Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

No change here. Low profile as usual. I am 30 with a good job but still travel like a college student (overnight buses because I am too cheap to pay for a hotel, etc.). It's nice to know I can still do it and have not been spoiled by a stable income.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some people at work are very much taken aback when I tell them I am tentatively planning to retire later this year. I can almost hear them thinking, "How can she afford that?" After explaining my plans, I always laugh and say, "well, tentatively, you know, depending on the market!" But you know - - it isn't like I am going to cancel my plans if the Dow goes down. It already did that.

Sometimes I remark on the price of gas, which doesn't really affect me since I only get my tank filled every six weeks.

I don't think most people that I know in real life think I am rich. I don't really feel rich though I might if the market keeps rising.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #23

We mostly stay low profile; small home, used cars, no expensive toys. However we do take some nice vacations and DW has noticed some resentment from a few co-workers. I think it has more to do with the amount of time off DW is able to take without pay due to my much higher salary and generous vacation allowance. She is working because she still enjoys her job, not because we need her income to get by. She could retire anytime she chooses. Her co-workers know this and it seems to tick off some of them
Old 03-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Hell, that ticks me off...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Define "rich". I'm not sure I qualify.
We did a survey a few weeks ago. The vast majority of people on this forum declared themselves millionaires. Since only about 8% of the population belongs to that club, I think that millionaires could be described as rich. And if you are 40/50 years old and you can afford to stay in your PJs at home all day, I think that only on ER.org would we question whether or not that qualifies as rich.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
Well, I still wear torn underwear, old shirts, stained pants, shoes with card board in the soles, don't shave, have flies buzzing around me, but I have given up my gold chains

jug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Ha I knew I wasn't the only one who wore torn underwear!
You guys splurge on underwear? Why?, no one knows if you are wearing any. Arg, I can't stand you spendthrifts.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
You guys splurge on underwear? Why?, no one knows if you are wearing any. Arg, I can't stand you spendthrifts.
Right over the plate too. So many possibilities. But Ill behave.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
But, with the current economic and political climate, are you taking any extra steps to keep a low profile?
Yes. A lot of co-workers' spouses have gotten laid off. It's also hard to keep my trap shut whenever I get prayer requests regarding certain relatives that want God to help the bank pass a re-fi on their home bought with a zero-interest adjustable loan so they can get a much-needed $50/month back (yes, this actually happened).
Cruising2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've heard that those 5 lb onion bags make great...um...well, you know.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I hear ya.
Been there done that as a DINK couple, both GS-13 Engineers. No matter what you do, there will always be a grouse who has to try to ruin your day. Today's economy may drive the frequency of comments in an exponential fashion.
Freebird's Method of How to Deal with Disagreeable Comments...
Plan A: Smile and wave .
Plan B: Wave and smile.
Plan C: KMG (G stands for grits)

Good plan to keep asset details to yourselves, even family. Some would say "especially" family.
Given my fiery personality, I'd probably go directly for plan C...
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Why? It keeps the fur out of the zipper thats why.

As to the original post. DH and I have always been on the DL re. our money. for a lot of reasons its best to keep it that way.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

H'whoa. My name is Elmer J. Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

Not.

Drive a '93YO station wagon with the back seat pulled out so the rental supplies all fit. Honey's car is older, an '89. Live in an old house that cost $30,000 (to start). We buy new underwear, but most of our clothes are second hand. OTOH, more goes into savings every month than we spend on living expenses and the gal can jump on the big bird every month to go down and take care of her Mom - and it doesn't pain my cheepazz self. Haven't heard anyone being snide about our income or holdings, i suspect because we are not tall poppies here. Not much lifestyle change a-tall.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - I bought new $35 plus tax C.E. Schmidt bib overalls from Tractor Supply for the last New Orleans trip and let them toss in a free car wash when I paid for an oil change after we got back.

Love to to show off and rub their nose in it -once in a while.

However - 1100 sq ft house in an old burb(built 1970's) - working class/retired.

heh heh heh - The ORP calc says we should be spending 20-30% more in retirement since we aren't getting any younger - BUT the current unpleasantness has a sub concious damper - more so than any actual criticism from friends/family.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
I would say that most of us are not rich by any reasonable standard.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I would say that most of us are not rich by any reasonable standard.

What we are is very frugal.

As to profile I don't think I have anything to worry about. Panhandlers don't ask me for money, they just say "high, nice day", or "gotta cigarette?"

ha
Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #35

I'm far from "rich," and yet DW and I enjoy close to the same lifestyle we would if we were wealthy. I mean, if we had another X zillion $, I don't know what we would do with it, other than give it away to family and charity.

I also don't like the phrase LBYM, since that connotes having to do without things that you could afford, yet you consciously don't spend money on in order to afford early retirement. The problem I have with that is, if I couldn't afford early retirement, I would not be retired, I'd still be working for the day when I could afford to retire. So we live within our means, and can ride out good or bad markets as need be with a combination of pensions, cash, and investments. Our retired lifestyle includes sailing, travel, hobbies, family, etc, and we live it to the full within our means.

As far as keeping a low profile, we don't keep a high or a low profile, we basically live our lifestyle and have friends with similar interests. We never brag about what we do, but if we do something that to us is interesting, we talk about it. If someone doesn't want to hear it, that's fine, but we're not about to change the way we live to adjust to what others may or may not want to accept.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
I also don't like the phrase LBYM, since that connotes having to do without things that you could afford, yet you consciously don't spend money on in order to afford early retirement. ....

I like "Live well below your means". Both senses.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

My 92 year old Mom( who lives on SS and a small pension )was visiting last week and she offered me money .That really made me laugh . She also said I need a new car . So I guess do not have to worry about the low profile .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #38

Thats so funny. For the longest time the in laws were on us about getting a new car. The paint was faded from CA sun but it was a good runner. Might have something to do with that generation
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I think the most obvious example of folks NOT keeping a low profile are those who feel compelled to talk about others who don't LBYM, adopt a DINK lifestyle and those sort of things. If you're keeping a low profile, you don't need to comment about others chosing to walk a different path.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I think the most obvious example of folks NOT keeping a low profile are those who feel compelled to talk about others who don't LBYM, adopt a DINK lifestyle and those sort of things. If you're keeping a low profile, you don't need to comment about others chosing to walk a different path.
Hey, if they'll invite me over to their McMansion and let me lounge in their pool while tooting their coke and drinking their champagne, I'll reconsider...

I'm not, nor do I ever expect to be, "rich". My lbym lifestyle is an attempt to trade a j*b for freedom, which is more important to me than most material things I can think of. If I had more resources, I'd undoubtedly loosen the purse strings a bit... But I'd still rather go somewhere and/or do something than to own, say, a Rolex.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote