Are we in for another roller coaster ride?

Sevo

Recycles dryer sheets
Well I made it through the crash . I think I'm about where I was a year ago. Any way in dollar numbers it seems about the same although the decrease in the dollar value may explain some of the increase.

For some reason I didn't get too emotionally involved while I lost about 35-50%. Basically waited it out,but Mr Market has had a hell of a run and Fundamentally I don't see much reason for things to have improved that much . The last couple of days have the hair standing up on the back of my neck for some reason......:whistle: I just don't want to ride another 2 g down hill plunge.

Right now I'm about 30% intermediate bonds/ 10% gold and gold stocks/20% Stocks,mostly large caps-international and some small caps/ 30% real estate , small amount timber land, small amount recreational pasture and the rest in a private reit that specializes in manufacturing facilities. Of course the Reit and other real estate is very hard to value at this stage ?

Any body got any suggestions other than maybe Valium patience and hope, not necessarily in that order.

If this is your retirement pot, stop reading the newspapers and stop watching the news. "Don't just do something, stand there."

I am serious.

I have not backed out of stocks, and my IRA is up about 40% since Feb, even after I had to take money out (out of work). If you like your asset allocation, stick with it or rebalance to what is was a year ago or so.

You haven't lost anything until you sell it.

Are we in for another roller coaster ride?

Yes. How's that? :)

Retired and living off assets here. :greetings10: I've been taking dribs and drabs of profits from my stock holdings and putting them in fixed income/bonds. I have shaved my stock holdings down a bit...around 30% of my portfolio, but I will not go any lower.

Tomorrow I'm going to work out in the yard. ;)

I'm going cruising tomorrow. Don't worry I'll cover all bases, they sell lots of brands of beer on that boat.

Is that work - out in the yard?

Or

Work out - in the yard?

It will make a difference to the neighbors. :D
It will be a work out any way you look at it. There's nothin' sexier than a woman with ripped jeans, sweaty hair and tee shirt rasslin' a hedge trimmer. Right? :rolleyes:.....:LOL:

It will be a work out any way you look at it. There's nothin' sexier than a woman with ripped jeans, sweaty hair and tee shirt rasslin' a hedge trimmer. Right? :rolleyes:.....:LOL:
Is that the equivalent of the sex appeal of a man doing the dishes and vacuuming the house? :cool:

Sounds good to me. Would binoculars be considered beyond the pale in this case?

I'm going cruising tomorrow. Don't worry I'll cover all bases, they sell lots of brands of beer on that boat.
Boat? I thought all you need was a municipal park with lots of bushes.

Mr Market has had a hell of a run and Fundamentally I don't see much reason for things to have improved that much .

Hmmm, I don't know.

Six months ago everyone thought the world was going to come to an end. It didn't, and now is not expected to. That is a pretty gigantic swing in the fundamental outlook.

whoopee! hang on. !
O'tay!!!!..............
smiley-sport036.gif

If this is your retirement pot, stop reading the newspapers and stop watching the news. "Don't just do something, stand there."

I am serious.

I have not backed out of stocks, and my IRA is up about 40% since Feb, even after I had to take money out (out of work). If you like your asset allocation, stick with it or rebalance to what is was a year ago or so.

You haven't lost anything until you sell it.
That sounds like a sound advice. Divide your investments into 3 buckets - one ultra safe investments to fund 7 years of expense, another one for moderate investments (i.e., mixture of conservative stocks and intermediate bonds) for a duration of 7 years, and the final one for risky investments, i.e., REIT, commodities, private equity, emerging market funds, etc. With this approach, you can ignore short-term ups and downs.

I'd add one thing to what Ed said: get a hobby. :)

1. Saint's are still winning.

2. The Market will fluctuate.

heh heh heh - I think that's a yes vote. :cool: Meanwhile I'm balanced index - stay the course.

Yesterday my taxable account, to which I have neither added nor removed any money for months, was MORE than it was three weeks prior.

It would be unrealistic to expect that we could have a run-up like the last one, for more than six month without it coughing a bit and backing up three weeks. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom