Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still searching for what causes the next sector to out perform. So far the rules I have come to support are; The Dogs of the DOW, & last year winner seldom repeats.

It seems the normal events that move sectors are anticipated in the stock price, so I stopped trying to figure it out, and have arrive at diversified ETF AA with a tilt towards; technology, healthcare, EM.

FWIW Here are 2 correlation calculators.

http://www.sectorspdr.com/correlation/

http://www.market-topology.com/index.php?option=com_impactopia&view=friend&Itemid =2
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What I've never been able to decide is whether I need/should have REITs in addition to the 4% real estate that is included in the stock market as a whole (in the Total Stock Market Index Fund), and if so, how much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
That's the main reason I own a REIT fund, typically low/negative correlation with other equity funds. I assume it's the reason many investors do, Dr B taught me...
What Midpack says. When I was doing the Asset Allocation tutorial I looked up as much historical and return data as I could find. IIRC, the correlation between REITs and bonds differs slightly from that between equities and bonds, providing some diversification benefit and giving a smoother-riding, less volatile portfolio without much if any decrease in expected return from one with stocks & bonds only. The effect is pretty slight--my target AA is 70% bonds and the rest split evenly between stock and REIT, but I found that in practical terms there was very little difference in expected return and volatility between 5% stock/25% REIT and 25% stock/5% REIT. Last time I checked (which may have been over a year ago) I was approaching that 5% rebalancing trigger. I won't have access to that account info until I get my own computer out of storage and set back up, but I suspect rebalancing will be on my to-do list once that happens. I was also attracted by the fact that REITs generate some income, like dividend paying stocks. Yeah, I know, money is fungible, but I still find the idea of just spending my income and retaining the principal an attractive one. (added later) I may at some time want to move into a retirement community and at that point I would consider spending some of the principal for buy-in if sale of my house didn't generate enough money.

So to answer your question, if you want a slightly less volatile portfolio, add a dash of REIT fund. If you want the simplest portfolio, leave it out. I think you can get nearly the same effect by tweaking your stock/bond rebalancing point.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What I've never been able to decide is whether I need/should have REITs in addition to the 4% real estate that is included in the stock market as a whole (in the Total Stock Market Index Fund), and if so, how much.
Take a look at Merriman's ultimate buy and hold article. He compares several different portfolios and you can see the impact on return/variance.

http://www.merriman.com/PDFs/UltimateBuyAndHold.pdf

When you look at the numbers, they will be small in absolute scale. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth the extra complexity (and the chance that something goes wrong). But also keep in mind that +0.3% annualized return is huge compared to a 4% or lower SWR.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote