Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
The Apple Card is now open to all US customers after the preview period;

https://nr.apple.com/d2s5Z372I2
Got mine today. It was a quick and easy process using the phone and the card was in my watch/phone/Mac within a minute, ready to use. I might not use it much since I hear it won't download transactions to Quicken, but considering the 2% back on purchases using ApplePay vs. my usual 1.5% with Capital One I said, what the heck. I like to think they'll have the downloads up and running eventually.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #82

Got mine, will use it for Apple Pay, set up auto pay, will see how
It works for online purchases. DW wants a new iPhone.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #83

Quote:
The Apple Card is now open to all US customers after the preview period;

https://nr.apple.com/d2s5Z372I2
I see they also added Uber as a 3% cash back outlet. Nice!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #84

Just used the Apple Card for the first time. Charged 23 Euro and it converted to $25.49. That compares favorably to XE.com which is quoting $25.5336. So since there is no FTF, it looks like another point for the card.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just used the Apple Card for the first time. Charged 23 Euro and it converted to $25.49. That compares favorably to XE.com which is quoting $25.5336. So since there is no FTF, it looks like another point for the card.

That’s good news. A lot of CC companies give you a great F/X rate and then take it back in spades with a transaction fee. Or vice versa.
Scubamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #86

Oh, be sure not to put your physical Apple Card in a leather billfold or your jeans pocket.

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210399

Quote:
Some fabrics, like leather and denim, might cause permanent discoloration that will not wash off.
Quote:
How to safely store and carry your titanium Apple Card
Store your titanium Apple Card in a wallet, pocket, or bag made of soft materials.
Place your card in a slot in your wallet or billfold without touching another credit card. If two credit cards are placed in the same slot your card could become scratched.
Don't place or store your titanium Apple Card card near magnets. If your card is placed close to a magnetic latch on a purse or bag, the magnetic strip can become demagnetized.
Don't place your titanium Apple Card in a pocket or bag that contains loose change, keys, or other potentially abrasive objects.
They’re kidding, right?
Old 08-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Oh, be sure not to put your physical Apple Card in a leather billfold or your jeans pocket.
Why would I care if it gets scratched or discolored? As long it still works...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Apple Card
Old 08-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Apple Card

Quote:

Thanks for posting. It sounds like they really want you to use Wallet/Pay, if available.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #89

I want one because I really like Apple but I also like simplicity. The only card we use is the Fidelity card. We have another card, but we don’t use it. It’s a GM card and since I’m retired, the points aren’t as valuable as when I was working and leasing frequently. Anyway, the Fidelity card is very simple for us. We pay it from our Fidelity account and one card is, simple. The only value I see is 3% on Apple products and no foreign transaction fees. We don’t travel outside of the US. We may someday, but nothing planned and we’re not big travelers anyway. I’ll probably buy an iPhone in the future but so far I usually get a deal through my cellular provider.

If anyone can give me a reason to get it, I’m all ears. I just don’t see it adding anything to my life at this point other than the cool titanium card.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #90

For simplicity, the Apple Card with Apple Pay can be great for travel.

Contactless payments are common in a lot of countries. Last time I was in Poland, I didn’t need any local currency and used Apple Pay everywhere. In London, you can use it for public transport, just scan in and scan out. This works for a lot of different places in the world. The US is behind in this regard, even though it’s getting better.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How to safely store and carry your titanium Apple Card
Store your titanium Apple Card in a wallet, pocket, or bag made of soft materials.
Place your card in a slot in your wallet or billfold without touching another credit card. If two credit cards are placed in the same slot your card could become scratched.
Don't place or store your titanium Apple Card card near magnets. If your card is placed close to a magnetic latch on a purse or bag, the magnetic strip can become demagnetized.
Don't place your titanium Apple Card in a pocket or bag that contains loose change, keys, or other potentially abrasive objects.
Hmm...reminds me of the SNL skit "Happy Fun Ball"

And wow, SNL skits with Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, and Jan Hooks is "Vintage"...guess I am getting old!

Old 08-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210399

They’re kidding, right?
Um, never mind.

Although the magnetic wipe business is true for all cards with a magnetic strip.

Don’t know if I’d carry the card anyway. I have lots of great rewards cards.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
SNL skits with Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, and Jan Hooks is "Vintage"...guess I am getting old!
And the video makes reference to bombing Iraq, and it's "vintage."
Apple Card
Old 10-07-2019, 07:05 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Apple Card

Now that I finally have a device (a basic iPad) new enough to support Cash, Pay and Card, I was approved for the card. It was a bit more challenging than the descriptions would have you think because I wasn’t applying on an iPhone (mine’s too old). But in the end possible.

I learned a couple of things I hadn’t known before which I guess is normal when working with a new device and software. I didn’t know there’s an iPadOS (distinct from iOS). Also there isn’t a Wallet app on the iPad as far as I can tell.

I was set up with a $10K limit on a credit score of 833. I requested a physical card too although I’m not sure I’ll use it and don’t plan on carrying it around (at least initially). My only expectation at this point is to use it for future Apple purchases since I can get better cash back rewards for non-Apple things from other cards.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #95

Quote:
I learned a couple of things I hadn’t known before which I guess is normal when working with a new device and software. I didn’t know there’s an iPadOS (distinct from iOS). Also there isn’t a Wallet app on the iPad as far as I can tell.
iPadOS was first introduced on September 24 of this year, so don't feel bad about not knowing about it until recently. And correct, no Wallet app in iPadOS.

I got an Apple card that I only use on the watch. I get better cash back with other cards using a physical card or when ordering online, except iTunes or Apple products which isn't very often.

Can one manage the card w/o a phone? So far I haven't figured out how to do that except in the phone's wallet app. And no Quicken download capability is a PITA.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
iPadOS was first introduced on September 24 of this year, so don't feel bad about not knowing about it until recently. And correct, no Wallet app in iPadOS.

I got an Apple card that I only use on the watch. I get better cash back with other cards using a physical card or when ordering online, except iTunes or Apple products which isn't very often.

Can one manage the card w/o a phone? So far I haven't figured out how to do that except in the phone's wallet app. And no Quicken download capability is a PITA.

Ah! I didn’t know iPadOS is the new kid on the block, thanks. The lack of a separate Wallet app on the pad was one of two things confusing to me (the other was a lack of a Health app which I’ve been using a lot recently - that one also stumped an official Apple support person with whom I spoke on the phone).

I think the card management features on the iPad are buried in Settings > Wallet and Apple Pay.

Although I’m a long time die-hard Quicken user I don’t download transactions but understand why that would be a pain.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #97
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
For simplicity, the Apple Card with Apple Pay can be great for travel.

Contactless payments are common in a lot of countries. Last time I was in Poland, I didn’t need any local currency and used Apple Pay everywhere. In London, you can use it for public transport, just scan in and scan out. This works for a lot of different places in the world. The US is behind in this regard, even though it’s getting better.
This will be attractive, till its terms changeafter they're entrenched.

In HK/Singapore I've been advised that's the only means of payment, for everything.
No Thanks! Do you realize what monopolistic payment methods mandate?
You do recall Lincoln, Kennedy, Jackson, Roosevelt, and a couple other POTUS tried to remove the USA from its currency providers. Most were assassinated.
JMHO. Plus John Perkins & others literature.
Yes....The USA & the FED since 1907ish!
We live in interesting times.
Best Wishes.
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

I got my physical (Titanium) card yesterday and activated it through the iPad.

True to form, even the packaging is all about style.

Now I want to learn how to set it up properly to maximize cash back when used with a particular credit card. My hope is to combine the 3% from Apple with 1% (or whatever) from Discover/AmEx on a purchase of Apple products.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #99

I have had several Apple Card contactless transactions declined for no apparent reason, with no discernible pattern. I verified that the vendor took MasterCard and using another card on my watch worked. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 10-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #100

I only had it declined twice. Both times were because the store didn't take MasterCard. I have four cards loaded in my Apple Pay: The Apple Card (MC), another MC, a Visa, and an Amex. So it's trivial to switch to a different one in the Wallet app and use that.