Join Early Retirement Today

As I get older
Old 09-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
gone traveling

As I get older

I read more and more quotes of Steineck and Hemingway and I listen more to more to Chopin or Beethoven.

I think I am better investor who makes better choices. I feel I am FI, I am relatively happy, it is nice to walk on autumn day:

"Best of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout streams
And above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be a part of them forever
.” Ernest Hemingway

What do you feel about desire of being FI, its journey......aging.....being there.....
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still listening to Stoner Rock and reading lurid sci-fi novels at 54. Maybe after another 30-40 years I'll grow up...
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Still listening to Stoner Rock and reading lurid sci-fi novels at 54. Maybe after another 30-40 years I'll grow up...
Consider me a snob but you did not get my point.......
Old 09-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In 2013 and 2014 I have dreamt and prepared much more. In both years I had extended layoff time during which I could practice FIRE behaviors. I feel partially retired, even though I'm working a temporary contract. It is almost as if the decisions are being made elsewhere.

The best analogy is that of a dog on a leash. Of course I will be leashed in some way for the rest of my life. One leash disappears, but one or more will appear near my door. The dream is that I will be off leash from time to time, and will go sniffing in various directions, exploring and enjoying life.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

I'm finding that the older I get, the more I appreciate the humor of "Green Acres". When I was younger, I used to think it was pretty stupid sometimes. But now, I see some sort of creative, slightly evil genius lurking in there...
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I'm finding that the older I get, the more I appreciate the humor of "Green Acres". When I was younger, I used to think it was pretty stupid sometimes. But now, I see some sort of creative, slightly evil genius lurking in there...
I agree! But if you ever get to the point where "Three's Company" starts being funny, I need to do an intervention! Same goes for Dukes of Hazzard!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I agree! But if you ever get to the point where "Three's Company" starts being funny, I need to do an intervention! Same goes for Dukes of Hazzard!
Nobody watched Dukes of Hazzard for the comedy. Depending on your priorities it would be silly car stunts or Daisy.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

I went for Barney Miller and watched every episode. The frequency of watching a 30 - 40 year old TV episode is increasing. ETA2020, does that count?

DW and I watch old movies we have seen before and we can't remember any of it when watching it for the second time. It's like watching a new movie for the 1st time.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Nobody watched Dukes of Hazzard for the comedy. Depending on your priorities it would be silly car stunts or Daisy.
While I am a "Car-Guy", it was Daisy back in the day, and still is, when the re-runs are on. (Factoid- Her legs were insured for a million dollars while she was on the Dukes of Hazzard)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #10

I'll confess to enjoying Three's Company, but mainly the earlier episodes. Once the Ropers left to be on their own tv show, I just didn't enjoy it as much. And when Chrissy left, it got worse.

I'll confess that the short lived "Ropers" spinoff is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Perhaps because, being a car guy, they showed him driving a '56 DeSoto... If I watch too much of the show it will give me a headache, but in small doses, it's fun. I couldn't just sit down and watch a whole marathon of them though, like I could with "Mama's Family"

I used to LOVE the Dukes of Hazzard when I was a kid, but as I got older, they seemed to get stupider. Although, Daisy Duke was always a welcome sight.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
She said there is no reason,
And the truth is plain to see
That I wandered through my playing cards,
And would not let her be
One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast.
And although my eyes were open,
They might just as well have been closed.

Procol Harem's "Whiter Shade of Pale" is stoner rock - but it's also great poetry. No need to grow up mate..........
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
She said there is no reason,
And the truth is plain to see
That I wandered through my playing cards,
And would not let her be
One of sixteen vestal virgins
Who were leaving for the coast.
And although my eyes were open,
They might just as well have been closed.

Procol Harem's "Whiter Shade of Pale" is stoner rock - but it's also great poetry. No need to grow up mate..........
Progressive rock, baroque rock, art rock, psychedelic rock, symphonic rock, blues rock, yes.

Stoner rock?
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Progressive rock, baroque rock, art rock, psychedelic rock, symphonic rock, blues rock, yes.

Stoner rock?
Don't forget good old fashioned rock and roll ..

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #14

As I get older I realize that being FI has given me the opportunity to make the most of the most precious commodity we have, time. Time to enjoy listening to my grandson or granddaughter read a book out loud, time to enjoy hearing my son speak about his growing business, time to do anything I want, without the worry of having to rush at anything.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
I read more and more quotes of Steineck and Hemingway and I listen more to more to Chopin or Beethoven.

I think I am better investor who makes better choices. I feel I am FI, I am relatively happy, it is nice to walk on autumn day:

"Best of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout streams
And above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be a part of them forever
.” Ernest Hemingway

What do you feel about desire of being FI, its journey......aging.....being there.....

Retirement simply confirms the sage offerings of writers who had the time to think of them. For many years, it was a joy to teach kids to think about those passages/poems and watch them learn about life.

Now that I'm free to walk, enjoy the woods, re-read those authors, and think about what they say in new ways, I keep finding out just how "right" they often are. It's great if we can cut those w*orking years short ASAP, for as the poet says "getting and spending we lay waste our powers...."

Thoreau was right. "Simplify!" (Then we have more time to listen to music ....)

Old 09-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #16

My current house is a exactly 1/2 the square footage of my prior home and the lot is 1/4 the size. This home was purchased for two people, and was not purchased with stay over guests or house parties in mind. And we've had plenty of both even in this smaller home, with just as much joy and laughter as in the bigger home.

My life lesson - you don't need a large home. This house is the size of our first home. Getting older is like reverting back to the good old days when size didn't matter!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Even in teenage years, I listened to music that most people considered too sedate. Would you believe that only about 2 weeks ago, I discovered that the song "Come Together" was a Beatles song? Of course, I heard that song from time to time, but never liked it. And I rarely read things that are best-seller to keep up with the masses. So, my taste in books and music did not change much as I age.

Still, there are things that change with me as I get older. I drive even slower now. I eat less and drink less. I get even mellower, though I was never aggressive. I get more interested in history. When I travel, I like to know more about the locales that I visit. Generally, I think I become less self-centered.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

The poem by Ernest Hemingway is beautiful...since I was a child part of me has always yearned to exist in that world of dreams and beauty. The work world many times pulled me away. Now that I am retired, watching the trees bend in the breeze is lovely.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Not getting older, just getting more experienced. Though I would gladly do without some experiences.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
In 2013 and 2014 I have dreamt and prepared much more. In both years I had extended layoff time during which I could practice FIRE behaviors. I feel partially retired, even though I'm working a temporary contract. It is almost as if the decisions are being made elsewhere.

The best analogy is that of a dog on a leash. Of course I will be leashed in some way for the rest of my life. One leash disappears, but one or more will appear near my door. The dream is that I will be off leash from time to time, and will go sniffing in various directions, exploring and enjoying life.
A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.
John Steinbeck