Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Are "online only" bank deposits "safe"?
Old 03-13-2023, 01:59 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are "online only" bank deposits "safe"?

So, 2023 is going to be a very big year for us and we need to be cash rich (even if other asset poor) for a few particular reasons. Last year, seeing how little Wells Fargo was paying me in interest, I moved the vast majority of my cash to two different online banks. I'm now concerned about the state of one of these banks given that 3 banks have failed in 4 days (2 shut down, 1 voluntarily shuttering).

Should I move money back into Wells Fargo? I understand that no bank is truly 100% risk free, but given this is all we have as "cash" (even if under FDIC limits), I do worry in particular about these "online banks".

Please advice. Thank you.
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2023, 02:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You verified they are FDIC and are under the limit, then I wouldn't worry about it.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:45 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:02 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

FDIC as last 2 posters indicated is key

Diversity in more than 1 institution is probably good for online banks. Risk related to internet, servers, random ware, etc could be mitigated by more than 1

We had issue with a local B&M bank - that had some issue that shut down everything for a couple days. Never explained what it was. City had issue as well that was outed by newspaper as ransom ware attack. I had $ at different places, so no biggie.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:47 AM   #5

Depends on which banks and how long you can wait for your funds. Some of the charts posted as part of the SVB collapse shows Ally is 4x worse in some of the asset categories. While deposits there are FDIC insured, I'd move $ that are needed very short term as I can't wait for an FDIC resolution. (they will have all of my possessions on their truck and won't unload unless they are paid). So it depends on how quick you need access and if you can wait for the FDIC to sort things out if your online banks go offline.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:54 AM   #6

Unless you have cash over $250k in a non-FDIC insured bank, you have nothing to worry about.
Moving your cash now would be adding to the overall problem, the stampede away from small/online will be exacerbated by folks moving for no benefit, and send larger ripples throughout the economy. Consumer confidence is key to everything.

Of course, if you wanted to keep 90-days of expenses in a super-low-risk big bank and earn almost nothing, that might give you more peace of mind.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - I'm surprised you were at Wells Fargo, and consider going back to them.
I feel from your posts that you are VERY concerned about getting ripped off, etc. Wells Fargo is famous for that and got in trouble for doing it.

I would trust Chase a lot more that Wells Fargo, and I've avoided Wells Fargo due to their past practices.

We have money at ALLY , it's one of the banks under pressure, but our money is below the $250K FDIC limit so no worries.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Depends on which banks and how long you can wait for your funds. Some of the charts posted as part of the SVB collapse shows Ally is 4x worse in some of the asset categories. While deposits there are FDIC insured, I'd move $ that are needed very short term as I can't wait for an FDIC resolution. (they will have all of my possessions on their truck and won't unload unless they are paid). So it depends on how quick you need access and if you can wait for the FDIC to sort things out if your online banks go offline.
And Ally shares some of your concern, thus:

Quote:
Ally Hikes No Penalty CD To Rate-Leading Status Amid U.S. Banking Crisis
https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/ally-bank/offers/
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I feel from your posts that you are VERY concerned about getting ripped off, etc. Wells Fargo is famous for that and got in trouble for doing it.

I would trust Chase a lot more that Wells Fargo, and I've avoided Wells Fargo due to their past practices.

We have money at ALLY , it's one of the banks under pressure, but our money is below the $250K FDIC limit so no worries.
+1, Wells Fargo.
Our family had a very negative dealing with WF awhile back. We vowed then to NEVER deal with them again. There are many other "to big to fail" banks out there to choose from.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

While I am concerned about getting ripped off, that is because my history with finances has been "checkered" to say the least. I was naive... nay, I was an IDIOT and I was so badly burned with scams not once or twice but FOUR times that I've turned paranoid. I can forgive myself for my past mistakes, but I am determined to never put myself or my innocent family through that again. EVER.

I get anxiety reading about 3 banks going down in 4 days. I have my main a/c with Wells Fargo and a much smaller one with Chase, but I moved most of my funds (needed later this year) into this online bank (FDIC insured and NOT Ally) because I love their interest rates and another also online bank (also FDIC insured and NOT Ally) due to "sentiment" (long and irrelavant story there). However, I am no longer so comfortable because as I said, I have been burned multiple times before. I am not calling this bank a scam or that they'll rip me off or anything, I just prefer getting NO interest so long as my principle (which we will need soon - in a matter of months) is safe. Maybe I'll move it to Chase, instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
+1, Wells Fargo.
Our family had a very negative dealing with WF awhile back. We vowed then to NEVER deal with them again. There are many other "to big to fail" banks out there to choose from.
Which ones? Looking for recommendations! Thanks.
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Discover Bank online only offers 3.50% APY. Vanguard Cash Account Plus online only (currently invitation only but should open to all soon) offers 4.1% APY. Cash access easier with Discover. Both FDIC insured up to the standard $250k. If I had to choose, I trust Vanguard more. But with that account there is no debit card, checks or quick (today) access to cash; rather, you must have another bank to where you can transfer cash and then have access to it the next day. For a thorough list of online-only banks and their deposit rates check Nerd Wallet @ https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/bank...t-online-banks.
threeonesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I've had accounts at Ally, Chase, and Discover for years and years. Nothing but positive experiences to report. I'm aware of Ally's potential problems that are being talked about now, but I've made sure to stay under the FDIC limits, so I'm not particularly worried about that. Personally, I've had many more issues (mostly customer service) with the Big Banks (BoA, Citi, WF) over the years, and try to avoid them like the plague. If I ever decided to go back to a B&M bank, I'd probably choose a credit union.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Trust, but verify.

Lots of research.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:23 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had accounts with Washington Mutual when it collapsed in 2008. As far as accessing my money via ATM or ACH (in or out) there was no wait for any type of FDIC resolution. The transfer of everything to Chase was seamless.

I still have a bunch of Washington Mutual Checks, which I still use on the rare occasion that I need a check; Chase didn't even change the routing numbers.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 06:24 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
+1, Wells Fargo.
I use wells fargo for 1 thing and thats credit card just for the points I get from them. And if looking for a good online bank that is FDIC insured check out Bask Bank right now paying out a whopping 4.26% and I've been with them for a year and very quick on transfers
Old 03-13-2023, 08:30 PM   #16

I got an email today from Wealthfront that assures members that they have no deposits with Silicon Valley Bank or Signature Bank. They also provided a link to a list of the banks they do business with. Wealthfront spreads each member's deposits out over up to eight different banks so you have up to $2M FDIC insurance. They're currently paying 4.05% APY.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
I had accounts with Washington Mutual when it collapsed in 2008. As far as accessing my money via ATM or ACH (in or out) there was no wait for any type of FDIC resolution. The transfer of everything to Chase was seamless.

Washington Mutual was the 2nd bank I was at that failed. Both times it was quick to my money, even included interest !

I always found it a weird bank, with circular stands around instead of a counter.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:48 PM   #18

I find online banks very safe, as long as your deposits are kept within the FDIC limits. Over the years, I’ve kept online savings accounts at Discover Bank, Ally, Capital One, and CIBC. I’ve recently closed all of them because their interest rates were no longer competitive with what many money markets are offering today. I found Ally took the longest to transfer funds by ACH to my linked bank account—8 days.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 05:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post

I still have a bunch of Washington Mutual Checks, which I still use on the rare occasion that I need a check; Chase didn't even change the routing numbers.
I had a mortgage with them and it was equally seamless. The letterhead on the bill changed to Chase.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
I find online banks very safe, as long as your deposits are kept within the FDIC limits. Over the years, I’ve kept online savings accounts at Discover Bank, Ally, Capital One, and CIBC. I’ve recently closed all of them because their interest rates were no longer competitive with what many money markets are offering today. I found Ally took the longest to transfer funds by ACH to my linked bank account—8 days.
I just transferred some funds from Ally to Synovus to get my account under the FDIC limits. It took less than 48 hours.