Join Early Retirement Today

Article: Financial Advisers Flunk Undercover Sting
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Article: Financial Advisers Flunk Undercover Sting

More empirical evidence from a Harvard/MIT study that financial advisors are only looking out for one person's interests...it's amazing that this industry continues to operate this way.

So, when the actors came into these offices, what happened? Basically, the advisers advised the dummy clients to do a whole lot of things that were in the advisers' interests, while making some adjustments based on just how much they thought the clients could be persuaded to do.

Financial Advisers Flunk Undercover Sting - SmartMoney.com
soupcxan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would love to have a discussion if this thread gets some momentum. All I see is a lot of bias involved. Interesting that 70% of the "fake clients" would go back and see those advisors..........hmm..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

These people are salespeople and trying to make a living. I don't believe for one minute that they have anyone's interest at heart except their own.

About 6 years ago a member of my family received 2.5M in an ins. settlement from a death. After her husband died in the car crash she went to see a friend of her husbands who was in the brokerage business. He promptly sold her 3 annuities eating up the total amount and a LI whole life policy for 19K a year. She was 61 with no dependents at the time.

Now it's 6 years later and the annuities are about to expire. She said the other day that she trusts this guy and is going to give him the money again so he can do what he want's with it.

Hey it's her money let her have a good time with it. I told her once and that's that, she don't listen.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #4

Does this study actually surprise anyone ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Hey it's her money let her have a good time with it. I told her once and that's that, she don't listen.
A wise choice I believe. My Dad sometimes said- unless you live in the same house, eat at the same table, or sleep in the same bed, it's not your business.

Ha
Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

In other news, dogs bark and cats meow. Wait! This just in. The sun will rise tomorrow!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Administrator

Having seen how some people manage their money, these financial advisors might not be a bad option.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Having seen how some people manage their money, these financial advisors might not be a bad option.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Does this study actually surprise anyone ?
The surprising thing is that the sponsors of the study were surprised that the advisors advocated making changes.

They put out 4 portfolios, right?

1)"Chasing Returns" portfolio. No much said about this. Quite honestly, I send folks like this to TD Ameritrade or Etrade and let them go crazy. Folks like this don't listen to advice anyways, so are not a client most advisors want......

2)Portfolios heavily weighted in company stock. Not much said about this either. Of course, logic would say the advisor would try to diversify the client's investments. I am sure the lessons of Enron and others would show that having 75-100% in company stock only is a bad idea. The sponsors said they were surprised that the advisors changed around the portfolios.really??

3)Diversified low-fee index portfolios. I think the article said the advisors "blatantly" moved fund into higher cost MF and such......hello there, bias anyone? That is what I consider a DIY investor, why even talk to an FA if you don't want them to give ideas?

4)All cash - wow, the article suggest the advisor might be most helpful here, since the investor has no plan.........

Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

When we were very young (mid to late 20s) we had saved a lot of money and decided to talk to a neighbor who worked for Dean Witter. He talked to us about investing in oil and gas and gave us a prospectus to take home and read. It did not take me long to figure out that we did not qualify for the investment in terms of our income or net worth.

I started to think about it and it dawned on me that if these guys were so smart, they would not need to work for Dean Witter as salesmen...uhm, I mean financial planners.

We never bothered seeking advice from a commission based FP ever again.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty57 View Post
When we were very young (mid to late 20s) we had saved a lot of money and decided to talk to a neighbor who worked for Dean Witter. He talked to us about investing in oil and gas and gave us a prospectus to take home and read. It did not take me long to figure out that we did not qualify for the investment in terms of our income or net worth.

I started to think about it and it dawned on me that if these guys were so smart, they would not need to work for Dean Witter as salesmen...uhm, I mean financial planners.

We never bothered seeking advice from a commission based FP ever again.
Yeah, how can you trust planners whose office is in a Sears store?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

Only if the investments come with the old Craftsman Tools warranty. "My value-weighted fund broke. Gimme a new one with my original balance."
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Only if the investments come with the old Craftsman Tools warranty. "My value-weighted fund broke. Gimme a new one with my original balance."
How BIG would have been the "Craftsman Portfolio"..........

Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Is that where Dean Witter is now? Really? I haven't had any money with them in decades.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #15

I guess it surprises me in one way. I would think it would follow more of an "80-20" rule...with 20% bad apples....but it seems more widespread.

It's a shame things are this way...hate to see people get taken advantage of.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
I guess it surprises me in one way. I would think it would follow more of an "80-20" rule...with 20% bad apples....but it seems more widespread.

It's a shame things are this way...hate to see people get taken advantage of.
There are about 700,000 registered financial advisors in the US. 20% would be about 140,000. That would be a BIG number. Did you read the last part? 70% of the "fake investors" plan on going back to those same planners with their OWN MONEY after the study was over. Why is that?

Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty57 View Post
Is that where Dean Witter is now? Really? I haven't had any money with them in decades.
Sears sold them off a long time ago.