Are you afraid to look poor?

My favorite designers have been "Clear Ance" (Clearance) and thrift stores for so long now that my son says I can't even stand to pay retail anymore...and he's right (except for shoes, cause if your feet hurt no amount of savings is worth it).
By the way, I have my own fake dog poo here. I thought it was a riot and gave it to my son as a Xmas stocking stuffer one year. My pretentious relatives thought it was crude and unfunny. To each their own...they just don't know funny, I guess.

So I was buying my Scott's lawn treatment bags (all 4 for the season because there is a $25 coupon) and I get to the check out and ask if they take AmEx? The young man asks to see my ID (I guess I did not look like anyone would give me an AmEx card); no one will ask me for money;)

So I was buying my Scott's lawn treatment bags (all 4 for the season because there is a $25 coupon) and I get to the check out and ask if they take AmEx? The young man asks to see my ID (I guess I did not look like anyone would give me an AmEx card); no one will ask me for money;)

I hope looking poor makes one less likely to be robbed.

Being a single guy, who lives frugally and usually dresses like a street urchin, my opinion is that if gal can't see beyond ''outward appearances'', then she's already proven that she's much too superficial for my taste. And it's sort of a 2 way street for me as well......'cause I'm not overly impressed by the gals that dress to the 9's, or in such a way as to try to impress people......and if she's not into frugality, she definitely not my type! I much prefer those who dress in similar style as myself and who live frugally as well.....they're not easy to come by, in fact there few and far between, but to me, they're worth the time and effort to find. Maybe it's just the 'old hippie' in me, man! :cool:
/quote]

Us "girls" aren't that interested in "what" a man is wearing as much as whether the clothing is clean, not overly wrinkled, at least in style in the past decade, and that it fits him well. Ditto shoes. We also look at fingernails and teeth. All these items in good condition tells us that you know how to take care of yourself and aren't expecting to hook up with "mommy." Just so you understand the priorities. :D

When bums see the way I dress, they get offended and cross over to the other side of the street.

When bums see the way I dress, they get offended and cross over to the other side of the street.

How do you know they are in fact bums and not the same as you?

I sometimes have to buy new clothes for work appearances, but never for weekends or days off. I figure with what's in the back of the closet or otherwise stored away as no longer nice enough for workdays, but still wearable, I've probably got 50 years worth so I'm planning on a nice long retirement of looking like it's laundry day.

An interesting little story about looking like a bum. An ex-coworker was single and lived at home with his parents. He was the ultimate LBYM type, never owned a car, rode a bicycle or took the bus to work for years. He shops at Salvation Army and Goodwill and looks like a derelict when he's on the street with his old rusty bicycle and long wool overcoat that has to be 50 years old and has been caught in the chain more than a few times.

His biggest problem with looking like a bum is that he gets stopped by the police frequently. He lives just a few blocks from me and he definitely looks out of place around our neighborhood.

Back in the 70's he and another engineer were working on a project that required a few trips to Oklahoma. The pair of them went a few times and then I was selected to go in place of Charlie (the LBYM guy). When I asked what was wrong with Charlie he said, After a long day working in the plant I like to go out and have a nice dinner and a beer. Then he said, Charlie's idea of going out for dinner is a trip to the grocery store for a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, a six pack of beer and heading back to the motel. :D

In 1994 old Charlie took a buyout at work and was back the next Monday and still works to this day. He's one heck of an engineer and can figure out how to get things done for the lowest dollar cost.

That solves the financial problem, but what if you have no sense of style. Even the most expensive clothing is worse than worthless if it's not hip.
Wearing a shirt thats "out" is worse for your image than an old, holey rag that screams cool.

While these things are innate to women, it takes a special kind of guy to pull it off.
coolsmiley.gif

Well, with a screen name BunsGettingFirm, I certainly know how to make my "assets" look good. :)

I wouldn't worry about being not being at the bleeding edge of fashion. Just get shirts and shoes that make good sense, and relegate the past cool shirts to casual Fridays.

The clothes I wore to work while programming at a small aerospace company in
the 1980's were so ratty that a memo was circulated around the business park to
beware - a homeless man was sneaking in to shower (I was showering after my
noon workout).

We have a group of programmers in our unit. I kind of wish I was in their shoes from time to time. In operations, we have to look/dress the part, especially since we are often part of sales pitches and are often in direct contact in current clients.

The programmers have limited contact with both and just get to focus on problem solving and coding. They are very valuable to the organization (good ones are hard to find) so nobody cares how they dress.

One, I suspect, is a hard core LBYM. I always seem him wearing the same pants, 2 polo shirts, suspenders and he is always carrying his brown bag lunch. I have seen him hawk over the leftovers from company parties.

One, I suspect, is a hard core LBYM. I always seem him wearing the same pants, 2 polo shirts, suspenders and he is always carrying his brown bag lunch. I have seen him hawk over the leftovers from company parties.

Brown bagging one's lunch isn't that uncommon at my work, and I think that is probably due to the sedentary nature of our jobs and the desire of most of us to keep our weight down. Most of us belong to a gym, as well. As for the leftovers from company parties, the secretaries or administrative assistants take them home.

I don't often interface with the public, but when I do it is often representing my agency in very formal meetings involving mind-bogglingly large sums of federal money so I need to dress nicely, in a formal, conservative sort of way. So, I have a few expensive outfits for that.

But otherwise, I dress in "business casual" (often polo shirts and black or tan slacks). Up until my windfall, I had three everyday work outfits and did the laundry twice a week. When my net worth increased dramatically in February, I went out and bought more so that I have enough to last a week and a half. :D

Probably I would have done that earlier if I was bucking for a promotion right now, instead of getting ready to retire next year.

One of the guys I used to work with was very sensitive to style and dress, and having a "cool" car. He was the one who was incredulous when I bought a pickup truck after my divorce and said "You're going out in dates in THAT!?"

"Sure. And if some girl doesn't want to out with me because I drive a pickup truck that's fine. It'll save us both a lot of bother."

When we were dating DW liked the pickup truck. It had A/C & power windows and her car didn't.

Am I afraid to look poor? No. Do I want to look poor on purpose? No. I grew up in Europe so I naturally tend to overdress by American standards. My mom taught me that wearing less than impeccable clothes is a sign of disrespect for those who have to cast an eye on your sorry-looking person. So one should be impeccably dressed (and groomed) at all times, even when doing a ice cream run to the grocery store at 10:00 pm.I know, it does not make sense for many people, my wife included. It does not mean however that your clothes have to be expensive or fancy. Growing up I never wore designer clothes and today I still don't. My favorite brands include LL Beans, Land's end and Levis. I like classic clothes but not necessarily stylish. But if my clothes start to look old (fading, thinning, etc) or have holes or stains, I throw them away. And I like them perfectly ironed too. I usually keep clothes for about 3 years on average. My wife and I spend about $700 a year on clothes.

Last edited:
That solves the financial problem, but what if you have no sense of style. Even the most expensive clothing is worse than worthless if it's not hip.
Wearing a shirt thats "out" is worse for your image than an old, holey rag that screams cool.

While these things are innate to women, it takes a special kind of guy to pull it off.
coolsmiley.gif

Okay, here's the thing about clothes and guys. Jeans are okay, even holes in them are okay. But the tapered Kirk-Cameron powder-blue blue jeans from the '80s are not okay. Just make sure the jeans have a dark wash, and are not tapered (not too flared either), and they can be as cheap as you like!

Also, I personally think most people can get away with wearing just about anything as long as they're thin (although I'm not necessarily there yet). I notice people's body contours more than the cut and quality of their clothes. A slim guy could wear the Kirk Cameron jeans AND a geometric print sweater from the '80s, and would still be better looking than a fat guy in full rocker-boy skinny-jeans hipster attire.

I guess if the 80's jeans are out, that this look might be a little too downscale?

Attachments

• overalls that fit.jpg
    overalls that fit.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 11
Hey, I didn't get rich by shopping at Macy's. In my 30's I even dived into some neighbor's garbage(shhhhhhh....at midnight or later) and pulled out some really nice shoes, clothes and furniture. Once a neighbor came by and said..."hey, I had a night table just like that one".

I still have my button down Arrow Dover style shirts from my last job at a company (pre 1988 ). Are those still in style?

A My mom taught me that wearing less than impeccable clothes is a sign of disrespect for those who have to cast an eye on your sorry-looking person. So one should be impeccably dressed (and groomed) at all times, even when doing a ice cream run to the grocery store at 10:00 pm.
Ouch! That is one tough standard.

CFB - I REALLY didn't need to see that picture!:eek:

Audrey

Blame my old high school pal Mike in Florida, who sent it to me about 2 minutes before I read the thread.

Does it count if you are using a Prosobee baby formula can to patch a noisy muffler?

This guy obviously need help with his style...

Attachments

• rwedding.jpg
    rwedding.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3
Wally world for my undies/socks and Salvation Army for the last wedding/reception I attended - under $35 shoes suit shirt tie etc plus blazer and slacks for the wedding rehersal diner.

For styling around town I like name brand overalls from Salvation Army in good condition.

I try to wear what's comfortable and appropriatiate for the occassion.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Back
Top Bottom