Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes they can make sense for a tax shelter but has some of the others have said understand the fees. Often times the income riders don't really add as much as value as it sounds. For example if they say there's a 6 or 7% guarantee the true IRR is often much less. I personally prefer an Fixed Indexed Annuity with 60% participation in the S&P500 with no cap,no fees, historical average is around 6-7% real return with no principal risk so I use that for a high quality fixed income replacement. A rated bonds are yielding 1% or so I see it as a good replacement, hope that helps!

Soccerman1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerman1bmw View Post
Yes they can make sense for a tax shelter but has some of the others have said understand the fees. Often times the income riders don't really add as much as value as it sounds. For example if they say there's a 6 or 7% guarantee the true IRR is often much less. I personally prefer an Fixed Indexed Annuity with 60% participation in the S&P500 with no cap,no fees, historical average is around 6-7% real return with no principal risk so I use that for a high quality fixed income replacement. A rated bonds are yielding 1% or so I see it as a good replacement, hope that helps!
Wow, hawking two of my least favorite products in one post and it is your first.

Spam alert!

"See their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other.
See, I'm not a monster... I'm just ahead of the curve."

- The Joker
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I personally prefer an Fixed Indexed Annuity with 60% participation in the S&P500 with no cap,no fees, historical average is around 6-7% real return with no principal risk so I use that for a high quality fixed income replacement. A rated bonds are yielding 1% or so I see it as a good replacement, hope that helps!
^ Looks like a live one!

You may not know it but I'm quite famous

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, we needed some excitement for the start of the holiday weekend. It was getting pretty boring around here.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #25

I got screwed on variable annuity's from my last advisor on those income riders, so just trying to help. What's a live one mean?
Old 05-22-2020, 04:28 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What's a live one mean?
It is a reference to a mouse.

From "The History of Early-Retirement.org":

Quote:
... a protracted forum discussion of annuities often brings a flurry of new registrations from insurance professionals eager to extol the virtues of their particular version of that product, complete with less than subtle hints to send a PM for more information. The reception these new members receive from board members is reminiscent of watching cats entertain themselves with a captured mouse.

You may not know it but I'm quite famous

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This NY Times article casts some doubts on the value of TIAA variable annuities:

If You Bought In to TIAA Based on Reputation, Check Your Accounts
I've never heard anything but 'cons, not pros, about VAs OP.~
Additionally I'd consider this link belows information backing up REWahoos insights.

snip'
"TIAA has put a limited, short-term expense waiver in place to help prevent the CREF Money Market Account from having negative yields"

https://www.tiaa.org/public/land/mon...id=et_18841162
Old 05-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #28

Nationwide has the lowest cost variable annuity. I think it's only 200 per year flat fee..

Thanks for calling me a mouse but I thought I brought up a point that nobody in the conversation had yet disccussed. It was in reference to the income riders scam which relevant because most variable annuities people buy they purchased with and because of thinking there really earning 6% guaranteed.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

There was a boggle head that had purchased in the early days of variable annuities and GLWB etc.. and stated that it worked out extremely well for them, but insurance companies continue to tighten down all these products to where it is hard to recommend some of them for anyone.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
6-7% historic average....that must have been when Jimmy Carter was President....

With new policies FIAs average 0-3%, maybe 4-5% if extremely lucky over a 10 year period.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #31

Take a look at the s&p500 index over the last 100 years without dividends then calculate 60% of the positive years and 0% during negative years.