Applying for SS Widow Benefits

athena53

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DH died this morning- a relief after his life and activities becoming more and more limited since it was determined that his acute myeloid leukemia wasn't responding to treatment in late August. Thanks to hospice, he died peacefully at home in a cloud of Lorazepam, Haldol and morphine, which was what we both wanted.

So-o-o- I cope in times like this by doing organized, analytical things I can control. I got on the SS site and found I need to give back his last payment, received last week. Oops. Then I looked at the list of info they need and panicked a bit.

Background: DH was 78, started collecting at 65. I’m 63, retired, planning to wait till age 70 to collect on my own record, which will exceed the Widow’s benefit. DH was married twice before. Wife #1 is likely collecting SS- don’t know if it’s on her own or DH’s record (married well over 10 years). Wife #2 is deceased. I was married once before- the Ex started collecting on his own record at age 62 and died in 2010.
I can get hold of DH’s birth certificate, his death certificate, our marriage certificate, etc. It appears they have a lot of Qs about the previous marriages I can’t answer. Wife #1 was not on good terms with DH although I’m on very good terms with their son so I may be able to get elementary info like her date of birth off the top of his head. Not likely I can get other stuff they mention like date of divorce. I’m even less likely to get that info on Wife #2. I know her first name. That’s it. She was a dear friend of a mutual friend of DH and me, whom I just called today- but not sure what the mutual friend would know.
So, am I going to need all those gory details? And I assume widow’s benefits start as of 11/1 so that what I have to give back is offset somewhat. I can’t do anything till I get the death certificate and then I’ll fly into action. Cash flow is not an issue, but I’d appreciate any insight people c

My sincere condolences, athena53. Although this was expected, bereavement is always a shock. I understand your need to organize as this is exactly how I handle similar situations. I can't help you with the details. Just know that it will all get sorted eventually. It doesn't have to be completed today. For now, lean on all of your close friends and family and give yourself permission to grieve.

Note that social security acutally pays in arrears i.e. the payment you recieved in Nov was actually for Oct. It worked this way when I started in last year ask for a may start got first payment in June. So I suspect (check with SS to be sure I did find a brochure on the web that stated this here is a link to another place that discusses this Social Security Benefits Are not Paid for the Month of Death: A Fact Sheet So there would be no payment in Dec for Nov, because he died in Novbut the payment you have/will recieve will be for Oct. So if I read the link correctly you don't have anything to pay back, unless you get a dec payment.

So sorry for your loss. Please allow yourself some time to grieve. I agree with Meadbh, the details can wait and will work out. Please take care.

My condolences. Was going to write basically what Meadbh did but he stated it better. Take care of yourself too in this process.

My condolences. As a widower, I went on line and found a number of grief support chatrooms. Take you time to sort things out.

Call the SS office and when they offer a "call back" sign up for that, don't wait on hold forever. They are really good and can do a lot of searching for you and let you know the status of whatever.

Yeah, take it easy and go with the flow.

I am so sorry for your loss. I understand your need to dig into objective 'get stuff done' mode... I handle high stress situations that way, also.

I don't have answers for you on the specifics but marriage and divorce information is usually pubic record... so you might be able to find that information from the counties where they were married and divorced.

I don't have answers for you on the specifics but marriage and divorce information is usually pubic record... so you might be able to find that information from the counties where they were married and divorced.

Thanks-that might be dicey for DH's second marriage; she obtained a quickie divorce in the Dominican Republic which was recognized in Massachusetts, where she'd moved, but DH thinks it may not have been legal in NJ where he was still living. Don't tell anyone. ;-)

Like others, sorry for your loss... I think it is easier when you know it is time... my sister lost her husband with no notice... it was a big shock and took a year of grief counseling... he has been gone for 9 years, but she still talks to him...

I did not help her with getting widow benefits... she went to the office and they took care of everything... she asked about benefits based on her first husband, but they said he needed to pass before she could get anything....

I would recommend getting on the phone or if there is an office close just go in... sis said they were always very helpful....

I am sorry for your loss.

When my mom died, social security retrieved the most recent direct deposit right back out of my parents' bank account.

Also, I'm sure you know there is a one time $255 payment to the surviving spouse.

Thanks- it's good to know last week's payment won't have to be returned. I'll keep DH's bank account open long enough for them to deposit and retract it if necessary. I have login info. We have an SS office nearby; I'll need to get the death certificate first. DH always found the office in KS, where we lived until the middle of last year, very helpful.

I am sorry for your loss.

When my mom died, social security retrieved the most recent direct deposit right back out of my parents' bank account.

Also, I'm sure you know there is a one time $255 payment to the surviving spouse.
How did the date of death compare to the end of the month. The articles discuss how someone dieing late in the month could have this situation, but not early in the month. I.E. someone dies in late oct and still gets the payment for nov, thus due back. In the case here the 14 is still early enough that if the funeral director notifies SS soon enough there will be no payment made in Dec.

My suggestion is that when you go to the SS office you just present your marriage certificate and his death certificate. Tell them that you really don't know the details of his previous marriage(s). Let them come back to you if they find an issue.

Thanks- it's good to know last week's payment won't have to be returned. I'll keep DH's bank account open long enough for them to deposit and retract it if necessary. I have login info. We have an SS office nearby; I'll need to get the death certificate first. DH always found the office in KS, where we lived until the middle of last year, very helpful.
technically unless your name is actually on the account it is illegal to log to that account. It really needs to wait until the estate is opened if one is going to be opened did he leave a will or is his estate so small that no will was needed/ estate need be opened. You need to check to find out if an estate needs to be opened due to real estate. One thing you might do if you don't already know is figure out how much he was worth (which differs between community property and non community property states also)
The estate can't be opened before a death certificate is issued but if it looks like one might be needed you could start looking for a lawyer.

When my Mom passed away, I just walked into the nearest SS office and told them that she died and gave them her name, DOB, and SSN. The death certificate was never needed for that purpose. The funeral home also usually notifies the SS office, but SS doesn't mind getting two notifications.

meierlde is correct. You are entitled to the deposit last week because your DH lived for all of October. You are not entitled to next month's payment. If you get in touch with them in the next few days they will be able to turn off the deposit and it shouldn't be a problem. If for some weird reason they do pay you in December, don't worry about it, just leave the account open and they'll take it back out.

They'll also deposit the $255 into that same account. I don't remember how long it takes, but I think it was only about a month and a half or so for them to finalize my Mom's last payment. So for example my Mom died June 6th, and I think her final payment was July 31st or thereabouts. Note that the final payment is around the end of the month, not on the normal payment day.

I agree with Brat - previous marriages don't affect whether you can claim spousal benefits on DH's record. All you need to do is prove that you were married to him when he died and that you're over 62 I think.

I'm not a fan of government, but I will say that the SSA really does an admirable job and they do try to be helpful. I'm sure you can get your benefits set up with a minimum of fuss.

And finally, my sincere condolences to you.

Athena, You have had a terrible year . I am so sorry ! I collected widow benefits .I went to SS and the questions were pretty basic . Mostly about my former marriage and his marriage. I did not need to have real data just whatever I knew.I did need our SS numbers .

Last edited:
When my Mom passed away, I just walked into the nearest SS office and told them that she died and gave them her name, DOB, and SSN. The death certificate was never needed for that purpose. The funeral home also usually notifies the SS office, but SS doesn't mind getting two notifications.

meierlde is correct. You are entitled to the deposit last week because your DH lived for all of October. You are not entitled to next month's payment. If you get in touch with them in the next few days they will be able to turn off the deposit and it shouldn't be a problem. If for some weird reason they do pay you in December, don't worry about it, just leave the account open and they'll take it back out.

They'll also deposit the $255 into that same account. I don't remember how long it takes, but I think it was only about a month and a half or so for them to finalize my Mom's last payment. So for example my Mom died June 6th, and I think her final payment was July 31st or thereabouts. Note that the final payment is around the end of the month, not on the normal payment day.

I agree with Brat - previous marriages don't affect whether you can claim spousal benefits on DH's record. All you need to do is prove that you were married to him when he died and that you're over 62 I think.

I'm not a fan of government, but I will say that the SSA really does an admirable job and they do try to be helpful. I'm sure you can get your benefits set up with a minimum of fuss.

And finally, my sincere condolences to you.
Do check with the Funeral Director to see if they automatically do the notification of SS (they did when both my parents died all be it was the same funeral home). One other thing to do is if he had any credit cards in his name only to cancel them.
https://www.ssa.gov/survivors/
"Note: In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security. If you want them to do that, you will need to give the deceased’s Social Security Number to the funeral director so they can make the report."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom