Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanu View Post
>> This is my retirement house until I die unless I decide to leave for other reasons (which I might!). Nothing is cast in stone.

Depends on your age. Do remember when you get older 70% of the population need some kind of Long Term Care. - at home, assisted living, nursing home, Dementia ward etc. Most of the LTCi would not pay more than $!25K between a couple for 3 years. Insurance is expensive and gets expensive every year.
You may have to start thinking about the CCRC option!
Personally I will not move into a nursing home because you end up in a small private room, eating food that they cook for you and COVID-19 has made nursing home a death trap.

Better option: Hire a live-in maid or care giver. Have the maid or care-giver live in a separate bedroom or a separate granny house on your property, rent-free. This allow you to pay them a lower salary and you will likely get better care. Assume you pay them $5 an hour plus their rent is free. This will translate to $200 a week while a nursing home can cost you much more. You get the food you want (naturally the maid or care giver will cook for you) and plus the maid or care giver will cater to your needs. Pay for their training in CPR and as a nursing aid. In an emergency, they can drive you to the hospital.

An even better option: Marry someone who is 20 years younger. I have.... so I have to be really nice to my young wife. I also instructed my young wife to live with a close friend or our children after I kick the bucket. This is because I do not want to have my young wife to grow old alone.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=vchan2177;2520305]

Better option: Hire a live-in maid or care giver. Have the maid or care-giver live in a separate bedroom or a separate granny house on your property, rent-free. This allow you to pay them a lower salary and you will likely get better care. Assume you pay them $5 an hour plus their rent is free. This will translate to $200 a week while a nursing home can cost you much more. You get the food you want (naturally the maid or care giver will cook for you) and plus the maid or care giver will cater to your needs. Pay for their training in CPR and as a nursing aid. In an emergency, they can drive you to the hospital.

Good luck with that!
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
Retirement should involve a three legged stool: (1) SS (2) IRA or pension (3) cash or house equity. You cannot use SS, IRA or a pension to buy a house ....
Not true, SS/pension counts as income and asset depletion mortgage* uses your IRA as income.

Itís a non conforming loan so rates are not as attractive.
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:38 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold our home, took some cash and bought our old house we rented, and the abandoned house next door.... currently remodeling as we can...
love having no mortgage.
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Anyone purchase houses with cash?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #85

A reason to consider a mortgage as a first time buyer (absent discussion of competitiveness of offer) is that by having a mortgage lender there is effectively someone looking over your shoulder and will ensure mistakes in the process arenít made (hopefully anyways). And, of course, you can always pay down loan as soon as you like.

An example. A lender will require an appraisal of the property; something you might not have thought to pay for on your own.

All my cash deals I have made contingent on property appraising. However, just sold our own house in an all cash deal and the buyers did not do an appraisal (whether intentional or not I havenít a clue).
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:46 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm thinking about paying cash, and then looking for a low rate fixed mortgage. I can get a LOC at ~ 3% (variable of course), from my broker.

My thought is it simplifies the closing, then I can take my time to shop for the best long term fixed rate. That seems better to me than trying to do it all at once. The RE agent we talked to said not needing the appraisal would help us.

Any negatives?

eta: we will have an inspection done

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:02 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm thinking about paying cash, and then looking for a low rate fixed mortgage. I can get a LOC at ~ 3% (variable of course), from my broker.

My thought is it simplifies the closing, then I can take my time to shop for the best long term fixed rate. That seems better to me than trying to do it all at once. The RE agent we talked to said not needing the appraisal would help us.

Any negatives?

-ERD50

Seems Appraisal only has two downfalls for seller: (1) time to complete, (2) selling price > valuation. Which one is your realtor worried about?
WhenIsItTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhenIsItTime View Post
Seems Appraisal only has two downfalls for seller: (1) time to complete, (2) selling price > valuation. Which one is your realtor worried about?
Either could be a problem. Takes time to get an appraisal (housing market is crazy hot here right now - nice homes are getting multiple offers by the next day). I bet the appraisal services are back-logged.

And if the buyer needs a mortgage, that can get hosed up if the appraisal comes in lower than what the mortgage company requires.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #89
Dryer sheet aficionado

We’ve purchased 2 houses with cash. Our all cash offers beat higher offers and resulted in 30 days or less closing. Always have an inspection done. The peace of mind that comes with true ownership is priceless.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Any negatives?

-ERD50

Yeah, you overpay relative to the appraisal and it complicates at best getting a mortgage (more money to the table for you), or worse, makes a mortgage more difficult to obtain.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:00 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought our current house with cash. This made me think about what the real estate agent asked us when we met to see some properties. She asked, "Have you been pre-approved and if so, for how much?" I said, "No we haven't" and I did not say anything else for a few seconds because I wanted to see what her reaction was. She seemed a litte disappointed and was getting ready to say something (probably about the need to be pre-approved before seeing properties), and I said, "It will be a cash sale." Her face then lit up and she said, "Great, let's go look at houses."

With cash the two big hassles we avoided were the property appraisal and loan approval process. We were also able to move and then sell our old house after we moved out.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
We bought our current house with cash. This made me think about what the real estate agent asked us when we met to see some properties. She asked, "Have you been pre-approved and if so, for how much?" I said, "No we haven't" and I did not say anything else for a few seconds because I wanted to see what her reaction was. She seemed a litte disappointed and was getting ready to say something (probably about the need to be pre-approved before seeing properties), and I said, "It will be a cash sale." Her face then lit up and she said, "Great, let's go look at houses."

With cash the two big hassles we avoided were the property appraisal and loan approval process. We were also able to move and then sell our old house after we moved out.
I am planning to remove the buyer agent from my future house purchase process but it is good to know they think cash is king as well (they can close deal faster).
teetee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:24 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

Iíve bought several homes, including my primary residence for cash. Today, though, Iíd likely get a loan. With interest rates around 3% and the money supply increasing faster than that, is think thereís a reasonable chance that appreciation essentially pays the mortgage.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:53 PM   #94
Dryer sheet aficionado

Iíve purchased four properties for cash. I had the advantage of knowing the histories of the properties going back to before I was born so I think that helped some. One of the properties we had a real estate agent involved who got money for basically directing us to the title company. For the other three we just had the title company do the required checking and paperwork.
Alderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
Personally I will not move into a nursing home because you end up in a small private room, eating food that they cook for you and COVID-19 has made nursing home a death trap.

In Bangladesh I could see that working, or parts of India..

Not in USA/Canada, you would be lucky to get the person for $20/hr, with free room & board, and they will only work 40hrs per week.
With 2 weeks holidays/yr.
So you are on your own nights and weekends.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

In Bangladesh I could see that working, or parts of India..

Not in USA/Canada, you would be lucky to get the person for $20/hr, with free room & board, and they will only work 40hrs per week.
With 2 weeks holidays/yr.
So you are on your own nights and weekends.

Yes, funny thing about nursing home care, you never know what time of day youíll need their help!
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote