Anyone upgrade to Quicken 2017?

I got a popup message again today from the Quicken screen promoting the 2017 update. Quicken Premier costs $65.99 after a 40% sale off $109.99.

I went to Costco, and they have a $20 sale, and the final price is $54.99 from $74.99. Huh?

So, I bought from Costco. My 2014 version will stop online stock price and transaction update in April, so might as well buy it now.

Last edited:
I upgraded to 2017 (from 2015) a few weeks ago and I haven't had any crashes or issues. It took a week or so to get use to the new format but now I like it. I don't remember being able to hide bars as easily as you can now such as the account bar so some of the changes make it more similar to other user interfaces.

I figure I have 20+ years of data so if it does run a little slow at times, not sure its an issue with the software or just processing that much. One of the plus/minus is they do keep adding new categories so I went through a long process and re-did all my categories (all the way back to 1997) which wasn't as painful as I thought it would be as it allowed you to re-do all at the same time which then made budgeting easier.

Being a Linux user (also have windows 10 in my laptop) I decided to explore what's available under the freedom alliance vs the evil Empire. I've been using Gnucash for 4 months now in parallel with Quicken. Basically I can get the same reports using Gnucash that I get with Quicken. Download quotes, bank credit card stuff and such. But, being a double entry accounting program it's certainly different from Quicken (full disclosure - I have a bean counting background) but really not that hard to get used to. Gnucash is clunkier not slick and does not have the multiplicity of canned reports that Quicken comes with but it works just fine - no crashes or hiccups. Plenty of documentation and on line help.

I mentioned awhile ago that I was going to make the leap to Quicken from YNAB. I did go ahead and buy it in November and imported my data. I am still learning how to do some things (I used Quicken years ago) and setting up categories.

So far, I haven't had major problems. It has crashed on me a couple of times, but not often. I like the greater flexibility of Quicken on some things. I really, really like being able to have sub-categories of sub-categories which wasn't possible in YNAB. The biggest issue is that the registers seem a bit cluttered and the columns seem too narrow. I can resize them but the save column on the right takes up a lot of real estate. In YNAB the save button is under each entry and doesn't take up valuable column space.

The biggest issue is that the registers seem a bit cluttered and the columns seem too narrow. I can resize them but the save column on the right takes up a lot of real estate. In YNAB the save button is under each entry and doesn't take up valuable column space.

Just in case you didn't realize, 1) you can make the register 1 or 2 rows depending on your preference, I actually prefer the two rows. 2) You can remove columns if you don't use them, like I don't write checks, no reason to have a check #, I don't use tags, so I get rid of that too...makes it cleaner.

I switched to Quicken 2017 Home & Business (currently on R3) for two reasons:

- it scales a LOT better with 4k monitors on Windows (this was driving me nuts on my new laptop)
- I got a screaming deal (one of those countdown sale things)

Other than solving that MAJOR irriration, I don't see a lot of changes that really matter to me.

Also, to add to Karen's post above, if you haven't done it yet, you can sort your transactions by cleared status. I love this.

I used Quicken years ago and loved it so I decided to start using Quicken 2017 (Premier) to track expenses as I prep for retirement. Unfortunately, it's practically unusable because it very rarely is able to connect to my Wells accounts. Plus, when I try to add a new Wells account to it and it finally does connect, it doesn't give me the option of selecting the account to add. Very frustrated and disappointed.

I used Quicken years ago and loved it so I decided to start using Quicken 2017 (Premier) to track expenses as I prep for retirement. Unfortunately, it's practically unusable because it very rarely is able to connect to my Wells accounts. Plus, when I try to add a new Wells account to it and it finally does connect, it doesn't give me the option of selecting the account to add. Very frustrated and disappointed.

What kind of Wells Fargo accounts do you have? I have investment accounts with Wells Fargo Advisors that sync with no problem, but the one credit card with Wells Fargo Bank is a mess. It was working fine until a few months ago, then it stopped and they still haven't fixed it. There's an open ticket for this, but I'm not holding out any hope.

I have a few checking and savings accounts at Wells that I'd like to add. To date, I've only been able to successfully add 2 of them. I also have a retirement account there that I'd like to add but it doesn't recognize it at all.

It was able to add and update a mutual fund account from Wells Fargo Funds.

I had tried to use 2015 with Lenovo Yoga 3 and the resolution was horrible. 2017 fixed that.

I have a few checking and savings accounts at Wells that I'd like to add. To date, I've only been able to successfully add 2 of them. I also have a retirement account there that I'd like to add but it doesn't recognize it at all.

It was able to add and update a mutual fund account from Wells Fargo Funds.

For the retirement account, try selecting Wells Fargo Advisors and use the same username/pw. That works for me.

Back
Top Bottom