Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

My family has started making donations to each-other's favorite charities instead of exchanging gifts at Christmas. Results in much less "stuff" accumulating. I suppose if there were small children involved, we would continue with gifts to them, but we are all adults, now.
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Well, I just figured out how to save 200 bucks a year, but I don't know if it's a CB or Frugal thing. I think it's frugal. I insisted that my wife cut my hair. lol. She was vehemently opposed to it, thinking she would screw it up. Well, she cut my hair, and I can't tell the difference between her job and the Hair Cuttery. That used to be about 17 bucks a month. No more! Is that CB or Frugal?
My ex, the spendthrift who borrowed to the hilt and lived way beyond our means, had me cut his hair. That started when we were newly weds and he was in the Navy. He insisted that barbers couldn't cut it right and I had to learn how to do it. Cutting hair is not my forte, but I faithfully cut his hair for 23 years. It is nice to be relieved of that responsibility!

I wouldn't say that making one's wife cut one's hair is a CB or even frugal thing to do, necessarily. It could just be a grumpy, picky thing to do. Guess it all depends on your mindset, which I am sure is different from my husband's mindset when we were married.

As for cost, I go to Supercuts ($12), and Frank goes to an old fashioned neighborhood barber who charges about $10.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:20 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
My family has started making donations to each-other's favorite charities instead of exchanging gifts at Christmas. Results in much less "stuff" accumulating. I suppose if there were small children involved, we would continue with gifts to them, but we are all adults, now.

We did the same thing for DW's family - though there is / was some grumbling about using Christmas for an excuse to give to charity instead of each other. It seems that these days everyone has everything they want and more - even the kids. Less stuff is better all around.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Someone offered to give me a drill press for free which I gladly accepted.
After a little time and elbow grease, it was ready to go and looked good.
Now that is not only frugal, but smart.

The chuck key for the drill press was missing so I went to the manufacturer with the model # and serial # to purchase one. Sure enough he said he could order me one for $9.95. I knew that this was too much, but I am not a CB so I said "OK", lets order it. After a few more keystrokes on the computer he said that with handling and shipping, it would come to $19.95.
After asking him to double-check his figures, I told him to "forget it" because at that point I felt like a "smart CB".

Here's the "smart frugal" part.......on my way home I went into an ACE Hardware store and bought the chuck key I needed for $3.95.

I vote for "smart frugal".
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About gifts to family...

My parents have been retired for over 20 years. Little by little inflation, health care costs and lower interest rates have caught up with them and they got to the point of having to cut back. They were always very generous with birthday, anniversary and holiday cash gifts for my sister and I, our spouses and especially the grandchildren.

But that's the first thing they decided to eliminate and I was very proud of them. They told us that the grandkids would still get a birthday check, but only cards for the adults. And they wanted us to stop buying them gifts. They had sold their house, moved to a condo and really downsized their needs and their possessions. That was a big relief as we had run out of ideas for gifts a long time ago!
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Darn, no cable,I must be a CB. Oh well, I just celebrated my 20-year hiatus from cable in May........ I kept my last cable bill, it was $19 a month for all the channels? I suppose today that would be $80 a month??
Umm, in my books, that's theft, and maybe, just maybe, my cable bill would be a little less if everybody paid their own way. Not something that I would generally brag about, but hey, whatever blows yer hair back.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #67
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Umm, in my books, that's theft, and maybe, just maybe, my cable bill would be a little less if everybody paid their own way. Not something that I would generally brag about, but hey, whatever blows yer hair back.
Not having cable is theft?

I think you are misinterpreting.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Uh, sorry but that (re-gifting) is frugal.
To a point.

My daughter was re-gifted a blender at her wedding shower. Because she received 2, she tried to return this one, only to find out that it was several years old and could not be returned anywhere !

eBay is the best way to reduce clutter
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Goodwill is better.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

At the rate that things fail these days (planned obsolescence?) one could simply wait for the first blender to fail and then pull the second one out for use at that time. (?)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I had a premonition the Saints were in for a but whipping last night so I didn't go over to watch the game at the only other Saints fan I know(this IS Kansas City) nor offer to spring for Pizza.

CB or Frugal?

heh heh heh - still crying. I expected a close but losing effort. Rats!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Not having cable is theft?

I think you are misinterpreting.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My sincere apologies. After re-reading yes, I did indeed misinterpret. I thought that you had been stealing cable all those yrs and were gloating.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
My sincere apologies. After re-reading yes, I did indeed misinterpret. I thought that you had been stealing cable all those yrs and were gloating.
Um....no........I'm not that clever.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
Well, I just figured out how to save 200 bucks a year, but I don't know if it's a CB or Frugal thing. I think it's frugal. I insisted that my wife cut my hair. lol. She was vehemently opposed to it, thinking she would screw it up. Well, she cut my hair, and I can't tell the difference between her job and the Hair Cuttery. That used to be about 17 bucks a month. No more! Is that CB or Frugal?
You need to go to a barber instead of a stylist. Then cut back on the frequency. The barber I have gone to for years is up to $10, there are cheaper places but I'm not that cheap. Then I try to get at least 4 haircuts per year if I need it or not. I admit sometimes I miss the mid Winter cut and drop back to 3. In a couple more years I will qualify for his senior discount and that will knock $2 off.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #76

I know this is an old thread, but I have to weigh in on not having cable being considered CB. I couldn't disagree more.

I don't have cable for one simple reason: without it I read more, play music more, and in general do more enriching (to me) things. With it, I get sucked into watching things that, in retrospect, seem like a big waste of time. You could argue that I lack self-control and that may be the case. But what sense would it make to pay for cable and then decline to watch it? To me that's neither cheap nor frugal--that's just dumb and wasteful.

I only have so many years on the planet. I'd like to spend as little of it as I can being filled with the kind of drivel that seems to dominate 95% of the cable offerings (seems like 80+ % of it is cop shows or their derivatives. What's with that?). I can get news from lots of other places (and as an added bonus, don't have to listen to Fox, and it's "fair and unbiased (tm)" propaganda).

The only downside that I've ever found is a bit of cultural ignorance. TV shows come and go that I've never heard of. I've never watched (nor wanted to watch) American Idol or Dancing with the Stars so I miss the "social connection" of talking about such things. During my working years, the cable in motels on business trips was plenty to fill in those holes. I guess now that I'm ER'd, I'll just have to be blissfully ignorant....
Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have to weigh in on not having cable being considered CB. I couldn't disagree more.
I'm a little confused by (but interested in) your post. Are you actually talking about watching television in general (whether the signal is delivered by cable or off-the-air) or just about watching programs only delivered by cable?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post

The only downside that I've ever found is a bit of cultural ignorance. TV shows come and go that I've never heard of. I've never watched (nor wanted to watch) American Idol or Dancing with the Stars so I miss the "social connection" of talking about such things. During my working years, the cable in motels on business trips was plenty to fill in those holes. I guess now that I'm ER'd, I'll just have to be blissfully ignorant....

You haven't lived until you've spent many evenings watching 'dancing with the stars', 'survivor', and 'american idol'. (heavy sarcastic tone)

I had a co-worker that was absolutely baffled that I'd never seen a single episode of 'friends'. Started referring to one episode just presuming that of course I'd seen it. Ugh, tv!

That said, some of those ,planet earth, shows were pretty cool.

- John
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm a little confused by (but interested in) your post. Are you actually talking about watching television in general (whether the signal is delivered by cable or off-the-air) or just about watching programs only delivered by cable?
since I can't get reception any other way where I live, I just think of TV as something you pay for. But my point , is that I don't want to pay for something that for me seems to lower the quality of my life.

I'm not saying that there is nothing worthwhile whatsoever on television. But boy, it sure seems that you have to hunt for it. During the period I did have cable, I noticed that me (and everyone in the house) watched it more and more. That didn't seem to be the case when 3 stations were available with rabbit ears.

Obviously, this is a matter of personal preference. But I think that before labeling people a CB for regifting or not purchasing cable, it's well to remember that some folks just choose to live differently than others and the choice may not be primarily motivated by money. This forum seems full of them--that's a good thing!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Bosco, you are not alone. We do not have TV, period. We read and talk and walk around out in yard, throw ball for the dogs, watch the sheep, etc. I don't think there is much of anything worthwhile on television. To me, it is just a mechanism created to make you watch commercials and buy things.

There is a little TV in the guest room with a VCR that we keep just in case of hurricanes or whatnot. I think we can get local channels on it, but I'm not entirely sure.

I hate it when grown people act like little kids about Christmas. DH's family does this. We have gradually reduced the gift insanity by refusing to buy more than one gift for each adult, and then give books to the children in my family. My mom goes crazy for the grandkids, but it doesn't really affect childfree me!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote