Join Early Retirement Today

Are nursing home expenses deductible?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are nursing home expenses deductible?

I was wondering in relation to late life expenses are nursing home and or assisted living expenses deductible for tax purposes as medical expenses? If so, that could put RMD's under a whole new perspective.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Check IRS Publication 502 for what qualifies as a deductible medical expense.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #3

Note that in general one has to exceed 7.5% of income so that RMDs will raise the minimum spent before the deduction kicks in.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that in general one has to exceed 7.5% of income so that RMDs will raise the minimum spent before the deduction kicks in.
and after 2012, that floor is raised to 10% Tax Topics - Topic 502 Medical and Dental Expenses
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Administrator

If you are in a nursing home or assisted living for medical reasons most of the payment is deductible. The facility itself determines exactly how much.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Because we're self-insuring for LTC, I did some research on this question and agree with MichaelB's answer above. Having NH costs be substantially deductible will be a big help if the need arises.

Your specific needs in the NH will determine the percentage of total costs that are deductible. For rough and tough planning purposes, I'm using 75% as a guesstimate.

I'm still looking into this.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I can't imagine a nursing home resident who isn't there for medical reasons. The only expenses that possibly wouldn't be deductible would be laundry and salon/barber. It isn't difficult for that cost to substantially exceed 10% of income and in Oregon, because medical expenses for seniors are deductible in their entirety, there is no floor.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I can't imagine a nursing home resident who isn't there for medical reasons. The only expenses that possibly wouldn't be deductible would be laundry and salon/barber. It isn't difficult for that cost to substantially exceed 10% of income and in Oregon, because medical expenses for seniors are deductible in their entirety, there is no floor.
Assisted living was also included in the OP and in a community or facility with multiple options (independent, assisted, etc) it may be that nothing is deductible. The key driver is the need to be there, any IRS challenge is after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Your specific needs in the NH will determine the percentage of total costs that are deductible. For rough and tough planning purposes, I'm using 75% as a guesstimate.

I'm still looking into this.
My guess is 75% is low, but it would be a safe planning number. When my aunt went from independent living to assisted living her deductions went from below the 7% floor to greater than her IRA withdrawals and offset her entire taxable income.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #9

Thank you all for very valuable information. I had read IRS pub 502 but it's hard to know before hand just how things are sliced by the IRS. That 75% rule is valuable as is knowing that Oregon is more lenient. I'm trying to decide whether to keep our LTC policy with CALPers since the premiums keep going up substantially and I recently learned that they no longer accept new members so the premiums are now surely going to go thru the roof. A guideline of 75% as allowable with nursing home/ assisted living costs being what they are in all probability means that in case we need such care in all likelihood our RMD's would not be taxable. This would make a big difference.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

My guess is 75% is low
That could certainly be the case, but better to err on the low side. Additionally, I'm including in the cost of LTC the entire incremental cost DW would incur if I was incarcerated a NH resident. In addition to direct payments to the facility for medically required care, DW would likely incur additional expenses related to my absence from the household which would not be deductible.
Quote:
When my aunt went from independent living to assisted living her deductions went from below the 7% floor to greater than her IRA withdrawals and offset her entire taxable income.
Of course, depending on the absolute numbers, even a deductible percentage lower than 75% could have resulted in the deduction being greater than your aunt's entire taxable income.

But, the bottom line is that deductibility will likely play a significant role in DW and I being able to self-insure, especially if LTC needs occur after RMD's begin.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
A guideline of 75% as allowable with nursing home/ assisted living costs being what they are in all probability means that in case we need such care in all likelihood our RMD's would not be taxable. This would make a big difference.
If it helps, the proceeds of a long-term care insurance policy are generally not taxable unless the check exceeds the expenses.

Of course then you wouldn't have any expenses, so you wouldn't have any deduction.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote