Join Early Retirement Today

Article: 60/40 portfolio in 20% decline
Old 03-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Article: 60/40 portfolio in 20% decline

This article, posted on CNBC, was interesting to me as I’m slowly working my way toward a 60/40 split in my retirement portfolio:

Quote:
The traditional balanced portfolio of 60% stocks and 40% bonds lost 20% from its peak value.

This is only the fourth time in 75 years it has suffered such a decline with the other moments coming in August 1974, September 2002 and January 2009, according to Michael Batnick of Ritholtz Wealth Management.

An investor who rebalanced holdings back to the 60/40 asset split at the end of the month when a 20% decline was first registered would have been positioned for attractive returns in subsequent years.

But some believe there are reasons to be skeptical that holding fast to the 60/40 stance this time will fare as well as in past decades.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/28/the-...urth-time.html

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Another approach besides the 60/40 standard split was cited by Michael Kitces and Wade Pfau known as the rising equity glide path.

The rising equity glide path would do better to guard against the Sequence of Return Risk for early retirees. However, when the bulls are running it will leave a smaller portfolio.

Risk Reward balance.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was using the rising equity glide path prior to the down draft and my losses were less than 7%. I have since started into the rising equity phase of the equation. There was also a small window to pick up bonds with some fantastic yields.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Another approach besides the 60/40 standard split was cited by Michael Kitces and Wade Pfau known as the rising equity glide path.

The rising equity glide path would do better to guard against the Sequence of Return Risk for early retirees. However, when the bulls are running it will leave a smaller portfolio.

Risk Reward balance.
Yes, I'm a bigger fan of the bond tent than I was when I retired in 2017.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote