Join Early Retirement Today

Re: As God is my witness, I will never be in
Old 06-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
OAP,
I have a simple solution to dealing with falling markets in a well-diversified portfolio:* *just don't look at your brokerage balances.* Ignorance is bliss.

How would you know if they were up or down if you didn't look?* Think about something else, go for a walk, make a new friend, cook a new dish, plant a new garden and promise yourself you'll check them again, say, at the end of the summer or maybe in the Fall.

ESRBob: Maybe you should consider writing a book.

If I have learned anything in life it's that spending time worrying or fretting about things you are not in control of is time wasted, and taken to extreme will make you "bad company" (Stock Mkt. performance, property values, adult children making goofy decisions, etc. etc.).

My adult children are going to spend the day with me today. I expect a "stress-free" get together. (It took a while for me to get there, but discovered that worrying and fretting, and giving unsolicited advice to them wasn't working. (We're going to play golf).

Oh, and "Happy fathers Day", to you and all the
other "gluttons for punishment" on the board.

Regards, Jarhead
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
My adult children are going to spend the day with me today.* I expect a "stress-free" get together.* (It took a while for me to get there, but discovered that worrying and fretting, and giving unsolicited advice to them wasn't working. * (We're going to play golf).
Sound advice. I am not there yet (but should have been years ago).
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Crossthreading, are we?
The post I responded to is in this thread.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #44

Here are my 2 portfolios and I cannot for the life of me see why they are volatile. Every time some financial news comes out the excuses for the market reaction are laughable. Let's see: "Analysts were dissapointed that althought profits exceeded predictions they only exceeded by 10%", boom market tanks.

Can anyone see why these portfolios lost so much money in the last 2 weeks.

This portfolio is my after-tax portfolio. $1.24 mil

FTEXX FIDELITY MUNICIPAL MONEY MARKET
CSCO CISCO SYS INC
ELOS SYNERON MEDICAL LTD ORD SHS
FBGRX FIDELITY BLUE CHIP GROWTH
INTC INTEL CORP
NAESX VANGUARD SMALL CAP STOCK INDEX TRUST
PHH PHH CORP COM NEW
TBGVX TWEEDY BROWNE GLOBAL VALUE FUND
UNH UNITEDHEALTH GROUP
VBINX VANGUARD BALANCED INDEX
VEURX VANGUARD EUROPEAN STOCK INDEX
VGSIX VANGUARD REIT INDEX FUND
VIVAX VANGUARD VALUE INDEX
VPACX VANGUARD PACIFIC STOCK INDEX
VTOVX VANGUARD TARGET RET 2005 FD INVESTOR CL

This is my IRA (410k was rolled into this account) $920K
FDRXX* FIDELITY CASH RESERVES
FEMKX FIDELITY EMERGING MARKETS
FHKCX FIDELITY CHINA REGION
FICDX FIDELITY CANADA
FLATX FIDELITY LATIN AMERICA
ISM SLM CORP PFD SER A CP
VB VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD SMALL CAP VIPERS FORMERLY VANGUA
VDE VANGUARD SECTOR INDEX FDS VANGUARD ENERGY VIPERS
VGPMX VANGUARD PRECIOUS METALS & MINING FUND
VGTSX VANGUARD TOTAL INTL STOCK INDEX FUND
VNQ VANGUARD INDEX FDS FORMERLY VANGUARD INDEX TR TO 05/24/01 RE
VO VANGUARD INDEX FDS VANGUARD MID CAP VIPERS FORMERLY VANGUARD
VTI VANGUARD INDEX TR VANGUARD TOTAL STK MKT VIPERS
VTRIX VANGUARD INTERNATL VALUE PORTFOLIO
VWO VANGUARD INTL EQUITY INDEX FD INC VANGUARD EMERGING MKTS VIP
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #45

PS: I made quite a bit of money in the last 12 months. It's not that the market is volatile that bums me out.

It's the petty little things that cause the market to tank.

1. Two hostages are kidnapped in Iraq. Boom, out go the lights.
2. Bernacke says , blah, blah . Boom, out go the lights.
3. Analysts expect next quarter to, blah. (there never right but hey, boom...
4. Economy is growing to fast, why the hell is that bad? Boom out go the lights.

And, really it's the herd mentality that scares me the most. Why was Cisco, JDSUniphase, Microsoft, Intel, EMC, etc all worth $100 or more a share one day and by the end of week 2 they were in the teens? Herd mentality.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

OAP,
Looking at your stocks and funds you seem to be represented in most, if not all, asset classes. But what % do you hold? In other words, what % in equities, bonds, cash? When I organize my funds this way then I can get a better sense of lining up my risk tolerance to my exposure to the markets.

My own port, like most everyone else, has taken a hit, too. I am down 4.5% from my high point. I've also noticed the same nuttiness with the markets but I figure I just have to wait it out. I also wonder if the herd mentality will actually put us into a bear market. It helps me to read the responses from the other posters here. You should read the stuff posted on some other financial discussion boards. It would scare the heck out of you (not recommending you do this.)

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #47

OAP,

It sounds to me as if this has been building stress for a very long time for you. You mentioned Cisco and Microsoft at $100 plus. That hasn't been the case in years (2 at least).

As others have said, do you best not to look at your stocks every day. If your portfolio is balanced with cash, bonds and stocks you shouldn't need to keep an eye on it every day. It just causes stress (I know, it took me a while).

Some cash is good if you are currently drawing, but all cash is not so good if you need your portfolio to last you a long time.

This may just be a great opportunity to buy
Old 06-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #48

LL,
I'm at $200k in the MM portion of my after-tax.

My only bond exposure is within a few of the funds. *Not much at all.

My hypothetical "safe" life setup. (Not that I'm gonna do it)

1. Paid for brand new "small" home built to my specs. *$350k
2. Brand new Lexus or some other long living car. *$40k
3. All brand new major consumer goods,furniture, TV, VCR, fridge, stove, dishwasher, etc. $60k
4. All brand new clothes, shoes, coats, etc. $3k
5. Set up bond ladder or annuity to pay food, lights, water, taxes, insurance, etc. $400k

That is roughly $850K and since $200k of the port. is cash, I could probably net that much cashing out the $1.24m portfolio.

I could do the 5 things above and still have a $900k "reserve" IRA portfolio and SS coming in at 62 1/2.

So even if the market takes a big correction due to all this war spending and all-out printing press money manufacturing. *I'm affected very little.

Even inflation can't hurt me much. *I've already bought everything.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #49

Zathras,
In the beginning of the year 2000, Cisco Systems was $90 and as you see in my portfolio I owned 8000 shares, by the end of 2000 it was roughly $10 for a loss of $640k and it has only recovered to $20 for a loss of $560k.

At the beginning of 2000, I was a moderately wealthy man, just by holding firm in the market, I became roughly 20% of a moderately wealthy man.

6 long years later, I'm back to roughly half where I was. In 2000, I almost sold everything very early when the market got shaky but all my advice was hang in there the market will come back.

Well, maybe by some time in 15 years I will be back to where I was 6 years ago. I do trust that a well diversified portfolio over a long period is the best investment. It's just I'm leary that we are in for a 500-800 point correction any day now. And a long slow recovery. We'll see.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:18 PM   #50

OAP,

Yeah, 2000 hit a lot of people really hard.

If the daily swings cause too much anxiety (I can certainly understand that with 2000 in your background) cash may be the way to go.

The reduction of stress is definately worth quite a bit. Sounds like you have a well laid out plan which is always important.

I'm just saying that if you have the time and money to cover you during the dip in the market, weekly fluxuations shouldn't cause the destruction of your portfolio.

Again though, if it causes stress for you, you have to decide if that stress and risk is worth it.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #51

Zathras,
Last couple of weeks took a lot of money from me but I'm more worried that it's a harbinger of things to come. We will be mired in Iraq for a decade I suspect at some level.

And just one more major terror event will be a real test for the market.

So more of my anxiety is associated with a major dip not volatility. Cause volatility could be up, right?

Anyway, thanks and thanks to everyone who has sought to settle me down.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
So more of my anxiety is associated with a major dip not volatility.
Look at worse cases; even if your portfolio dropped 50%, you should still have enough to manage, right?

bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

well lets see a guaranteed loss in cash or money markets after taxes and inflation,or a 67% chance of making lots more?...hmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see ,what would you do?...i know its a no brainer for me...
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #54

67% chance or 67% possibility of a chance.?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

OAP,

Looks like you owned a fair amount of single company equities. In retrospect would you have skipped individual stocks altogether, and stuck with mutuals, or do you feel that these individual equities paid off in the long haul?

I wasn't planning on owning any individual stocks once I get to FIRE. I have an advisor (Bernstein-Alliance) for part of my money, and they have me in so many individual stocks ($2k-3k per company is all) that it is virtually a mutual fund to me. BTW, he will also be out of the picture once I get to that point, in all probability.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #56

Rich,
edit your post quick and hide the fact that you have an advisor. I got flayed on the board for mentioning a financial advisor. Charles Freidlander of LA Wachovia office even though he has probably 15-20 former aerospace VP's as customers.

Seems on this board you either worship Bernstein or else.

Rich, actually I parlayed about 500K of my own money into a lot of "paper" money by buying MSFT, CSCO, INTL, EMC, JDSU, and a few real small hi-techs during 88-98. Year 2000 took all that back.

I now stick with Fidelity and Vanguard Funds mostly with a couple of individual stocks. Had year 2000 not happened, I'd be a $10mil man. I'd have a 40' power boat in Tampa Bay.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

OAP,

you seem to have a severe case of loss-aversion-itis.* You have not sold CSCO and INTC even though they are big losers and will not come back in your lifetime.* To help you overcome this LA-itis, may I respectfully suggest you read Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes?

A thing that has helped me is to automatically sell losers at either (a) just before I have owned them one year, so they stay as short-term losers, or (b) if they have already been held for more than a year, then in November of December for the year-end tax-loss.* The tax-loss gives me an instant 15% "gain" because I don't have to pay taxes on a gain or future gain.

Not only does selling my losers hide the red in my portfolio tracker (which shows only current holdings), but is has saved my butt in the spring2000 to fall2002 debacle. Even though I like to stay fully invested, I have to think about where to redeploy the cash raised and I've made better decisions after learning from my losses.

Best of luck!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #58

LOL,
Due to owning techs in 2000, I already have tax write-offs of $3000 per year till Angelina Jolie's kid reaches 100 years old.

I used to be a rich man, I stayed the course in 2000 and now look at me.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

[Edit:] I've got a 6-figure tax loss carryover as well.* It allows me to trade with tax-impugnity.

So use the write-offs and sell things at a profit!

The idea is to sell losers and invest in better things, not just book a tax-loss.* Stop looking at red in your portfolio, sell those dogs.

To show others the nature of the problem, INTC was above 26 this year and below 17 last week.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #60

LOL,
Can't you only use $3000 per year?