Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A postscript on this: called SS today and the first appointment I can get by phone is December 14! I asked specifically about when the payments would be effective and he said when I did get the first installment it would cover December. My guess, though, is that I'll get it in 2017, when I have a darn good chance of it getting taxed since I'll be filing as a Single and have lots of taxable investment income. Nasty, but nothing I can do about it. I'm sure there are other widows whose biggest worry is not tax issues, but how to get by between the time when the husband's last SS payment was received and the time Widow's benefits are first deposited. I'm glad i have the former problem.

No questions about DH's previous marriages, thank heaven. I would have applied on-line if it hadn't been for all those intimidating blank spaces.

IIRC, you can file joint for the year... you just put all your income and the income of your DH up to the day he died..... any income for him afterwards is put on his estate income tax.....

Might need to look it up as I have not done this for 30 + years....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I know I can file joint for 2016; it's 2017 I'm worried about. I believe I have to file Single then, and that jacks up my tax liability. As for the estate, DH, bless him, had almost nothing to his name. We planned it that way. The cars were titled in his name and we moved those over to my name when we knew his illness was terminal.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My condolences on your loss. I know how hard it can be. Good luck on your new future and different life.

I filed for SS benefits on my late DW's account when I retired at 63. I will switch to my account at 70. That is the way I understand it works. If you find out differently, please let us know. My thinking was to file on her benefits as soon as possible because it would only be for a fairly short time so waiting for a larger amount would not make up the money foregone.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #64

Adding my condolences Athena. So very sorry and hope the next days, weeks and months are kind to you.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post

I filed for SS benefits on my late DW's account when I retired at 63. I will switch to my account at 70. That is the way I understand it works. If you find out differently, please let us know. My thinking was to file on her benefits as soon as possible because it would only be for a fairly short time so waiting for a larger amount would not make up the money foregone.
Thanks. That's what I expect but will post what I find out.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Done! Thanks for the nudge I needed to just get in the car and go over there. It was about a 10-minute wait to get to the "triage" window and then he told me it could be 30-45 minutes to get to someone who would process the application. I said I'd wait. Good thing I didn't go out for coffee. My name was called about 10 minutes later.

She ran the numbers on my Ex's records to see if I could get a higher benefit from him (divorced in 1997 after 13 years, he died in 2010) and she said it was close, but DH's was a little higher. Somehow I felt better- the Ex was a deadbeat, it did not end well, and DH and I were a match made in heaven.

The paperwork I have says specifically that I am not applying for benefits on my own record, that I'm letting them accrue and that if I want benefits on my own record I have to come back and file for those. Perfect. I'm getting $1,900 in Survivor benefits but will get $3,500 on my own record if I wait till age 70!

No questions about the second ex-wife since it was a short marriage and she's deceased. I provided what info I had about the first ex-wife and I think she was able to find her in the records but some of the details didn't sound right, Didn't affect my claim anyway- she said the marriage lasted less than 10 years and that may be true- DSS was 8 when they divorced.

I should get the first payment next month. Looking forward to it.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm more like that. I had a good cry today over all the kind comments from everyone I know on FaceBook, but a couple of days of wallowing in grief would drive me crazy. We're all different. I'm not opposed to getting professional help if I decide I need it but right now I'm functioning pretty well.

Sincerest condolences...

We all handle grief differently, but I'm with you, in that wallowing gets old fast. But there will be excess energy to burn, and sometimes that manifests in unexpected ways. As long as those ways aren't self-destructive, just go with the flow...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:56 AM   #68

Quote:
Somehow I felt better- the Ex was a deadbeat, it did not end well, and DH and I were a match made in heaven.
Ok, this brought a tear to my eye.

I'm glad it all went well with the SS application and you can expect a nice direct deposit every month. One less thing to worry about.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Done! Thanks for the nudge I needed to just get in the car and go over there. It was about a 10-minute wait to get to the "triage" window and then he told me it could be 30-45 minutes to get to someone who would process the application. I said I'd wait. Good thing I didn't go out for coffee. My name was called about 10 minutes later.

She ran the numbers on my Ex's records to see if I could get a higher benefit from him (divorced in 1997 after 13 years, he died in 2010) and she said it was close, but DH's was a little higher. Somehow I felt better- the Ex was a deadbeat, it did not end well, and DH and I were a match made in heaven.

The paperwork I have says specifically that I am not applying for benefits on my own record, that I'm letting them accrue and that if I want benefits on my own record I have to come back and file for those. Perfect. I'm getting $1,900 in Survivor benefits but will get $3,500 on my own record if I wait till age 70!

No questions about the second ex-wife since it was a short marriage and she's deceased. I provided what info I had about the first ex-wife and I think she was able to find her in the records but some of the details didn't sound right, Didn't affect my claim anyway- she said the marriage lasted less than 10 years and that may be true- DSS was 8 when they divorced.

Excellent, nice to have it spelled out in black and white instead of reading " the rules for this are complicated" I want to commend you for getting out and about and talking about this so soon after the loss of your DH, you show some real fortitude and determination which will be to your benefit in the long run. Take Care and be nice to yourself on Thanksgiving Day.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #70

Quote:

Sounds good! Just as an FYI - My Medicare number is the late DW's SS number with a "-D1" at the end of it. I doubt if it will change when I move to my own SS account at 70.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Great news! Thanks for updating us. I'm glad working through these issues is helping your grief/recovery process.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:28 PM   #72

I am so sorry for your loss. Be good to yourself.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

OK, I'm back with another question- getting mixed opinions from a personal finance board I'm on and I figure this group has more first-hand experience with SS.

The good news: I just got a very large deposit from SS zapped into my bank account. The puzzle: it works out to be a November payment of $1,895 plus a December payment of $1,901, plus the Death benefit. DH died on November 15. His payment date was the second Wednesday of the month so he did receive a payment in November before he died. This means that I/we got 13 months of payments- 11 for DH plus 2 months of Survivor Benefits for me. I'd thought that SS was paid in arrears so DH's November deposit was for October- but then why did I get two payments? Will SS try to claw back one of them? I'm hoping to use it to help pay the boatload of taxes I'm going to owe for 2016 thanks to stellar investment results.

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad they got your payments started, as to all the other questions, it is what SS says it until they change their minds. I think you are saying that you don't know if you should spend the money until you are certain they won't ask for it back.

You will get 1099's for each of you correct,I'd look them over and just wait to see if anything else happens, they have all dates so I'd just assume they did it correctly and try not to worry about it in the meantime. Does any one know what SS does as far as clawback if they paid you too much money?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

When my MIL died 10 years ago we faced this. It depends on the date they died and the date the check was issued. They have a cut off date where it determines whether you get to keep it or not. It has been so long I can't remember the exact details. So for example if the check is paid on the 1st and you die on the 4th you pay it back. After a certain date in the month you get to keep it.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Does any one know what SS does as far as clawback if they paid you too much money?
AFAIK, when it's automatically deposited in your bank account (as appears to be the case here), it's automatically taken back out when they get their act together.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

My Mom died this summer and was receiving SS, so I am familiar with how it works regarding date of death and the one time death benefit. I don't know how survivor benefits work so I can't help you with that.

You're entitled to a SS payment if you live the entire month. Partial months do not count. So in athena53's case, she would be entitled to an SS payment for October but not November.

Payments are made one month in arrears, so the payment received in November is for October, and you get to keep that deposit and all of the deposits before that one. You are not entitled to any payments after that one. If SS paid you anything that you are not entitled to, they will claw it back. This did not happen in my Mom's case, so I don't know how it works exactly, but I believe if they do autodeposit via ACH (probably the most common situation), they will autowithdraw via ACH. Woe to you if the funds are not there for them to claw back.

My understanding is that the day of the month in which you receive the payment is irrelevant with respect to death. You received your November payment on whatever date you received it because that was the day your husband was assigned - probably based on his SSN or something. Regardless of what day you received it in November, it was your November payment for him living through the entire month of October.

My understanding is that you have to live the whole month in order to qualify for benefits for that month. So it wouldn't have mattered if your husband had died on November 2, November 15, or November 28, before or after receiving his November check. He would still not be entitled to that month's benefits and should not have received / is not entitled to a check in December.

You'll also receive a $255 death benefit. In my Mom's case, she died on June 6 and the $255 was deposited I believe on July 31. So I would expect you to receive your $255 payment on or about 12/31. IIRC this was a separate payment deposited on the same day.

I do not know why SS paid you a larger second amount ($1901). My only guess is that the second payment included his inflation adjustment, but I would expect that to happen in January, not December.

From what you've described, it sounds to me that they will eventually try to claw back the $1901. You should leave that money in that account so they can claw it back. I would also contact your local SS office and have them review it so that you can settle the situation sooner rather than later.

My condolences on your loss.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

What do you mean woe to you if you don't have the funds? How can you be expected to know when and where they will correct their mistake if indeed they made a mistake. What can they do besides simply withholding your next month payment?

So in the last 3 posts, it is, it depends on the day of the month you died and it doesn't matter what day of the month you die. One of you has the wrong answer. This is why I advised don't worry about now and just see what happens.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #79

Social Security benefits are paid on the second, third or fourth wednesday of the month depending on the day of the month you were born a link for 2016 with at the bottom a description of how the date is picked born on the 1st thru tenth, second, 11 thru 20 third, 31 thru 31 fourth wednesday of the month. https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031.pdf if starting benefits after may 1997.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:10 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty sure the payment received in November for the month of October is valid and won't be clawed back. I'm just surprised at the 2 months of Survivor benefits paid a few days ago when I was expecting one. Maybe Survivor benefits are paid in advance. All I can do at this point is wait and see if anything gets zapped back out of my account to correct a mistake.