Join Early Retirement Today

Asset Allocation Question
Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Asset Allocation Question

Conventional wisdom or the so called experts say that you should have your age as a percentage of your portfolio in fixed income, bonds, C/Ds, etc. and the balance in equities. Just wonder how many people actually follow this principle ? Me, age 55, and have only 40% of portfolio in the fixed income side of the portfolio. The other 60% spread pretty much evenly across three index funds and an energy and asian growth fund. What say you ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Asset Allocation Question
Old 04-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #2

I'd say the age rule is too conservative.

I'm at age 52 with a 59/41 split. Current plan is to decrease stocks by 1% each year. So I guess that would put me at (Age - 11) in bonds/cash.

Of course it depends on other things too.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't subscribe to such an age formulaic rule.* I prefer to keep 10 years of future income needs in fixed income securities.* Of course, this presumes you are able to estimate future income needs.* I use Quicken to track all our accounts, checking, credit cards, portfolio, and so forth, and that gives us a pretty good idea of our income/expenses by category.

At 70 and after 14 years of retirement, our asset allocation is 55% equities (Vanguard total stock market and total international funds), 10% REIT fund, 35% fixed income securities (Vanguard intermediate-, short-term, and TIPS funds).* Given my family's proclivity for living to 100 and beyonds, I plan for at least another 30 years.* I worry more about inflation than temporary variation in asset value.

db* *
db is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asset Allocation