Anyone worried about the Ukrainian situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtbach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know, I know, an asteroid can hit us at any moment, but should one be nervous about what is going on in the Ukraine?

My take is that this could seriously impact the markets in the next few months fairly badly. If so, should one take some money from the latest run up? Or just let it ride?

I know, I know, an asteroid can strike at any minute too.

If it isn't the Ukraine it's Bitcoins. If it isn't Bitcoins, it's .... you get the idea.

It will continue exactly like this until the asteroid hits.

Not at all. The economic fallout of Russias takover of Ukrane will have about as much impact on the world's finances as the Russian takover of Hungary in 1956.

There will be much hot ir blown, otherwise, no impact.

I moved about a quarter of my 401k to a stable value fund on Friday anticipating some turbulence, but that is only three percent of our net worth. I did it to take advantage of potential lower prices because of the news, but had been thinking of it for a while with the way the market has been going. I still have plenty in stocks and index funds that won't be touched.

Russian markets are way down, gold is up as a safe haven. There may be disruption of oil supplies piped from Russia through Ukraine, which could increase the price of oil, but there are now other oil and gas sources. Ukraine itself is a tiny portion of the world economy. I am more worried about a new Cold War than anything else.

Russian markets are way down, gold is up as a safe haven. There may be disruption of oil supplies piped from Russia through Ukraine, which could increase the price of oil, but there are now other oil and gas sources. Ukraine itself is a tiny portion of the world economy. I am more worried about a new Cold War than anything else.

Cold war? Invest in strategic weapons manufacturers. Star wars may become reality.:D

I am more worried about a new Cold War than anything else.

Why? Everybody made a lot of money off that last Cold War. And the dangers were wildly overstated. But it wouldn't have been as profitable if the People had known that.

Why? Because it might be a hot war.

Other than those who have investments in Russia and/or Ukraine, I doubt if many of us will be affected. FWIW, we have about as much influence over what Russia does in Ukraine as the Russians have over how we handle our affairs with Mexico. In other words, spheres of influence.

Why would the events in Ukraine be any more significant than Tunisia, Egypt, Iran, Israel-Palestine, Syria, Afghanistan-Pakistan, etc. Hopefully something good will come of this for Ukrainians.

Outside Ukraine, it's mostly posturing as usual including our leaders...probably a minor buying opportunity for investors if anything. The market overreacts to all news, good or bad, short term.

Last edited:
The only realistic threat of any import is a disruption of the supply of natural gas through Ukrainian pipelines. Oil is relatively easy to bring in via tanker. Natural gas, not so much.

Unless that move the draft, or prior service recall up to age up to 55, I am not worried.

I am sure some sanctions will be attempted, and Vetoed at the UN. Maybe we will even attempt to take away Putin's birthday. Putin will respond by chopping wood with his shirt off, and the world will know he is powerfull and stay away.

Other than those who have investments in Russia and/or Ukraine, I doubt if many of us will be affected. FWIW, we have about as much influence over what Russia does in Ukraine as the Russians have over how we handle our affairs with Mexico. In other words, spheres of influence.

That's the truth. Really nothing much the US (or anyone) for that matter can do about it. On the other hand, nobody could do much for Poland in 1939 but look at the mess that turned into. . .

And what might be scarier about this situation is, if Putin gets away with taking over Ukraine, what would stop him from then taking over Georgia, Belarus, the Baltic countries, etc? Would the world sit back and let that happen??

And would that perhaps affect the markets?

Suppose they had a fair election in Crimea and the population voted to secede from Ukraine and become a state of Russia. Wouldn't that be perfectly OK? Isn't that what democracy is all about?

What I find remarkable is the amount of misinformation going on. The Russian media flat out spreads rumors, so if you are a Russian or Ukrainian reading the Russian media, then you are upset. Perhaps even Putin believes what his propagandists are telling him.

Anticipate a bit or a stiffening of NATO's spine, and more assistance (not troops, but tech and $$) to the eastern frontier with the [-]USSR[/-] Russian Federation.

Interesting that there have been some protests in Moscow. If this is played right, this could hurt Putin, but there's no present indication that it's being played right.

The urgent step for now is to halt the spread at Crimea, to assure eastern Ukraine that their long-term interests are with the west, not Russia.

Ukraine gave up the nuclear weapons on her territory after the USSR broke up. They did this in exchange for guarantees that Russia would stay out. So much for the much-dreamed of rollback in the nuclear club. The lesson has already been learned that nuclear weapons are a much more effective guarantee of neighborly nonaggression than any paper agreement.

Ukrainians, Georgians, Poles, Czechs--it helps to travel over there a bit. What they went through is still fresh on their minds. They will do a lot to avoid a repeat. I wish them all good luck, as they've had their share of the other kind.

Last edited:
Troubles in Eurasia are better than troubles in Uranus...

Russia will do what it deems necessary to defend it's interests, particularly access to the Black Sea. I'm currently cautiously optimistic that they aren't planning to occupy the whole of Ukraine. If one of our bases around the world seemed threatened, you can bet we'd (we being the USA) move military assets into the region. Hopefully, a negotiated solution will be forthcoming, but likely not without more turmoil.

As for my investments, I'm unlikely to change course, unless things get really hairy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom