Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Are root canals worth the dental insurance?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I probably should not say what I do in the service, BUT the fosamax thing is real. You have a 3 year window to get your dental work up to date. If you have an infection or need an extraction after that 3 year window, you run the risk of osteonecrosis (bone rot) that does not seem to be responding to conventional treatments. Beware!!! True, the first and worst cases were associated with cancer treatment and multiple myeloma treatment using IV bisphophonates, but now there are cases of oral meds such as fosamax.

As for the root canal dilema, it is now almost a wash between a root canal / crown and implant / crown. Best bet would be the implant route. Implants do fail, but not as often as root canals (10% failure rate). Root canal treated teeth are more "brittle" making them more difficult to remove, explains the 90 minutes of torture Sundance Kid endured.

Is dental insurance worth it? Usually only if your employer is paying. You can usually negotiate a cash, up front, rate. I do not carry dental insurance for my family and pay out of pocket for their treatment at a private dentist.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords--my vote is yes on dental insurance.

I had my last military dental exam in May of last year. Now just over a year later, I have 6 cavities, need two extractions (wisdom teeth--they needed root canals, but extractions are cheaper) and need a crown. Its hard to believe my teeth deteriorated that much in a year...I think I got blown off for my last freebie dental visit. I found out the crown alone is worth having insurance. Also, my hubs had an abscess too that erupted over 24 hours--he was really sick. You just never know about your teeth!