Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Applying for Individual Health Insurance
Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Applying for Individual Health Insurance

Two months ago I decided to stop taking my low dose blood pressure medicine that I had been taking for almost 2 yrs.* I’ve been eating healthier, exercising, losing weight, and taking my bp using a wrist monitor and recording it in a bp diary.* My bp has stayed the same as when I was on the med.* *

I will soon be applying for indiv health ins for my ER.* I realize my bp is a pre-existing condition, so will be excluded from coverage for a certain time frame, but that is fine because I no longer need the med and intend to keep it that way!

My question is this… for the purpose of reporting this on the application for the individual health ins, do I need to go back to the dr for an “official ok” to my stopping the bp med?* Or would this dr visit be viewed negatively because it occurs so soon to applying for the new insurance?

Thank you for your input.
WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Applying for Individual Health Insurance
Old 03-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When the new healthcare provider asks for your medical records, they'll get all that info from your old doctor. I'd get the doctor to verify that the meds are no longer needed. Otherwise I'm betting you wont get any individual health care. Even if the doctor says 'yea', i'll bet its a problem.

Did you ever track your bp at home prior to starting the medications? My dad checks his own at home, and always has. Every time he goes to the doctor, its higher. I dont know if its white coat syndrome, they're not doing it right, or he's not doing it right. But they gave him a pill and it made him feel dizzy, so he quit taking it. His bp is still good at home. Still bad at the office.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Find a good insur. broker who knows healthcare insureance and have a nice chat BEFORE you apply to any carrier. Little things can hang you out to dry.

A BC/BS broker told me that a 46 yr. 5'6" male is "normal weight " at 184 Lbs., But will pay 25% more at 185 Lbs. and they will go by your last doctor visit .
Fat Chance* in getting a reduction in premium later if you loose weight after coverage is issued. gee ,I made a funny.

The broker or better yet , an atty. can advise you on things you don't have to disclose in your state.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

you should read "The New Health Insurance Solution: How to Get Cheaper, Better Coverage Without a Traditional Employer Plan" by Paul Zane Pilzer. If you have a condition where reasonable person would seek doctor's advice and you do not, your insurance company may decide that you have preexisting condition. And they may decide to return your premiums or not to cover for blood preassure. And I do not think home monitors are very reliable anyway.
ret101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah...my old HMO had that clause buried 9' deep in the fine print...if you omitted anything or were untruthful about anything...anything at all...they could give you back your money and charge you market price for all the care you had received from them...ever.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712

The broker or better yet , an atty. can advise you on things you don't have to disclose in your state.
Now tell me our healthcare system isn't seriously broke, if you have to see a lawyer about health insurance applications and another poster is afraid to go to the doctor because a health issue might show up on her record.

C

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

reply #4. You should take this clause in your policy seriously. If your claim is for anything substantial, your HMO will look at everything possible not to pay. Anything you did not tell them will be used against you and court will be with them. Do you think in this day and age is possible to hide anything from them? Anybody saw article in WSJ today. Fidelity estimates that couple after 65 (and eligible for Medicare) should have 200k saved up for oop medical expenses not including long term care.
ret101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Started BC/BS in Oct (beats COBRA) ... triing to remember the ap. Believe the meds question was for the 'last 3 months' might be worth getting the ap (and applying next month). Operations question is 'ever'.

Premium we pay is $3 higher than the online instant quote ... not sure if this means one of us is fat
Old 03-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you everyone.

Bunny:* Yes, I started my bp diary before going off the med.* Like your Dad,* *it is always higher at the dr offc.* Also higher at work which one of the reasons I am RE (tired of being on call 24x7).

ret101:* Actually, I took my Omron wrist monitor to dr offc to compare readings and they were the same.* I downloaded the book you suggested.* Great info.* Thanks.*

Seeing dr tomorrow.* Will have my bp diary in hand and will ask her to document that med is no longer needed because I am controling via diet and exersize.*

WyndChym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance