Anyone using Turbo Tax and....

Until this thread I didn't even know there was an IRS site where you can go and check your refund. Life's too short for me to be hanging around tapping my foot angrily waiting for a refund to be deposited.

This year I had to file by mail and I have the return receipt from the Post Office to prove it was delivered. If I don't get the refund in 6 weeks I'll start worrying.

If you filed Feb 2 the IRS 10 to 21 day refund window is still open 'till the 23rd. Another week to go. Isn't it a bit early to be demanding an apology? If you feel strongly about this you could contact IRS taxpayer advocate or either of your congressional representatives.

At the risk of repeating myself, I don't want no stinkin' apology, I want my money refunded wit the same expediency they have refunded it in the past. Where did you read that I was demanding an apology?

This isn't an issue about taking a longer time anymore. The issue now is that the IRS is using an excuse for the delay in posting the status of individual tax returns on their website as the reason for delaying the refund to individual's bank account.

Let me say that again;
How is the delay of posting a refund status have anything to do with the delay of the automatic deposit of an e-file? They are throwing up smoke and mirrors here, distracting the delay of the deposit with some story about the delay of the status. They are explaining NOTHING about the delay for the refund this year.

I'm comparing their refund speed this year with all other years. I'm sure they have the same 21 day disclaimer for all the past years too, but habitually issued the returns weekly. I question the reason for the delay this year is all...

Last edited:
I'm comparing their refund speed this year with all other years. I'm sure they have the same 21 day disclaimer for all the past years too, but habitually issued the returns weekly. I question the reason for the delay this year is all...

I'm sure they have the 21 day disclaimer because, sometimes, it takes that long.

From the IRS web site:

Update: We are aware that some taxpayers who have filed electronically and received an acknowledgement from the IRS are concerned when they visit "Where's My Refund" and are told that we have no information regarding their return. This is a temporary situation, and we expect to resolve the matter in a few days. At that time, taxpayers will be able to get an expected refund date when they visit "Where's My Refund."

If a taxpayer received an acknowledgment message that their e-filed tax return has been received, they can be assured that the IRS has the tax return even though "Where's My Refund" does not reflect that. Taxpayers should not call the IRS unless specifically directed by "Where's My Refund," as there is no new information to give them.

We expect the vast majority of tax refunds to continue to be issued within the historical range of 10 to 21 days. The IRS is taking steps to update information so that Where's My Refund has current information. The IRS apologizes for any inconvenience and will provide updated information as soon as possible.

So, a little web searching shows the IRS advised about this problem in late January. See here IRS Refund Delay and Real-Time Tax System: Accounting Today

The IRS sent out a notice to tax professionals last Thursday apologizing for the delay (see IRS Warns of Tax Refund Delays). The IRS noted that the delay only affects some early filers, and taxpayers whose returns were accepted by the IRS on or after January 26 would not experience the delay. Their tax returns would be processed normally.
The question now is if the IRS takes the entire 21 days to provide the refund is it on time or is it a delay because it did to meet previous year processing speeds? A poll, perhaps?

I'm comparing their refund speed this year with all other years.
Sounds like withholding/estimated taxes are too high. These days, it is best not to have a refund. Identity theft is increasing on tax returns. Owing a bit on the return short circuits the theft.

It is only mid-February and I have two cases I am working already.

Some brokers, e.g. MLPFS, have not yet sent out 1099's.
I think almost all brokers do this due to the number of changes that would otherwise be required. I do know that Wells Fargo Advisors only sent things out in the last week, and Vanguard has not yet done so.

Hey! My accountant just sent me my finished tax filings.
I had surreptitiously also done them myself on TT.
It came out to the exact same amount.

So...this year, I'll have to pay him the $800, but next year...he's toast! $800 in my pocket! :)

Thanks to all on this forum/site who encouraged me to try TT.

So...this year, I'll have to pay him the $800, but next year...he's toast! $800 in my pocket! :)

Excellent news.

I think we know what software your accountant has been using to do your returns.

Well, just as I was warned, the IRS used my overpayment for at least a month after my return was accepted with e-file.

We have received your tax return and it is being processed. Unless there is a processing delay or you owe other taxes, you should receive your refund by March 6, 2012.
Actually it will be closer to 5 weeks.

But in any case, it won't fall within the 10 - 21 day window they claim.

I think we know what software your accountant has been using to do your returns.

Years ago I use to have an accounting office on the floor above my business. During tax time about every 15 minutes I would hear the little TT software start up jingle.

I e-filed using TT on February 3rd and I got an email about six hours later that my Federal return has been accepted. I've been checking the Where's My Refund website for a little over two weeks. I wonder if
This is a temporary situation, and we expect to resolve the matter in a few days.
is gubment speak for "have absolutely no idea..."? No wonder they don't have a date on the message. :facepalm:

Some years back the IRS used to send refunds out on Tuedays and Fridays. I think. Does anyone know if that practice still stands?

This answer was on the TT website. I can't link it because I think you have to sign into TT for their Q&A.

February 17, 2012 - More Information on Nationwide IRS Refund Delay

The refunds released today by the IRS included only a small number of refunds that were filed in the first week of the month. Current estimates are that about half of all returns filed between 2/2 and 2/7 have not yet been released by the IRS due to a nationwide IRS computer problem.

The IRS has a button at the top of IRS.GOV that says "I'm waiting for my refund". When a taxpayer clicks this button, they go to Where's My Refund and see an IRS message that explains "We are aware that some taxpayers who have filed electronically and received an acknowledgment from the IRS are concerned when the visit Where's My Refund and are told that we have no information regarding their return. This is a temporary situation, and we expect to resolve the matter in a few days."

It appears that up to 70% of the taxpayers still waiting for their refund filed in the first week of February and are not found in Where's My Refund. This leads these taxpayers to incorrectly believe that their return was not filed. Also, a small number of taxpayers are seeing a message that their refund was released when in fact it was not. In these situations, we have found that if these taxpayer returns to Where's My Refund in a few days, they will see a different message and that this new message (which will now be correct) will either show that their refund was not released or give the taxpayer a new future release date. It is difficult on all of us when the IRS does not show correct information on Where's My Refund.

This coming Monday is a federal holiday. As a result, unfortunately, the IRS will not release any refunds to any banks on Monday. As of today, looking at our statistics of tax returns filed, for returns filed on 2/1, approximately 10% have not yet been released by the IRS. For returns filed on 2/2, approximately 50% have not been released, while for returns filed between 2/3 and 2/4, about 60% of refunds have not yet been released by the IRS. For returns filed between 2/5 and 2/9, about 40% have not yet been released. For returns filed 2/10, about 50% have not yet been released. For returns filed on 2/11, about 60% have not yet been funded. For returns filed 2/12 or later, the IRS has so far released only a small number of these refunds.

I filed my 2011 taxes using TT for both myself and my DD on Feb 3, 2012. I am due a refund of ~$2,600, my DD owed a few bucks which I scheduled for an early April withdrawal. Her taxes show up fine checking on the IRS website. Mine do not exist (except in Intuit/TT land and all their not very assuring e-mails). Like everyone else here, Intuit/TT says the have been accepted. I saw the IRS note of 10-21 days "delay", should I wait until 24th (21 days) to start "raising H**l":confused: Any suggestions since I don't exist when I put in my information on the IRS website for where is my return? BTW, I’ve used TT for the last 6 years and this first time had any problems like this. Thanks

I filed on February 3rd also and I don't expect the refund to show up until early March. Bummer. This problem is soley on the shoulders of IRS. They had a programming problem that looks like it's continuing to be a problem. What bothers me is I'm pretty sure the people in charge of the "problem" got a three day weekend.

I filed on February 3rd also and I don't expect the refund to show up until early March. Bummer. This problem is soley on the shoulders of IRS. They had a programming problem that looks like it's continuing to be a problem. What bothers me is I'm pretty sure the people in charge of the "problem" got a three day weekend.

I am sure many of them also took Friday and/or Tuesday. Federal employers with more than 3 yrs get 20 days of vacation and 13 days of what we (when I worked for the Govt.) called "slick" leave. 26 days of vacation after 15 years.

Anyway, some of this may also be due to Congress sending in last minute to the President at the end of year. I can't think of or point to anything specific. But having worked large software systems for much of my career it takes time implement and test changes resulting from tax law changes.

Do not get me wrong the IRS is still near the top of my resentment list, but I know for a fact lawmakers have no clue when they pass a bill that effects some major software driven system, it takes time for the changes to be put in place by the Govt. or contract employees that do the work.

<snip>Anyway, some of this may also be due to Congress sending in last minute to the President at the end of year.
I absolutely agree that's a major part of the problem. HOWEVER, my return was a simple 1040 without any schedules or forms (the problem areas) so there is no reason it should not have been pushed through fast and furious.

Every time I log on to Where's My Return I answer the survey questions. The gubment likes surveys so I'm happy to oblige. I'm satisfied on the first two questions and I give them the absolute worse rating on the third question about my satisfaction of the information I received using this website. :mad:

I mailed my passport renewal 10 days after I e-filed my taxes. I bet I'll get my passport before my refund. At least the Department of State's Passport_Application_Status website works. (I put in the link in case some of you were not aware you could track your passport application.)

Back
Top Bottom