Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2023, 05:30 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes425 View Post
I am frustrated. I don't try to time the market, and saw major NAV losses in bond FUNDS which constitute a large portion of my fixed income allocation.
The notion that 'this year will be different' is fading fast for me, as i watch my mostly short term bond funds tank - again, as in 2022, WITH equities... and simply not functioning as 'ballast' or offsetting volatility in equities. I also am watching a large investment in small cap equity getting wrecked.

What's the realistic outlook going forward for 1-3 year bond FUNDS. I have a roughly 2.5m assets PF and am worried about where this market is going. I have an hourly advisor who isn't suggesting any changes at all.

Thanks for any perspectives,
I just rebalance as needed. This is a long game. You’ll drive yourself crazy otherwise.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2023, 05:39 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I just rebalance as needed. This is a long game. You’ll drive yourself crazy otherwise.
+1000
I'm still holding a small bit of high yield bond fund. The monthly interest has crept back up to about 6.5%. I had held a regular bond fund for over 20 years, but dumped it all about 8 months ago.

For me, a stock/fund has to deliver either a good dividend/interest or growth (preferably both) OVER TIME but my bond fund was doing neither.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:47 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Looking for funds that don't lose footing and always have positive returns reminds me of a leprechaun searching for his pot of gold. Look at the history of each fund you have in your portfolio. There are certainly years where performance is negative for each fund.

If someone needs guarantees, then maybe look for risk levels at the bottom of the scale. https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Risk...free%22_assets

“The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan.” -- Carl von Clausewitz (born 1 June 1780, died 16 November 1831)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:30 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I got out of the bond fund game before I retired and instead built two bond ladders - taxable in deferred accounts and tax free in a taxable account.
They provide high current income - more than we need and - the most important part - they preserve capital because individual bonds have a par - their original value - to return to.

In the current yield environment there exists a chance to lock in returns that were unheard of just a year ago. I doubled our income in just the last year and will have that income for about the next 9+ years.
I still hold some equities, but I may never have to touch them.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:12 AM   #25

In a similar thread, I asked about what the magnitude of the difference would be for ditching the bond funds and going to individual bonds at a specific point in time. Of course we don't know for sure, because we don't know where interest rates will go. But, unlike equities, we can say with some level of confidence that the interest rates will be in a relatively small range compared to, say, where the equity market will go.

My non-mathematically based opinion is that it's not going to make too very much difference in the grand scheme if you stay in your funds vs dumping them and buying individual bonds. This, because I imagine/guess most of the rate increases are behind us. Sure, you could get an immediate bump in cash getting thrown off if you bailed from the fund and made a ladder. That difference is probably going to shrink as time goes on. I don't see that there's a financial down-side to doing your own bonds. In other words, you probably won't do worse than the bond fund if you follow some basic rules. The down-side is just having to fiddle with individual bonds. And for many here, it's a plus (hobby).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
OP - sounds like your advisor does the buying for you .
I buy my own stocks and bonds, in a self managed account and don't pay a yearly fee for that privilege.

I have learned, going forward, I'll not buy bond funds again. I got to enjoy some bond fund lowering of NAV like lots of people.

It's just as easy to buy Treasuries, CD's, or bonds of very safe companies like a few banks.

I'll keep enough money short term, to not have to sell the bonds at a loss, so not lose my principal.
Thanks, actually no, i do all trades myself. Just get input from him… Bond fund rule of thumb being that i dont lose the $$ if i hold them long enough….i think i’ll be ok… the market is just particularly frustrating now. And of course that applies to all sectors. I went heavier into Small Cap beginning early this year and was enjoying the rise only to watch all gains and then some wiped out in that ETF in the past week or so,…
mikes425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
.... My non-mathematically based opinion is that it's not going to make too very much difference in the grand scheme if you stay in your funds vs dumping them and buying individual bonds. This, because I imagine/guess most of the rate increases are behind us. Sure, you could get an immediate bump in cash getting thrown off if you bailed from the fund and made a ladder. That difference is probably going to shrink as time goes on. I don't see that there's a financial down-side to doing your own bonds. In other words, you probably won't do worse than the bond fund if you follow some basic rules. The down-side is just having to fiddle with individual bonds. And for many here, it's a plus (hobby).
I'm not so sure. Let's take Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares VBRIX as an example. The portfolio has a 2.8 year average maturity and 2.4% average coupon as of 2/28/23 and a 2.02% distribution yield.

Let's use an extreme example where I buy VBRIX on 3/1/23 at its $9.84 NAV and Vanguard immediately puts the portfolio into runoff. Over the next 5.6 years I'll get the 2.4% coupons and the bonds will converge to par so the 6.81% unrealized losses will unwind but I'll also get the 1.22% realized loss.

I don't see how I get much more than a 3-1/2% return from the bonds in the portfolio as of 2/28/2023.

Meanwhile, one can construct a 6 year CD ladder today that will yield 5%+

So if I have $100k in VBRIX, how can I go wrong just selling and creating a 6 year CD ladder?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:32 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm not so sure. Let's take Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index Fund Admiral Shares VBRIX as an example. The portfolio has a 2.8 year average maturity and 2.4% average coupon as of 2/28/23 and a 2.02% distribution yield.

Let's use an extreme example where I buy VBRIX on 3/1/23 at its $9.84 NAV and Vanguard immediately puts the portfolio into runoff. Over the next 5.6 years I'll get the 2.4% coupons and the bonds will converge to par so the 6.81% unrealized losses will unwind but I'll also get the 1.22% realized loss.

I don't see how I get much more than a 3-1/2% return from the bonds in the portfolio as of 2/28/2023.

So if I have $100k in VBRIX, how can I go wrong just selling and creating a 6 year CD ladder?
Your method of valuation of VBRIX seems to differ pretty substantially from what the SEC tells investors (SEC yield 4.69%) or the yield to maturity (4.9%).
Exchme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:54 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

But let's not kid ourselves. When you buy individual bonds, the value of the bonds you hold decrease as interest rates rise and if you needed to sell for any reason, you would experience the same loss as someone holding a bond fund of similar maturity. But the response is usually that I don't sell and will hold to maturity. You most likely will then collect less interest than a bond fund of similar duration would yield as rates rise. There just is no free lunch and I expect that this has been discussed to death over the years.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

That’s no different than saying select CDs have a higher return than Treasuries. If there’s a difference in total return it’s not fund vs individual bond, it’s CD vs Treasuries.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:24 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exchme View Post
Your method of valuation of VBRIX seems to differ pretty substantially from what the SEC tells investors (SEC yield 4.69%) or the yield to maturity (4.9%).
+1

The SEC yield is a good approximation of what you'll get over <duration> years.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:24 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exchme View Post
Yes, and that is the big disconnect.

Quote:
SEC yield
A non-money market fund's SEC yield is based on a formula developed by the SEC. The method calculates a fund's hypothetical annualized income as a percentage of its assets.

A security's income, for the purposes of this calculation, is based on the current market yield to maturity (for bonds) or projected dividend yield (for stocks) of the fund's holdings over a trailing 30-day period. This hypothetical income will differ (at times, significantly) from the fund's actual experience. As a result, income distributions from the fund may be higher or lower than implied by the SEC yield.
I'm just struggling to see how the portfolio will ever achieve the 4.69% SEC return given what they disclose about the portfolio. The only possibility that I can imagine is that that they bought many, many bonds at a deep discount to par and then the value of the bonds declined in value even more.

Given the uncertainty, I'd rather have the ladder where I know and can see what the yield will be over some hypothetical black box. Besides, even if the ultimate income was the 4.9% portfolio yield-to-maturity less the 0.07% ER, so 4.83% yield is still less than the 5%+ that a 6-year CD ladder would yield at today's rates so I'll take 5%+ that I can see over 4.83% in a black box.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:32 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
My non-mathematically based opinion is that it's not going to make too very much difference in the grand scheme if you stay in your funds vs dumping them and buying individual bonds.
I'm leaning that way as well. The fixed component of my FIRE portfolio is a mixture of actively managed bond funds and individual instruments. Most of the bond fund money is in one actively managed fund which is currently paying 6.6% and has returned 1.21% ytd............ about as much as if I had sold it at the first of the year and bought CD's. So, I'm just going to hang with that one and watch and reinvest its divs and new fixed money into individual instruments.

I understand the thinking of folks who've dumped everything and gone to 100% individual fixed instruments. But I'm thinking I'll stick to my 60/40 (or so) AA with equities predominantly in VTI (or similar) and fixed in a mix of individual instruments and my favorite actively managed fund (which has outperformed BND over the last decade).

It'll be fun to compare notes in a decade or so......... I fully accept that my strategy may put me in the poorhouse or........ who knows?
Old 03-18-2023, 04:29 PM   #34

Anyone with a Balanced Portfolio feeling major pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

+1 on the long game. I might be thinking incorrectly but we’re in year 2 of higher rates and the VG total bond index has an average effective maturity of 8.9 years and average duration of 6.57 years. If rates stay high, the fund is gradually swelling with higher yield bonds. Eventually, when rates decline again, due to a recession or other shock, the fund ought to outperform for years thereafter the individual bonds and CDs on the market at that time. Plus there’s value in diversification, extremely low fees and passive investing works. Plus, I only expect bonds to to return 4% historically and that fund is up 3.06 YTD. YMMV.

For the OP, I have a balanced portfolio but no one ever promised me no major pain.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:06 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since most people use bonds as a counter to the volatility of their equity investments; they don't want to endure volatility in their bonds.
We are retired and don't want to get clobbered by a "sequence of returns" problem that forces us to sell equities for living expenses and then don't have the equities left to benefit from the inevitable(?) rise in stocks.

We have enough in CD's and govt bonds to live for fifteen years by cashing them in at maturity, so no interest rate risk for us. If the equities don't start to recover in 10 years, we'll have to start selling them or other assets.

The best thing I ever learned from this site is that bond funds aren't bonds. For someone already retired and living off their investments, bond funds seem to be the worst of both worlds.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:53 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Your bond ladder IS a bond fund! If you hold to maturity you do not realize losses on those securities. BUT, when you reinvest in new bonds you invest at the market rate then in effect. That is interest rate risk, the bogeyman that some individual bond investors claim they avoid.

Bond ladders only defeat interest rate risk when the proceeds will not be reinvested e.g., when the proceeds will be spent at maturity. Most of us will be reinvesting.

Bonds seem consistently better than bond funds to some because they compare an investment in bonds made at current market rates with an existing portfolio of lower coupon bonds in a fund.

But serious bond investors will also own low coupon bonds bought when rates were lower, just as bond funds do. And as their bonds mature they must reinvest at current market rates, not the rates in effect when they started the ladder.

At certain points in a market cycle bond funds may not be a good buy because of fund flow dynamics. But to say individual bonds are always better is just false. A bond fund is an investment tool as is a bond. Each has pros and cons and works best for some tasks and less well with others.

We had a really nice thread discussing pros and cons of bonds and bond funds. But this was made untenable by some folks' intense desire to insist bonds are always better, carry no market risk, etc.

I am glad this is not that type of discussion and hope it can stay as such.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:32 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes425 View Post
Thanks, actually no, i do all trades myself. Just get input from him… Bond fund rule of thumb being that i dont lose the $$ if i hold them long enough….i think i’ll be ok… the market is just particularly frustrating now. And of course that applies to all sectors. I went heavier into Small Cap beginning early this year and was enjoying the rise only to watch all gains and then some wiped out in that ETF in the past week or so,…
No matter the specifics of your timing move, things happen as you describe. There is Wheeee! on the way up, and on the way down.

The height and depths of your investing roller coaster come from the risk you build in, or leave out along the path.

If you modify the structure (your asset allocation), then your ride changes.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:39 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

5-6 months ago I got out of the majority of my bond funds and put together a CD ladder, ranging from 4.5% - 5%. I'm sleeping better now.
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointBreeze View Post
5-6 months ago I got out of the majority of my bond funds and put together a CD ladder, ranging from 4.5% - 5%. I'm sleeping better now.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2023-03-24 15-45-12.png (37.1 KB, 87 views)
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:56 PM   #40

^^^^[emoji846]
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote