Join Early Retirement Today

Asset based mortgage
Old 06-18-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Asset based mortgage

We are in the process of selling our current home and will be looking for a new one.

When we bought our current home, I contacted a couple of local mortgage brokers to inquire about mortgage options and they looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about this since we have no W2 income. Assets but no job? No go.

I'm interested in looking into a mortgage on our next home. Has anyone out there had any recent experience with getting a mortgage based on your assets? Do I need to work with large banks? Have you seen any interest rate differences?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Willers
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've had the same problem multiple times, both with purchases and refis. I've heard of asset based mortgages, but never found a lender that would do one. Since we FIREd at 50, too young to get SS or withdraw from IRAs, we were pretty much screwed. We ended up buying a couple of rentals to create a cash flow. That combined with a small business we started were enough to create a semi-respectable income. Enough that they would at least talk to us and look at our other assets.

So sadly, I don't have any good advice for you. If you're old enough for SS and/or IRA withdrawals, that would probably do it. Otherwise you'll just have to find an understanding lender, if any such exist.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've heard from other posters that some banks will look at regularly scheduled tIRA withdrawals to your bank account as income.... I'm sure that others who have more direct experience with the issue will be along shortly.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't say "recent" as our mortgage was in 2010. Assets were a "no go" then as well. It turned out that we DID have income since the IRS said we did. We'd converted some tIRA assets to ROTH IRAs and had to pay taxes on the conversions. Even though we ended up with less actual money (you take the taxes - hopefully - from your "cash.") SO, we did get the mortgage. Otherwise, you have to find a way to cash in your assets and pay cash. We had just assumed that you could "pledge" your assets, but apparently not. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if one had a regular automatic monthly Roth conversions if that would qualify as income in the eyes of the bank... while we all know it is just moving money from one pocket to another it does show up as pension income on your tax return.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We did an asset based mortgage in 2019 through a broker who was knowledgeable about such loans. Because most of our net worth was tied up in TIRA's, he calculated a monthly withdrawal which we maintained for only a couple of months to satisfy the lender. Once we got the loan and closed on the property, we stopped the withdrawals. You need to find a broker who is familiar with such loans. As far as I could tell, we got a competitive rate and terms.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #7

https://guide.freddiemac.com/app/guide/section/5307.1 Most the banks/CU I talked to use these rules and depending on age/ where invested, it may disqualify a lot of your assets since the rule is if there is a penalty for withdrawal which it didn't seem to matter there isn't since I had enough Roth conversions, all they cared was I wasn't 59.5.

Angle Oaks is a big private lender that does them based on their own rules but expect to pay up 2% which there is some leniency if you do a bigger down payment improving LTV. I hope there are better ones out there but thats the only one I had experience with and everyone I knew bit the bullet and went there too. They were willing to lend me more than even I was comfortable taking out.

Pensions/SS/regular fixed distributions from retirement should be good, everything else most underwriters won't touch as its just easier for them to use Freddi/Fannies rules. Though I will say given my age, even my pension seemed to cause them grief.

My honey went back and got a full time contract gig, just enough to meet conventional mortgage rules so we could refinance out of those rates this year. Still worth the 2 years we used Angle Oaks as we got the home we wanted and luckily just temporary pain point but hey at least they were willing to lend as it would have been way more painful paying taxes to pull it out of the market to pay cash. Good Luck.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I wonder if one had a regular automatic monthly Roth conversions if that would qualify as income in the eyes of the bank... while we all know it is just moving money from one pocket to another it does show up as pension income on your tax return.
That's a good question. When we did our mortgage (2019) based on monthly TIRA withdrawals, the lender wanted to see the money show up in our bank account statement.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice. I have a ton in taxable right now so I wonder if I could manufacture "income" into my checking account by doing an automated withdrawal from my Ally account rather than generating more taxable income from my IRA.

Has anyone know of any banks that they think might be more open to this?
Old 06-18-2021, 03:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
That's a good question. When we did our mortgage (2019) based on monthly TIRA withdrawals, the lender wanted to see the money show up in our bank account statement.
Our lender ONLY went by the income shown on our 1040. Could have cared less what "actually" happened to the money. If the FEDs said it was "income" that was good enough for the lender. YMMV as always.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have a ton in taxable right now so I wonder if I could manufacture "income" into my checking account by doing an automated withdrawal from my Ally account rather than generating more taxable income from my IRA.

If you are old enough to withdraw from your IRA getting a mortgage should be an issue. You set up a monthly withdrawal from your IRA big enough to give you the needed income. I was told that the IRA simply has to have enough money in it to cover 3 years of withdrawals.

The crucial thing I was told is that you don't have to keep the monthly IRA withdrawals forever. After awhile you can discontinue them or change them. I actually do have the monthly withdrawals on my IRA at this time, but I was told that I could stop them if I wanted to or could change them. I mean that makes sense. Stuff can change over the lifetime of a mortgage.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If I was going to do the IRA thing and incur the tax hit for a few months, I'd do them as Roth conversions. Might as well accomplish something positive while gaming the system.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried to go through Wells Fargo for a mortgage last year - I got tired of all of the hoops the underwriter insisted I jump through. I contacted my local bank and secured a mortgage loan within two weeks. Unfortunately, I’m going through the same thing this year. Wells Fargo gave me a pre-qual letter, but the realtor I’m working with was worried that Wells Fargo wouldn’t come through quickly enough. I concurred and went with a local bank again - had my loan approval within a week. Just hoping the house appraises appropriately - the housing market is insane. My current house sold within a couple of days at a highly inflated price.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post

I don't think so... that is just a transfer... not income... doesn't result in income on your tax return.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing View Post
I tried to go through Wells Fargo for a mortgage last year - I got tired of all of the hoops the underwriter insisted I jump through. I contacted my local bank and secured a mortgage loan within two weeks. Unfortunately, I’m going through the same thing this year. Wells Fargo gave me a pre-qual letter, but the realtor I’m working with was worried that Wells Fargo wouldn’t come through quickly enough. I concurred and went with a local bank again - had my loan approval within a week. Just hoping the house appraises appropriately - the housing market is insane. My current house sold within a couple of days at a highly inflated price.
Did your local bank do an Assets Only mortgage? Or do you have income? I think it's pretty unusual to find a bank that will di it just based on assets.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Penfed told me they only looked at annual income on your taxes. If you have enough gross income from each of the last two years on your tax forms to meet their qualifying ratios you should be okay with them.

All the lenders on the Costco mortgage program I contacted told me they would accept automatic transfers from retirement accounts as long as you show them the set up form and at least one transfer being deposited into your checking. We refinanced recently with NBKC this way. I was also told Finance of America (through lending.com), NASB and Strong Mortgage will look at monthly transfers as well. Fidelity has an online form to set up regular distributions from IRAs. If takes a few days advance set up and then you can cancel it once your loan goes through, so you really only have to do one transfer to get the loan.

In my experience most of the Costco mortgage lenders are on the up and up, though some individual loan officers might be a bit sketch or inexperienced. Be careful with the lenders who advertise significantly lower rates than the pack, like certain ones on Credit Karma. Those rates may not be real and they are just counting on either rates going down or people not wanting to start over even after they find out their "lock" wasn't real.

We're on our second refinance this year using retirement assets as a part of our qualifying income. We refinance with a no point, no cost loan every time rates go down. Even a $20 a month payment drop is $7.2K over the life of a 30 year loan.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:21 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We had the same issue in 2012. We were too young to touch TIRAs, and being newly retired had no way to show enough income. We wound up setting up 2 $500 72Ts to show an income stream. We made them just enough to qualify for the mortgage and then cancelled one right after closing, can't really remember why it was recommended (required?) we keep one.
lauradrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't think so... that is just a transfer... not income... doesn't result in income on your tax return.
Yeah, I figured that might be true.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:34 AM   #19

We refinanced earlier this year, and once the bank saw that we met their maximum loan to income ratio based on my pension alone, they were no longer interested in documentation of our retirement account assets and draws--even though those draws made up about 40% of our income at the time.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:41 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

It seems that most of the proposed solutions require establishing an income from your assets. That’s not an asset based loan IMO. As I read the requirements on Fannie Mae site, no actual distribution is required. It’s a calculation that allows you to use about 2.5% of your assets as “income” to qualify for a loan. I inquired about one of these at the credit union and the “loan officer” said sure but clearly had no idea of what I was talking about. My conclusion is that a broker or mortgage company that specializes in these products is necessary. Having the blessing of Fannie and Freddie should make it routine but it doesn’t seem to work that way.