Join Early Retirement Today

APR vs. Interest Rate
Old 02-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

APR vs. Interest Rate

Hi--
This may be a dumb question, so be gentle. I recently went to the PenFed website to look at mortgage rates. They show a 5 year arm (fixed for 5 years) with an interest rate of 5.5% w/ an APR of 4.507%. I always thought that the APR was supposed to include not only interest, but other fees to give you a true idea of the real interest rate or cost on the loan. If I am right, how can the APR be lower than the interest rate listed? Am I missing something?
Thanks!
stephenandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's some detail
What is an Annual Percentage Rate (APR)?

Key point
"alculating APRs on adjustable and balloon loans is even more complex because future rates are unknown. The result is even more confusion about how lenders calculate APRs."

So, APR calculations takes into account some assumption of future interest rates in the case of ARMs.So, I guess yours takes into account that the interest rate may fall below 5.5% in the future.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenandrew View Post
Hi--
This may be a dumb question, so be gentle. I recently went to the PenFed website to look at mortgage rates. They show a 5 year arm (fixed for 5 years) with an interest rate of 5.5% w/ an APR of 4.507%. I always thought that the APR was supposed to include not only interest, but other fees to give you a true idea of the real interest rate or cost on the loan. If I am right, how can the APR be lower than the interest rate listed? Am I missing something?
Thanks!
I've noticed this also and I think, but not sure this occurs when lender pays closing costs, so you are technically borrowing the principal amount plus the closing fees, but since you are making payments on only the principal amount, the apr is lower than the interest rate on the loan. Usually the closing costs are waived after you have kept the loan current for a yr or 2.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:59 AM   #4

At PENFED they generally waive closing costs (i.e., you do not pay them) IF you maintain the loan for at least 2 years (i.e., do not pay it off within 2 years of taking it out).
Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
At PENFED they generally waive closing costs (i.e., you do not pay them) IF you maintain the loan for at least 2 years (i.e., do not pay it off within 2 years of taking it out).

But if you don't pay closing costs, wouldn't the interest rate on the loan = the APR?
stephenandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

APR on ARMs is effectively useless. Its a long cmplicated formula that makes assumtions about what rates will be when the loan resets. Just pay attention to the rate and what the terms are at the reset date. Assuming you want a 5 year ARM, I think the pen fed 5/5 deal is very good.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #7

But you MAY pay the closing cost - but then the APR would be higher. You can tell I have no idea why it is stated like it is (BTSOOM). I like Brewer's explanation.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
APR on ARMs is effectively useless. Its a long cmplicated formula that makes assumtions about what rates will be when the loan resets. Just pay attention to the rate and what the terms are at the reset date. Assuming you want a 5 year ARM, I think the pen fed 5/5 deal is very good.

Not me ... I don't care for ARMs (well aside from the 2 attached to my body).
We just did signed a 15 year refi loan @ 4.625% and paid the $2k closing costs up-front.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenandrew View Post
But if you don't pay closing costs, wouldn't the interest rate on the loan = the APR?
This is getting hijacked, but yes APR would =interest rate if you don't pay them except I believe they may be REQUIRED to include the closing costs in the APR calculation. When they are waived, they usually have a chargeback provision as mentioned by R Wood.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to nonrecourseloans
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself View Post
Not me ... I don't care for ARMs (well aside from the 2 attached to my body).
We just did signed a 15 year refi loan @ 4.625% and paid the $2k closing costs up-front.

For Feb 2008 that's an almost impossibly low rate/closing costs. Would you mind sending me a PM and letting me know where you got it and what your loan amount and LTV is? I'd like to shop that lender myself! If not that's cool - I understand. Great rate and costs though - that's definitely a PAR rate and with $2k in fees unless it was a $50,000 loan you did very well.

As far as PenFed I think the way they present this is a little beneath what I would expect of them to use that type of "allegedly" misleading advertising. I wonder if the FTC is looking at them as closely as they are the "no-brainer, racket and ripoff no-closing costs I'm the only broker who will treat you right the rest are scum" little bald-headed twerp from Texas?
nonrecourseloans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonrecourseloans View Post
For Feb 2008 that's an almost impossibly low rate/closing costs. Would you mind sending me a PM and letting me know where you got it and what your loan amount and LTV is? I'd like to shop that lender myself! If not that's cool - I understand. Great rate and costs though - that's definitely a PAR rate and with $2k in fees unless it was a $50,000 loan you did very well.

As far as PenFed I think the way they present this is a little beneath what I would expect of them to use that type of "allegedly" misleading advertising. I wonder if the FTC is looking at them as closely as they are the "no-brainer, racket and ripoff no-closing costs I'm the only broker who will treat you right the rest are scum" little bald-headed twerp from Texas?
I'm not myself (I mean I am myself, but I'm not myself), but I believe we both got the same deal. It was at PenFed on January 23, 2008 for any conforming 15 year fixed @ LTV 80% or under. The rate was only low that one day; it jumped about 0.5% the next day and has never gotten that low again. My refi cost me $788.40 on a loan of $176K.

2Cor521

ETA: As for your second paragraph, I don't know the answer but I suspect that the fact that PenFed actually pays for a lot of the closing costs that are included in the APY calculation means that APY can be lower than APR. On my closing statement I was charged all the closing costs but there were compensating credits for the vast majority of them.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonrecourseloans View Post

Like 2ndCor521 mentioned. We locked probably the same day. Although the rates with our lender (a mortgage broker) went up by about 0.5% that same day. Our broker was "Mortgage Funding Solutions", but I think they may only handle the NorthEast area (possibly only NJ, PA, DE, NY).
Our loan was for $242k on a conforming, full doc loan.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself View Post
Like 2ndCor521 mentioned. We locked probably the same day. Although the rates with our lender (a mortgage broker) went up by about 0.5% that same day. Our broker was "Mortgage Funding Solutions", but I think they may only handle the NorthEast area (possibly only NJ, PA, DE, NY).
Our loan was for $242k on a conforming, full doc loan.
2Cor521 mentioned PenFed....did you get the same rate somewhere else?
I don't see anything 'allegedly misleading' with thier advertising.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 PM   #14

While a lower APR than interest rate is possible it's highly unlikely. In essence the lender would have to be giving the borrower money that is not a part of the loan to go towards the repayment of the loan. Not many lenders are going to stay in business very long paying the borrower enough outside of the proceeds of the loan to reduce the APR to a point below the interest rate. If they do it too long they'll need to get a bigger truck. On a $240,000 loan the lender would have to give the borrower about $67,000 over the life of the loan to reduce the APR from 5.5% to 4.25% - there again as it has already been written trying to use APR's on a 5/5 mortgage is about like trying to predict where a mosquito is going to bite you this 4th of July.

Still, the deal you guys got is a very good mortgage ... at least from where I'm sitting. I have contacted PenFed with the question "How are you doing a 4.25% APR on a 5.5% rate?" The 5.5% is very common and any broker/lender can offer that - it's the APR I find possibly misleading. I have not yet heard back from them.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #15

I should ad that without knowing their index and margin it would be impossible to conclude the weight of truth in their advertising. Still I have never been a fan of index + margin calculation on ARM loans - I do find it deceiving unless the borrower truly maintains the loan for the full amortization period which is highly unlikely. Thus the true APR would be calculated from the start rate and not the index and margin and would be (with a true no-closing costs loan) 5.5% APR on a 5.5% start rate.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:03 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
2Cor521 mentioned PenFed....did you get the same rate somewhere else?
I don't see anything 'allegedly misleading' with thier advertising.
Jazz,
We did get it somewhere else. Through a broker named "Mortgage Funding Solutions". Our loan was immediately sold off to AmTrust Bank. Who ironically when we called around that same day didn't give us the same rate quoted over the phone.