Applying for SS Online Rather than in Person at Local SS Office.

DW applied online and had no problems. I don't get SS.

Are you a public employee by chance? I'm a retired public employee but never paid into SS so I'll get zero, even though I have a couple of SS quarters from my pre-public employment.

You have to lift your security freeze with Equifax to open a SS online account (no need to lift it with the other credit agencies). If you already have an online SS account you don't have to lift your credit freeze to apply for SS or Medicare.

Hey, that's even better

When you say a "social security account" does that mean a "my social security account". We have credit freezes and both myself and my wife have "my social security" accounts. My wife will be applying for social security in the next month. We would like her first payment to begin in 2021.

When you say a "social security account" does that mean a "my social security account". We have credit freezes and both myself and my wife have "my social security" accounts. My wife will be applying for social security in the next month. We would like her first payment to begin in 2021.

Yes, "my social security account" is what it is called. If your wife already has the "my social security account" set up then she should be able to apply online.

I applied for my Social Security benefit to start in March 2019. Everything in the application was clear and simple and it all processed just fine.

Until I got a call from them telling me that I had to appear in person at a local office with proof of my identity! They caller could not tell me why, he just said that my application was flagged for possible fraud.

I did a walk-in appointment and when I finally got my time with the representative I showed my proof of identity and he proceeded to finalize my application. I asked why it was flagged and he told me it was probably because I was sending my direct deposit to an online savings account. I don’t depend on my SS deposit for monthly expenses so I thought I’d like to get some interest on it!

So start with your deposit going to a brick and mortar CHECKING account and you can change that easily after your benefit starts.

Back
Top Bottom