Are you rich? How much of a nestegg do you need to join the true elite.

If I'm not worth >20M within the next 10 years I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

Good luck to you. And if you don't make it, take consolation in the fact that disappointment (especially the sore variety) builds character...but only when seen from the perspective of one of us old guys. :)

Good luck to you. And if you don't make it, take consolation in the fact that disappointment (especially the sore variety) builds character...but only when seen from the perspective of one of us old guys. :)

...and old women. :p

By the age of 50, many of us have had our egos dragged into the alley and stomped flat.

Hey, I like my work. I enjoy my profession and when everything is going well cannot wait to get to work and generally spend my time smiling and being amazed they actually pay me to do this.

Problem is I don't think I've ever got to enjoy that more than two years running before some corporate culture disease takes the place over and fills my day with unnecessary reports, arbitrary and capricous changes in direction, technical incompetence dictated from above and dilbert-like policy and procedure manuals. Sometimes if I wait long enough the place with right itself and I may get another year of decent work out of them, but most of them self destruct in short order and I need to find new work elsewhere. If I'm lucky I can find good work, if the timing is bad maybe only a j*b is available.

Now if I owned the place, then maybe I could keep that great working environment longer and want to stick around after FIRE, but since I don't, i'm expecting once I reach FIRE to have at most a couple years of good time before even a good work situation deteriorates. I can't see having the FI ability to walk away from some horrible j*b situation and deciding to stay and work some more anyway.

Hey, I like my work. I enjoy my profession and when everything is going well cannot wait to get to work and generally spend my time smiling and being amazed they actually pay me to do this.

Problem is I don't think I've ever got to enjoy that more than two years running before some corporate culture disease takes the place over and fills my day with unnecessary reports, arbitrary and capricous changes in direction, technical incompetence dictated from above and dilbert-like policy and procedure manuals.
you are a very lucky person to be able to enjoy your job. great stuff!
i felt that way the first 15 years of my techie career, but the last 10 were not fun at all. everyone has a different situation.
Dilbert cartoons were a great distraction for some of my worst days.

Net worth hit $2.1M in December, but still can't get the wife to agree on a target for when to jump. I always wondered how people made it all the way to $5M or $100M without deciding to retire way before then. I can't imagine bothering to go over $5M. My target was always $2.3M.

There are many many people throughout the world who think your # is as over the top as you think about 5 or 100 mil. I figure it is normal human nature, and no one is right or wrong.

Another of my silly observations: I'm always kinda of surprised at when those few people come on to this forum with quite high net worths (I'm not even remotely in that category) and get poopooed away fairly quickly even if on a very subtle level. Human nature for those with similar "fortunes" and goals in life to band to together.

Last edited:
you are a very lucky person to be able to enjoy your job. great stuff!
i felt that way the first 15 years of my techie career, but the last 10 were not fun at all. everyone has a different situation.
Dilbert cartoons were a great distraction for some of my worst days.

I am still enjoying doing technical work but having second thoughts lately since my role is becoming more managerial.

By the age of 50, many of us have had our egos dragged into the alley and stomped flat.
This marks the beginning of a journey toward equanimity and non-attachment to status and material possessions.

I am still enjoying doing technical work but having second thoughts lately since my role is becoming more managerial.

Yea, that's where it starts going downhill.........

that's exactly when my engineering j*b started going downhill. try to keep your fingers in the pie!

maybe informally mentor a new hire in a different dept so you can keep your finger on the pulse. or manage the new (your idea) mentor program!

good luck! :)

Need some bling for your surfboard? :p
Funny you should mention that-- spouse saw a story last night about Cameron Diaz' $2400 surfboard with inlaid fins.

Cameron Diaz Surfboard Design - 360Guide

I'd be afraid to (1) take it into the water for fear of dinging or even denting it, and (2) leave it anywhere around the beach/parking lot. Too much responsibility...

As for the "evil work" comments, during my working years I'd would've been thrilled to find an avocation that outweighed all the "dissatisfiers". Now that I'm ER'd I think I've found it.

CybrMike, I think a true assessment of how much you enjoy your avocation is whether or not you'd get paid for it-- or donate your salary to charity. But when you're running your own business it's a lot easier to declare a surfing break.

What's not evil, however, but rather sad, is those who hate their occupations yet fear that they'll never have enough to ER. It's worse than Rich's "Just one more year" syndrome, and we've had a few posters who freaked out when they had to contemplate a lifetime of outgo sans income.

This marks the beginning of a journey toward equanimity and non-attachment to status and material possessions.

Yes.

Once you let it go you can relax.

You start out thinking we're smart and destined to greatness. You strive to impress others (parents, lovers, siblings, bosses, neighbors...) with how smart, strong, successful you are.

Sometime in your 40s that little voice inside starts to tell you that you're not going to be great; never going to attain sufficient power, wealth and status. For even what you do attain is never enough.

You can ignore that voice and try to stifle it: with more stuff, new stuff. (I think this is where middle age crazy kicks in).

Or you can listen.

You're never going to have all you wanted. Did you really want it in the first place? Or were you always told that you wanted it? Were you told that you had to stick to the script or else? Or else what? That people would not appropriately admire you?

You do have all you're going to get. And that's probably enough.
------------------------------------------------
"What will people think?"
I don't care.

"What do you do?"
Very little.

"What do you do in you spare time?"
I don't understand the concept of 'spare time'.
Occasionally I feel competitive, but I am usually successful at dismissing it.

It's interesting to watch the (figurative) snorting and hoof stomping that goes on at the office, in traffic, on various message boards: people simply can not back down. It doesn't even matter what the original idea or action was; it's the principle of the thing. And it is often people in their 40s. I guess they still feel they have to prove something.
Mongol General: What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Khan: To watch the squirrels.

I'm convinced the more money I have, the more I will think I need to be rich. <sigh>

I remember the lean years not-so-long ago (17 years and 10 months to be exactly) when we were saving for the wedding and paying the mortgage payments. I had enough to buy gas and that was it. My mom packed my lunches to bring to my first corporate job, and DH brought lunch to work as well. It really wasn't until about 4 years ago when I started making the amount of salary that I was happy with, and now I have a contract job that pays more than twice that amount, while DH is content at his job and earnings. Last year I inherited and it doubled our assets, but I still feel like we're not "rich." Weird.

I still feel like we're not "rich." Weird.

For me it's when I go to the store here and a pound of dry red beans is $3.50, (the more common white beans, $2). My money has doubled, but so have prices.

The "bean" lifestyle is looking pretty rich to me right now! :eek: :) :(

Well I'm far from rich (especially given the definitions in the original article), but I've never really been poor either.

The article did make me a little lustful. A private jet, a personal chef, a flat in london and a villa in the Greek isles, a box at the Met, a vast personal library. It's enough to make my head spin.

"That's selling out.
But it's nice to dream"

Changes from day to day

If I am in a 3rd world country I feel like a multimillionaire. If I went to the Hamptons I would feel like I was low middle class. Like most anything it is relative.

If I went to the Hamptons I would feel like I was low middle class. Like most anything it is relative.

That is pretty good. To be a middle class in the Hamptons probably takes a lot of dough.

mp

I don't like jobs but I like work. I like to spend hours in my woodworking shop building furniture. That's work, believe me, but not a job. When I spend an entire afternoon digging around the garden, that's work, but not a job. Cleaning up your house, that's work, but not a job. Volunteering at your neighborhood soup kitchen that's work, but not a job. I suspect that many people who are FIREd in fact like work... We just don't like other people telling us what to do...
Tell you what. Feel free to come over to my place any time, and you can wash my car, vacuum my carpets, iron my shirts, rake my leaves, shovel my snow, cut my grass, etc. All without pay, natch.

You can set your own hours, prioritize your tasks, and work at your own pace; so I know that you'll enjoy yourself, and I'll be happy, too! ;)

Back
Top Bottom