Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Applying for SS Benefits for minor child.....
Old 07-13-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Applying for SS Benefits for minor child.....

Well, I did it. Applied for benefits in April and received a letter of approval in late May.

But I also received a letter indicating that my minor son could also be eligible for benefits (he is).

So I called the 800 number to start the process - and was told I would be receiving a call from the local office. Two months later and I never received a call. They look at the notes and said someone tried to call me but got a busy signal. They rescheduled a call for mid-August.

I called the local office several times and get different advice each time. Last person I talked to suggested I go to the local office in person, so I did. Local office refused to see me, said that they do not process minor benefits in person so I need to wait for someone to call me to take the application over the phone.

According to the letter in May, I only have 6 months to complete this process. I'm concerned that if they only try to call me every couple of months we won't connect (several staff I talked to on the phone implied that the phone work is subbed out to offices around the country and they may not have even tried to call me).

Any suggestions? Recourse? Past experience with something like this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I’d try calling my elected representative.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Good suggestion. Resolving constituency SS issues is one of their “bread and butter” activities.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
We did that with an issue with Veteran's Administration and it worked well. They (congresscritters) have staff who's specialty is knowing who to call to resolve stupid stuff like this - just answer the *^$% phone!

And to get around that "We'll call you next month" nonsense.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:02 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If your local office won't help you, go to the next county over.

When my wife tried to apply for disability, we went into an office with 100 people in line @ 90+ degrees, and the office was being ruled by a security guard. In 1/2 hour, not a new person was called up. We went to the next county over, and they processed the app. on the spot.

In our new county, we've been able to walk in (pre pandemic) without any problems for any issue needing addressed.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
If your local office won't help you, go to the next county over.

When my wife tried to apply for disability, we went into an office with 100 people in line @ 90+ degrees, and the office was being ruled by a security guard. In 1/2 hour, not a new person was called up. We went to the next county over, and they processed the app. on the spot.

In our new county, we've been able to walk in (pre pandemic) without any problems for any issue needing addressed.
Good idea - when I walked into the office here in Austin it was very similar to what you described - armed security guard keeping entire control over entry and the room, chairs filled with people who seemed to have been there most of the day just waiting.

For my own knowledge, will they try to send me back to the office in my zip code?
Old 07-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
I'll try that tomorrow. Actually, it looks like there is a contact form on Ted Cruz's website specifically for the purpose of opening a case to assist on matters like this.