Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Us "girls" aren't that interested in "what" a man is wearing as much as whether the clothing is clean, not overly wrinkled, at least in style in the past decade, and that it fits him well. Ditto shoes. We also look at fingernails and teeth. All these items in good condition tells us that you know how to take care of yourself and aren't expecting to hook up with "mommy." Just so you understand the priorities.
If I'm going to be out in public, my clothes are usually clean. There are exceptions to that however. Like if I've been out working in the garden or in my workshop, and I decide it's time to head out for a caffeine fix......I'll wash my hands, kick any clods of mud off my shoes, and head for the coffee shop. If I'm planning on going somewhere (other than for caffeine or garden/shop supplies) I usually get cleaned up some, and throw on some clean rags.

As for "not overly wrinkled".....I don't iron anything! It's all 'wash-n-wear' to me. The closest that I've come to 'ironed' clothes, is the last time I bought a shirt at the Men's Store here in town, and they unfolded it and steamed it to get the 'folds' out of it. And "in style in the past decade"....well, to me if it fits and I like it, that's as close to "in style" as I get.

My usual attire consists of shorts (ocassionally, but very seldom, long pants...even in winter), T-shirts, polo shirts, and 'Hawaiian' print shirts, and sneakers. For "dress up", I have a couple of sport coats somewhere in the closet (I think), and a couple of pairs of "Sunday go-to-meeting" jeans.

My shoes for dressing up, consist of either brown Florsheim's or white sneakers......depends on my mood and not necessarily what attire I'm wearing. For general wear, I have some really comfortable gray sneakers, and I have a pair of Mucksters for wearing out in the yard & garden.

About 10 years ago, a female friend of mine tried to get me "stylish". She helped pick out some threads and such, along with some fancy fly spray cologne. I tried it for a while, but it wasn't "me", so I reverted back to my 'style' (or lack thereof). My style is pretty much a combination of Willie Nelson, Jimmy Buffett, and Jed Clampett.

Since I'm thoroughly content being single, I'm really not overly concerned with how the ladies view my appearance. Besides, it sure helps fend off any would-be 'gold-diggers'!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This guy obviously need help with his style...
Oh, you might make me fish out the redneck bride picture of the groom and the best man holding her upside down while she takes a giant drink out of the keg through a 1" plastic tube...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:53 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
As for "not overly wrinkled".....I don't iron anything! It's all 'wash-n-wear' to me. The closest that I've come to 'ironed' clothes, is the last time I bought a shirt at the Men's Store here in town, and they unfolded it and steamed it to get the 'folds' out of it. And "in style in the past decade"....well, to me if it fits and I like it, that's as close to "in style" as I get.
God made all people "wash-n-wear". If "wash-n-wear" is good enough for God, it is good enough for my clothes.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
God made all people "wash-n-wear". If "wash-n-wear" is good enough for God, it is good enough for my clothes.
Amen, pack!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't like second hand clothing, or some furniture. Not ashamed, just don't like the thought of wearing someone else's clothes.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
One of the guys I used to work with was very sensitive to style and dress, and having a "cool" car. He was the one who was incredulous when I bought a pickup truck after my divorce and said "You're going out in dates in THAT!?"

"Sure. And if some girl doesn't want to out with me because I drive a pickup truck that's fine. It'll save us both a lot of bother."
A coworker of mine used to drive an old beatup pickup and would apologize for it whenever he drove us out to lunch. After I told him I didn't care about his car one way or the other, he said, "yeah, but it's hard to get chicks with this car." I floated the "have a crappy car to filter out financially incompatible dates" theory, but it didn't fly. Eventually he did get a new car and also got married, so what do I know...
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't tend to buy secondhand clothing either, but do shop mostly out-of-season clearances. My clothes last a long time - being both lazy and cheap, I wear most pants for up to a week between washings (unless I spill something on them). It helps that I'm an IT support grunt at work and can just wear jeans/slacks and tshirts all the time.

To assuage my fear of coworkers coming up to me and asking why I'm still wearing the same pants, I buy 5 pairs of identical pants, so they can just assume I'm swapping them out every day. Never mind that no-one has ever commented on my wearing the same pants every day... I'm still prepared!
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
I don't tend to buy secondhand clothing either, but do shop mostly out-of-season clearances. My clothes last a long time - being both lazy and cheap, I wear most pants for up to a week between washings (unless I spill something on them). It helps that I'm an IT support grunt at work and can just wear jeans/slacks and tshirts all the time.

To assuage my fear of coworkers coming up to me and asking why I'm still wearing the same pants, I buy 5 pairs of identical pants, so they can just assume I'm swapping them out every day. Never mind that no-one has ever commented on my wearing the same pants every day... I'm still prepared!
Have you been looking in my closet? Same thoughts as yours.

My brother once heard Jay Leno's response to why he is always wearing jeans and a denim shirt in public. Jay said that is all he owns. The suits he is forced to wear on the show belong to the network.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love wearing jeans and shirts/sweatshirts/tanks....makes getting dressed so much easier!
For work, I have five black pants....a lot of black shirts, some colored ones and a few pairs of shoes. Many of the women comment how I always wear black....I tell them that it makes me look skinnier.
Right now that I am home.....I am chilling out in sweatpants with paint on them and a tank top....it's absolutely great!
I also love going shopping (clearance deals) in the summer wearing my tank/jeans/flipflops and my arm tattoos showing.....keeps all the annoying salespeople away from me.
I do buy new cars though.....and keep them for years!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I

I do buy new cars though.....and keep them for years!
Know the feeling of keeping vehicles for many years. Bought my '36 Ford coupe in '62; new 240Z in '72; '42 Willys Jeep in '73; latest '40 Ford coupe in '81; DW's new Honda in '92.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I usually keep clothes for about 3 years on average. My wife and I spend about $700 a year on clothes.
Back in the 70s I ws trying to get some control over my wife's clothes spending, so we negotiated a $600 pa clothes budget for her. I felt fine about this. It was less than prior to our discussion, she was very good looking, and I figured I got a lot of pleasure from my enjoyment of her appearance.

My only problem is that I had to spend a little more on my own clothes than I otherwise would have done so that I didn't look shabby alongside her.

Ha
Old 03-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
As for "not overly wrinkled".....I don't iron anything! It's all 'wash-n-wear' to me. The closest that I've come to 'ironed' clothes, is the last time I bought a shirt at the Men's Store here in town, and they unfolded it and steamed it to get the 'folds' out of it.
I've mastered the art of pulling clothes out of the drying immediately after the buzzer goes off and folding / hanging them right away. Hardly any wrinkles that way and no ironing required! What I don't like is guys (or gals) who throw their fresh clean clothes in a pile on the chair or floor and then pick something to wear from the pile each day. Ick! Clean, yes, but rumpled and wrinkled too. Goonie---tell me you fold and hang your clothes right from the dryer and that's perfectly fine for us LBYM gals who don't care for the rumpled look!

--Linney
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I am very frugal in spending on clothes; I like classic clothing that never goes out of style. People have complimented me on outfits because I think I have a good eye for colors going together. My mom would not iron anything so I iron just about everything (well not sheets and pillow cases), but if you hand wash a lot of things and iron them they last longer.
blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #114
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
I've mastered the art of pulling clothes out of the drying immediately after the buzzer goes off and folding / hanging them right away. Hardly any wrinkles that way and no ironing required! What I don't like is guys (or gals) who throw their fresh clean clothes in a pile on the chair or floor and then pick something to wear from the pile each day. Ick! Clean, yes, but rumpled and wrinkled too. Goonie---tell me you fold and hang your clothes right from the dryer and that's perfectly fine for us LBYM gals who don't care for the rumpled look!

--Linney
What's a dryer?
Old 03-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linney View Post
......Goonie---tell me you fold and hang your clothes right from the dryer and that's perfectly fine for us LBYM gals who don't care for the rumpled look!
Usually....but not always 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
What's a dryer?
When weather permits and/or cooperates, I hang the clothes out on the line. There have been a few times...not too many....that I've forgotten, and left them hanging out overnight went the temps would drop to sub-feezing, and ended up with freeze-dried clothes.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #116
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Usually....but not always 100%.

When weather permits and/or cooperates, I hang the clothes out on the line. There have been a few times...not too many....that I've forgotten, and left them hanging out overnight went the temps would drop to sub-feezing, and ended up with freeze-dried clothes.
Lesson learned from childhood:

When you're hanging sheets and it's below freezing, work fast and stand upwind.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
What's a dryer?
Ah yes, well that's a device we have here in the very rainy Pacific Northwest to get our clothes dry. If we hung them outdoors, it might take --months-- before they got dry.

--Linney
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:00 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so glad that all of you exude confidence and don't care. Actually I've never really cared either, but in Mega Corp, I've been complained about being too "casual." Really, I'm not rude, always very tactful and diplomatic and amaze my coworkers and immediate supervisors, but upper management feels that my casual attitude means I don't have a sense of urgency. Obviously, they don't know my fierce sense of loyalty!

The only thing I don't like about "looking poor" is that I know I don't get the same treatment as the people who look all put together and actually put up the air of confidence that says, "you better respect me because I'm special." This is mostly a problem in restaurants (not high class restaurants with prix fixe menus that I dress up for, but the high class wannabe ones - up and coming, you know).

I drive a 20+ year old car, I take public transportation to work, and some of my jeans were on sale for $6.98 (designer ones at Kohl's!). However, I'm not into second hand anything... I just feel icky about using stuff that other people have used. I once bought a knife from thrift store for 25 cents while on vacation (I didn't want to spring for a pack of plastic ware), but I had to really gear myself up to use it! Strange, I know, because obviously we use silverware at restaurants that others have used!
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 AM   #119

Retiringby50, I worked for IBM for awhile in the '80's for the most pretentious male boss imaginable (and only one I ever had, by the way, like that). He actually graded people by how they dressed! He actually promoted on the clothes people wore!!!! Yes!
Anyway, I dressed clean in dresses and skirts and blouses, but not in the suits they wanted you to wear. Who the heck wants to wear a suit in humid Houston, anyway
I was a poor, single parent then with one of those Mediterranean female bodies that doesn't fit easily into American suits (thinner shoulders, bigger bustline, smaller waist..well, you get it). Anyway, I KNEW this would go against me, so the only way I "won" that battle is by being #1 in the office sales contest every single month. I just worked harder and smarter to win. Then they couldn't get rid of me then...ha!
This guy, when he married, told me he liked his then wife when they were dating because "she always looked so sharp." I wonder how many men choose their wife because they dress well? He surely cheated on her afterwards alot if her clothes made him so happy.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing with regards to quality of dress and how people treat you. I sort of let my wardrobe slide a little a few years ago and started getting grumpy with the quality of service I was getting. Spiffed things up a little and observed the difference right away. Pretty interesting.

Funny how small changes in appearance make people interact with you differently. I noticed a whole world of difference in how women interacted with me after I started wearing a wedding ring...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote