Join Early Retirement Today

Are you now worried about fake early SS?
Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you now worried about fake early SS?

With the credit breach and extra information the criminals have on you now, I wonder if there may be an increase in attempts to claim someone's SS benefits. If I were a criminal and had all of this information from the credit reporting agency, I would filter it for richer people then filter by age and set up a system that attempts to file for SS benefits for people in the range of 62 to 65. The thinking here is that you might get the benefits of people who are delaying their SS to FRA.

Boy would that be a mess. You go to file for your benefits and find out someone has already filed for you years ago.

Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
Administrator

Not heard of that going on so much as the fake IRS returns. I expect it can happen.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpaye...identity-theft

Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why should I be worried about any of that? After all, I will still get what I am expecting.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Not heard of that going on so much as the fake IRS returns. I expect it can happen.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpaye...identity-theft
Unfortunately, you may be right. For the past 2 years TurboTax has used the filer's driver license number to confirm identity. This breach includes that item (or at least may) so the problem is potentially back.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure if it happened that it would be a hassle, but wouldn't there be a high risk of getting caught since monthly SS benefits would be direct deposited to a bank account controlled by the perpetrator?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

The OPM data breach was actually more scary for me. That one potentially got everything on my SF 86 plus everything documented during the interview and background/credit checks, so that would include my SSN, drivers license, passport, credit cards, and stuff that people use for security questions such as previous addresses, parents' maiden and middle names, schools attended, etc. I do worry, but so far nobody has used any of it.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #7

There is a feature available called mySocial Security (or something like that) where you can "claim" your SS account without filing for benefits. I suppose it would inhibit any fraudulent filing. I tried to use it once, but I was unable to claim my account.....maybe it was already hacked. Not terribly worried, but I do need to look into it.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Unfortunately, you may be right. For the past 2 years TurboTax has used the filer's driver license number to confirm identity. This breach includes that item (or at least may) so the problem is potentially back.
My drivers licence expired in February (my wife last November) so neither of us renewed because of our move to England. When I efiled this year I was asked for my driver's licence and so I had to skip the question but was surprised to see no follow-up security question(s).
Old 09-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

What makes me think my data wasn't already given to hackers? How many folks already "lost" my data?
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Why should I be worried about any of that? After all, I will still get what I am expecting.
No, they will deny you as "you" don't live at the address on file since it was changed years ago and don't know the new password, and security questions, etc..
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
This will make the new SS scam so easy, they won't even have to phone you:

New Social Security Scam Targets Benefit Check Recipients

"The impersonator then asks the victim to verify all of his or her personal information, including name, date of birth and Social Security number, in order to receive the increase. If the impostor is able to acquire this data, the person can use it to contact the SSA and request changes to the victim’s direct deposit, address and phone information."
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #12

Thanks for the thread. It got me off my duff and I went back to this site:

www.ssa.gov/myaccount

and I claimed my SSA account...........
Congratulations! You have successfully set up your my Social Security account.

Not exactly sure how useful this will be but will poke around later.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Boy would that be a mess. You go to file for your benefits and find out someone has already filed for you years ago.
As others have pointed out, if you sign up for an online mysocialsecurity account, you can monitor your account and you would then be able to see if someone was fraudulently claiming benefits. I'm not sure, but I think you may be able to set up alerts so you are emailed if someone does any activity on your account.
JustCurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
With the credit breach and extra information the criminals have on you now, I wonder if there may be an increase in attempts to claim someone's SS benefits. If I were a criminal and had all of this information from the credit reporting agency, I would filter it for richer people then filter by age and set up a system that attempts to file for SS benefits for people in the range of 62 to 65. The thinking here is that you might get the benefits of people who are delaying their SS to FRA.

Both DH and I have online SS.gov accounts set up. I don't think anyone can get in and mess with our setup now. We have two-factor authentication set up plus they have our email.

Especially if we freeze our credit.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Thanks for the thread. It got me off my duff and I went back to this site:

www.ssa.gov/myaccount

and I claimed my SSA account...........
Congratulations! You have successfully set up your my Social Security account.

Not exactly sure how useful this will be but will poke around later.
They will no longer send you annual statements about your projected SS income. You will be ble to get the statement online.

You can also get other statements when you are receiving SS, deal with address and bank account changes, etc.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
freeze our credit.
So how do I do this? If I've done annualcreditreport.Com in the last few months, do I get a 'pass' bc of breach? Asking bc I'm in a location where I cannot / should not get on right now
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
So how do I do this? If I've done annualcreditreport.Com in the last few months, do I get a 'pass' bc of breach? Asking bc I'm in a location where I cannot / should not get on right now
What pass?

The process is not straightforward. I believed annualcreditreport.com walks you through it, but you have to contact each credit reporting agency separately to freeze credit with each agency.

Costs for freezeing credit and conditions for waiving fees are state dependent.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:

I hope some one steals my Social security number and works on the books for the next 7 years making big money. My monthly payment will go up.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They will no longer send you annual statements about your projected SS income. You will be ble to get the statement online.

You can also get other statements when you are receiving SS, deal with address and bank account changes, etc.

It asked me if I wanted to continue statements by mail so I think it is optional.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
It asked me if I wanted to continue statements by mail so I think it is optional.
OK - that may be new.

Personally I prefer to not receive docs with personal sensitive information in the mail.