Article questioning the 4% withdrawal rate for retirees

Sorry, I guess that is the consensus with the article. I will be more selective in the future...
IMO, it's not that it's the consensus per se. It's that there's been a couple of articles per month for the last 2-3 years making that case.

4% may still survive the recent doldrums; it remains to be seen. But right now, give the rampant pessimism out there, these writers have to do something to get readers.

IMO, it's not that it's the consensus per se. It's that there's been a couple of articles per month for the last 2-3 years making that case.

4% may still survive the recent doldrums; it remains to be seen. But right now, give the rampant pessimism out there, these writers have to do something to get readers.

I had seen articles along that line before - just not stated the way this article discussed it. I guess since I do not use the 4% rule I do not follow these types of articles much...

Bottom line: No spending system can accommodate all the twists and turns you'll experience in retirement. But if you think of the 4% rule as a guideline and stand ready to adjust your spending and withdrawals to changing conditions, you should be able to handle those unexpected events and still enjoy retirement.
It's a fair summary, but I'm enjoying the research that Wade Pfau is doing on improving the analysis. For example,

Retirement Researcher Blog: Updated Situation for 2000 Retirees

Back
Top Bottom