have no doubt this stuff convinced many investors.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I once had the opportunity to meet one of these "free energy" shysters. A friend who was thinking of investing in

Welcome to Magnetic Power Inc. - Home of breakthrough energy technology and Genie © 2006-08

brought me in to meet the founder of the company and see what I would think of it, as I'm an "Engineer"

It was absolutely fascinating to see how convincing this guy was. He was down to earth in a sort of folksy way, not the slick-haired used car salesman that I would have imagined. His office is in Sebastopol, CA, a little rural hippie suburb at the fringes of the Bay Area. He very much has the "lets save the world together" message that I'm sure plays well with the other hippie folks in town. He had a big office filled with binders of data, a few desks, and an administrative assistant who dropped in on our meeting to express how she was just an ordinary person who got so excited by this that she had to be a part of it.

He was a very smart guy, who did seem to have a decent grasp of physics and a great grasp of business, along with a very friendly soft sell.

I wondered if this guy believed his own BS. He was so unlike the stereotypical salesperson that I just couldn't imagine him lying. One thing that seemed to make him sound reasonable was his getting impatient with everyone not believing him, and deciding that he was going to build toy versions of his "free energy" device, making them cheaply and widely available so everyone could see this was for real. Most of the free energy shysters are so secrecy-oriented that they would never suggest such a thing.

Of course the conversation took the expected tack: I asked him how does it work, he gave an evasive but genuine sounding answer, I tried to narrow down the specifics, but without having any idea what he was talking about it went nowhere, and I still have really no idea how his thing is even supposed to work. He promised to email me a white paper after the meeting, which basically ended the discussion. He did email me the white paper but it was so impenetrable and convoluted I didn't even bother reading it.

I see from his website that years later he's still trying to produce those demonstration devices :-) homestead if you want a place to invest your nest egg I'm sure I could hook you up for a very modest finder's fee.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #103

Homestead, I am sorry that you invested with this shyster. I understand how badly that can feel when you realize that you have been lied to and lost your money.
Hopefully it wasn't too much and you will be more careful with people that tell you they can break the laws of physics.
(That is why you are holding on to this con job so tightly, right??)
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
I once had the opportunity to meet one of these "free energy" shysters. A friend who was thinking of investing in

Welcome to Magnetic Power Inc. - Home of breakthrough energy technology and Genie © 2006-08

It was absolutely fascinating to see how convincing this guy was. .... He very much has the "lets save the world together" message that I'm sure plays well...
? Al Gore is now with Magnetic Power? I was wondering what he was up to lately

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
EDIT: Oh wow, I opened the pdf just for fun, and the crux of his argument is that he is the hand of God here to change the rules of physics with his holy power. Gotcha - have fun with that.
I tried last night to find some info about this, even though the wiki article was pretty cut and dried.

After a half hour of reading content that generally tried hard to squeeze in Jesus, patriotism, allegations that "The Arabs" tried to pay him a billion dollars for his idea but he wouldnt take it, allegations that he was killed by the Big Oil Companies or The Government or The Arabs (he died of a brain aneurysm), that The Government stole all his prototypes, and generally cultish materials, I gave up.

Everything seemed to start with cult stuff and ended trying to sell me a $500 hydrogen tube to attach to my carburetor.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

Everything seemed to start with cult stuff and ended trying to sell me a $500 hydrogen tube to attach to my carburetor.
Yep. And here are two more pieces of the puzzle:

Puzzle piece #1) That pdf ( http://www.aero2012.com/en/documents..._Full_Data.pdf ) on page 7, says that 'Biblical prophesy foretells this event', referring to using water as a fuel to 'power our cars, heat our homes, fly our planes or propel spaceships beyond our galaxy'.

Puzzle piece #2) from the thread "The five greatest moments of your life..."

Quote:
2. Being born again.
So, we need no evidence that this device works, we simply need to believe that it works!

-ERD50
Old 05-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Well, I dont think that criticizing someones faith is appropriate.

But science is science.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I dont think that criticizing someones faith is appropriate.

But science is science.
Not meant as a criticism, just an observation.

I think there is a connection between the religious zeal in that pdf, and the willingness of some to accept the faith in a belief over the scientific understanding surrounding a belief.

-ERD50
Old 05-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

A lot of things Hitler said were intended to be simple observations.

DOH!
Old 05-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

OK - on a more positive note....

Here is a high mileage idea that seems to make very good sense. It does not violate any laws of physics, as far as I can see, and it seems like it could be implemented. I wonder if/when we might see this technique used:

Six stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first one of these I heard of ( the Crower version) was the one where they inject a small amount of water after the normal combustion/exhaust strokes. The water turns to steam from the heat, the expanding steam powers the piston down (the fifth stroke), and then another exhaust (the sixth) stroke occurs.

So, you get more power, and since you absorb the heat, it reduces/eliminates the need for a cooling system. OK, not sure how much water you need to carry with you, what problems you would have with minerals, freezing, etc, and steam being pushed past the rings into the oil, but....

The other one (Velozeta), relies only on hot air. It supposedly does not require any new technology, it sounds like it would just be a different set of valve timings. I guess you still need a cooling system, but maybe smaller?

I think there is a small amount of hype in saying you get 'an extra power stroke!'. What you get is, instead of one power stroke in four cycles, is two power strokes in six cycles. So, for the same power out, that extra stroke would need to be at least half as powerful as the main power stroke. I wouldn't think there would be that much residual energy left, but maybe they factor in a smaller cooling system?

Anyhow, it seems to make a lot of sense. Be interesting to see if this gets adopted.

-ERD50
Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Homestead, I am sorry that you invested with this shyster. I understand how badly that can feel when you realize that you have been lied to and lost your money.
Hopefully it wasn't too much and you will be more careful with people that tell you they can break the laws of physics.
(That is why you are holding on to this con job so tightly, right??)
Thanks ,but I haven't invested a dime in it yet. I am just researching it now.
There are 2 forums on this subject, hydroxy in yahoo and water fuel cell forum.
Here is an account of someone who said they replicated the experiment.
The Water Fuel Cell :: View topic - One person that has replicated Stan's design!!
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is an account of someone who said they replicated the experiment.
I dearly wish I could let this go but...

"I have found a letter from a man named Ted Zettergren,who someone has mentioned as being the first person to succesfully replicate Stan's work.From everything I have read and learned,it all adds up to me."

and

"I believe Ted Zettergren was laid to rest in 2003 but there were more than him that have duplicated the technology.
I read a post from Tad Johnson who made personal contact with Stan through an un-named intermediary. Tad claims to have duplicated the tech as well and even told the reader how to do it to. Tad mentions Ted and another person that has duplicated the tech."

So....I'm afraid these are still not exactly ringing endorsements. If this is the best proof source that was available after 24 hours of research, I'd give this up.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yep. And here are two more pieces of the puzzle:

Puzzle piece #1) That pdf ( http://www.aero2012.com/en/documents..._Full_Data.pdf ) on page 7, says that 'Biblical prophesy foretells this event', referring to using water as a fuel to 'power our cars, heat our homes, fly our planes or propel spaceships beyond our galaxy'.

Puzzle piece #2) from the thread "The five greatest moments of your life..."

So, we need no evidence that this device works, we simply need to believe that it works!

-ERD50
i am in good company with Isaac Newton
but I think he was smarter than me.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Mr. Newton had the benefit of believing in things that fit within the laws of science and physics.

There are no perpetual motion machines, nor are there setups that produce more energy than their potential.

And so far, absolutely nothing in this space that has been produced and reproduced independently or by anyone at all except people who may have written letters before their demise 4 years ago who "really seem to fit what I know"...
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Now wait a minute CFB, we're getting somewhere. Do I have this right?

We have evidence that somebody on the internet, claims to have a letter from somebody (now deceased, RIP) that someone else says has duplicated Stan's work.

I mean, if that weren't enough, 'Tad' has duplicated it too! He said so! Umm, well, at least someone read a post from someone claiming to be 'Tad'. Heck, this is so easy that even 'another person' can duplicate it!

What more do we need!!!! 'Four Pillars', index funds and diversification be damned - WHERE DO I SEND MY MONEY!!!!

What more do we need!!!! Well, what else - a youtube link! And angels!!!

-ERD50
Old 05-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are no perpetual motion machines, nor are there setups that produce more energy than their potential.

Let's just say.... that there is no KNOWN way to have a perpetual motion machine....

If we took almost anything that we have in electronics today back a couple of hundred years they would have said something similar...

Take a 8GB USB drive... or even the TV... 200 years ago someone would have said... it is not possible!!! Why would anybody think that they could send a view of something from one place to another through thin air.... it is impossible...

NOW, are the guys who are doing these things now able to do it NOT... but I would never say never....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Not really a whole argument. A water powered perpetual motion machine requires changes to the established laws of nature. The development of the television or computer memory device doesn't.

The energy required to separate water into hydrogen and water is well established. The energy produced from the results is less than that.

This means you have to add more energy to the process than it produces.

If water had instability issues like some of the more interesting nuclear bomb component elements, then it might be possible to disrupt it with a low energy cost item and get more energy out of the process than you put in.

This alleged process supposedly uses a "resonance frequency" to disrupt the bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen. There is no scientific basis for that principal, it has never been demonstrated to work, and nobody has ever reproduced the alleged experiment.

What actual scientists have determined is that this process used simple electrolysis to separate the hydrogen and oxygen. That means his "water car" had a big huge battery in it somewhere that had to be charged up before "demonstrations".
Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #118
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Not really a whole argument. A water powered perpetual motion machine requires changes to the established laws of nature. The development of the television or computer memory device doesn't.

The energy required to separate water into hydrogen and water is well established. The energy produced from the results is less than that.

This means you have to add more energy to the process than it produces.

If water had instability issues like some of the more interesting nuclear bomb component elements, then it might be possible to disrupt it with a low energy cost item and get more energy out of the process than you put in.

This alleged process supposedly uses a "resonance frequency" to disrupt the bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen. There is no scientific basis for that principal, it has never been demonstrated to work, and nobody has ever reproduced the alleged experiment.

What actual scientists have determined is that this process used simple electrolysis to separate the hydrogen and oxygen. That means his "water car" had a big huge battery in it somewhere that had to be charged up before "demonstrations".
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
It is amazing. An amalgam of theology, pop ecology, sentence fragments, and random equations. Many of the paragraphs are indecipherable, and other paragraphs are true, but irrelevant. He also could have used an editor to get the grammar right, but that's a small point.

Still, I have no doubt this stuff convinced many investors.
I kept looking for the links to Time Cube
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I kept looking for the links to Time Cube
That's some site! If we institutionalized all the people who need it, we'd have a lot fewer "interesting" web sites.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote