Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Applied for my SS online, have a phone interview next month.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Applied for my SS online, have a phone interview next month.

As the title says, I applied for my SS to start in February 2023, I will be 69 by then. My SSA.GOV benefit information has since been suspended as a result, at least that is what it says when I look. The application process was pretty seamless, and I had the interview date after only a couple of days.

I was wondering if I will get the 8.7% increase added to my benefit amount that I checked before applying. I would like to assume so as my first payment will be after my 69th birthday that is in mid-January 2023.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In a similar position, signed up two weeks ago to start receiving benefits in Jan 2023. No interview scheduled yet, received an email that my application is being reviewed by the Boston office and may get a phone call from them, said I would get a letter within 30 days with a decision or if additional information is needed.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
As the title says, I applied for my SS to start in February 2023, I will be 69 by then. My SSA.GOV benefit information has since been suspended as a result, at least that is what it says when I look. The application process was pretty seamless, and I had the interview date after only a couple of days.

I was wondering if I will get the 8.7% increase added to my benefit amount that I checked before applying. I would like to assume so as my first payment will be after my 69th birthday that is in mid-January 2023.
Yes.
Anyone currently 62 to 70 receive COLAs whether they are currently collecting or not.
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:36 PM   #4

COLAs are always applied beginning with the payment received in January.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also signed up for SS a couple of weeks ago. Philadelphia office apparently. I got the acknowledgement email. No further contact. Online status says I'm on second step of 3. I'll be 65 in January and starting SS and Medicare. I requested part B when I applied for SS.

I'd also like to have taxes withheld from my SS automatically. I didn't see an option to request that when I signed up online. Is that something I'll have to go to a SS office to set up?
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
In a similar position, signed up two weeks ago to start receiving benefits in Jan 2023. No interview scheduled yet, received an email that my application is being reviewed by the Boston office and may get a phone call from them, said I would get a letter within 30 days with a decision or if additional information is needed.
I applied online in Sep for January benefit (age 70). I am already receiving a spousal benefit. I was unaware nor informed about any "interview." What exactly is the purpose of the interview -- they have all the information in the application or their system?

I have read in several places that a "letter in 30 days" is aspirational. I plan to check MY SS some time next month to see if there is any new information. The local SS office isn't that far for me to pop in after that if there is nothing new on their system; however, in the past, I've found that if it isn't in the system, the locals can't see much either.

It isn't paid until February so there is still a lot of runway left.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I applied online in Sep for January benefit (age 70). I am already receiving a spousal benefit. I was unaware nor informed about any "interview." What exactly is the purpose of the interview -- they have all the information in the application or their system?

I have read in several places that a "letter in 30 days" is aspirational. I plan to check MY SS some time next month to see if there is any new information. The local SS office isn't that far for me to pop in after that if there is nothing new on their system; however, in the past, I've found that if it isn't in the system, the locals can't see much either.

It isn't paid until February so there is still a lot of runway left.

The telephone interview is just another way to apply, or if needed to gain follow-up information. The good thing about applying by telephone is I was approved the same day.
Online applications often are not approved until shortly before the benefit begins.
I was glad to apply by telephone to be able to get my ex-wife’s information to them so they could contact her to apply. My son confirmed they did, and she’s now receiving a benefit based on my work years. She hasn’t been doing well since the 1993 divorce.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
I also signed up for SS a couple of weeks ago. Philadelphia office apparently. I got the acknowledgement email. No further contact. Online status says I'm on second step of 3. I'll be 65 in January and starting SS and Medicare. I requested part B when I applied for SS.

I'd also like to have taxes withheld from my SS automatically. I didn't see an option to request that when I signed up online. Is that something I'll have to go to a SS office to set up?
You need to file an IRS form for withholding tax on your SSB and send to your local SSA office separately (with max of 22% Fed tax, no State tax). You can do any time after SSB approval, but it has to be done on paper form, not through the website or app. Part B deduction is default, while withholding tax is optional especially if you have other more convenient place like pension etc.
xlf11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlf11 View Post
You need to file an IRS form for withholding tax on your SSB and send to your local SSA office separately (with max of 22% Fed tax, no State tax). You can do any time after SSB approval, but it has to be done on paper form, not through the website or app. Part B deduction is default, while withholding tax is optional especially if you have other more convenient place like pension etc.

If filing by telephone interview, they can set your withholding for taxes over the phone. But as you stated, if done online it has to be paper.
I forget the withholding rates, but it’s a limited selection with the highest being 22%.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #11

Federal tax withholding from SS can be done only in a few options. You can have 7, 10, 12 or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld, no other amounts.

On a side note, our interactions with SS phone reps have been outstanding. You make an appointment and they call you right on time. They have been knowledgeable, professional, courteous, and helpful every single time.
Old 10-18-2022, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
The telephone interview is just another way to apply, or if needed to gain follow-up information. The good thing about applying by telephone is I was approved the same day.
Online applications often are not approved until shortly before the benefit begins.
I was glad to apply by telephone to be able to get my ex-wife’s information to them so they could contact her to apply. My son confirmed they did, and she’s now receiving a benefit based on my work years. She hasn’t been doing well since the 1993 divorce.
That is how I applied for spousal benefit. in the end I had to go into the SS office and present a certified (raised seal) copy of our marriage certificate. I'm guessing that since I am already receiving a benefit, the change to my own benefit will not require any additional information.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I checked my SSA.gov info today and it says my application has been approved but I have not received a letter and it has not listed an amount. It simply says approved.

I am not scheduled to receive anything till January 2023 first payment payable in February 2023.

Should I expect a letter or something confirming? The info on SSA.gov is very generic other than saying approved with no dates.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:31 PM   #14

Same here, applied beginning of October for January start, my application status shows: "Your claim has been approved but will continue to show pending until the month you elected to start your benefits." No letter yet.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 02:34 PM   #15

I applied last year around October 1 to begin SS in January, first payment February.
I had a phone appointment mid December and the rep told me how much I would be getting.
Follow up in writing about a week later stating exactly what rep told me.
I believe my application was pending on line until the appointment call.
Did you check to see what your benefit letter states?

I would expect it to show in December for January benefit and pay in February but I could be wrong.
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 03:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I had my phone appointment 2 weeks after application. I was not told what I would get as WEP needed to calculated.

SSA.GOV showed "Under Review" for about another 2 weeks, then today I noticed it was approved.

I am assuming I will get a letter at some point
Old 10-28-2022, 03:39 PM   #17

The letter is probably already available on the SS website. Look around a bit, I forget where I found mine. They did also send me a copy, but it was the exact same thing as what I found on line. If it’s not there, it will be soon.
Old 10-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
The letter is probably already available on the SS website. Look around a bit, I forget where I found mine. They did also send me a copy, but it was the exact same thing as what I found on line. If it’s not there, it will be soon.
Thanks, I looked but could not find it. Maybe it is too soon.
Old 10-28-2022, 04:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks, I looked but could not find it. Maybe it is too soon.
I applied in early September to start January. Nothing yet. I don't think I'll need a phone call since I am already receiving spousal so they have everything verified in my case. I have a note in my calendar to call them in December if nothing shows up online.
Old 10-28-2022, 07:46 PM   #20

Quote:
I had my phone appointment 2 weeks after application. I was not told what I would get as WEP needed to calculated.

SSA.GOV showed "Under Review" for about another 2 weeks, then today I noticed it was approved.

I am assuming I will get a letter at some point

My benefits incorporate WEP also.
I have the same pension-CalPERs but with three local counties.
Only one puts me into WEP so they did ask about how much was from that county- I believe I put that in the application and when rep called she just confirmed that information.
They had to determine if that portion of my pension was over the income- I can’t remember the criteria now.

FWIW- I did the online WEP benefits calculator and it was spot on in the amount.
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote