Asset Value at ER

The intention was not to pry on personal information. I just assumed everything posted here is anonymous and no one knows each other...my bad. I just lack the confidence right now on pulling the trigger on the ER at age 60.
Invested assets are 5mil, monthly expenses 10.5k

Many thanks to all that have replied

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

$5,000,000/$126,000=39.7 years. You can very conservatively make it to 99.7 years old.

The intention was not to pry on personal information. I just assumed everything posted here is anonymous and no one knows each other...my bad. I just lack the confidence right now on pulling the trigger on the ER at age 60.

Many thanks to all that have replied...

You probably know all this, but your WR is only 2.5% which absent a black swan event, should be plenty. If a black swan happens then you'll have plenty of company in your misery.

I assume that there is some flexibility to tighten your belt from $10.5k/month if a black swan occurred. Plus I assume that you have SS on top of the $5 million.

$10.5k/month for 40 years is ~$5 million so even if your portfolio only returned 0% real you would be fine.

And while this site is anonymous after 10,000 posts (or after 30,000 posts in the case of W2R or 36,000 posts in the case of REWahoo) many of us have disclosed enough tidbits about ourselves that someone could figure out who we are in real life if they really wanted to.

Last edited:
I just lack the confidence right now on pulling the trigger on the ER at age 60.
FWIW, your expenses are well under the 4% withdrawal rate that's often considered to be "sustainable". (I'd guess many here are more comfortable withdrawing less than that 4%) Of course, this is the very roughest of gauges.
You are smart to check around, play with some numbers, read some of the old threads here (and participate in new ones) until yiou get comfortable. Nothing can take the place of a hard look at your present and future expenses (incl biggies like health care) and potential returns on your investments and other income sources (SS, pensions, etc) and "what if-ing" the probable future until you get comfortable. There are people here very happily retired on 1/4th of what you've got, but they aren't used to spending $10K per month.
If you haven't done it yet, play around with FIRECalc.

My point is that using "assets" apart from liabilities isn't a particularly good index of retirement readiness - and in any case no better than net worth.

If you pay off your house, you have reduced an expense which affects the amount of assets needed to generate your income. This is how paying your mortgage made a phantom asset for generating income (it reduced an expense). Now if you sell the house or turn in into a rental, then it could generate income

And while this site is anonymous after 10,000 posts (or after 30,000 posts in the case of W2R or 36,000 posts in the case of REWahoo) many of us have disclosed enough tidbits about ourselves that someone could figure out who we are in real life if they really wanted to.

With 36,000 posts you think I have a real life? :LOL:

Not sure, I was thinking that perhaps you have a real life AND are really old. :D:D:D

But that can't be because W2R has almost as many posts and isn't old at all. :D

Last edited:
Not sure, I was thinking that perhaps you have a real life AND are really old. :D:D:D

But that can't be because W2R has almost as many posts and isn't old at all. :D

Aw!!! You get several brownie points for saying that. Sometimes I feel older than Methuselah. :D

(67 years, +6 months, +6 days - - - how could I possibly be this old? I am still 23 at heart.)

I have said a lot about myself over the years, but I am guessing that it would take a regular forum reader to put various items of information together and figure out my net worth minus house at retirement within just a few dollars.

For those who don't need the exact amount, I'll give you all a big clue, though - - more than $99,000 and less than $99,999,999.

Last edited:
Aw!!! You get several brownie points for saying that. ...

I'm certain that sometime in the near future I will [-]misbehave[/-] be misinterpreted in some way that makes those brownie points evaporate into thin air... it is just a matter of time.

Home of $500k is paid off and is 20% of NW. DW has pension and SS that equals 40% of our yearly expenses. In six years I hit FRA and then we'll have 80% of our yearly expenses covered by pension/SS. At that time we'll be around a 1.5% WR.

House value is typically excluded because you can't eat your house. You've probably heard of the term "house rich, cash poor" before, right?

IOW, unless you plan to sell your house and rent, or downsize and add part of the proceeds from the sale of a larger house to your retirement nestegg, then that house doesn't provide any cash flow to pay for groceries, health care etc.

When you paid your mortgage then you new worth did not change... your assets went down and liabilities went down by the same amount but NW is less relevant to being retired than retirement assets.

IOW, using an extreme example, if someone has a $500k house and $2 million in retirement assets they are better positioned to retire than someone with a $2 million house and $500k in retirement assets yet they both have a $2.5 million net worth.

I wouldn't completely discount home equity. Late in life one can liquidate it, or borrow against it. You need to recognize that it isn't immediately liquidable (probably not really a word), but one can get cash out of it at some point.

I agree in theory. I think of our home equity as a Plan C level item in that if things got real bad then we could downsize and generate some cash... but it isn't part of the plan.

agree totally...but plans change as we get closer to being dead.

OP, at 5 mil I think you are good to go. Don't think I am going out on a limb there.

Secondly, I don't mind sharing that we should be right at 3 mil when we pull the trigger, hopefully in 2017. Don't care if folks know that number or if they can figure out who I am.

YMMV.

For those that did their ER at age 60 or before, what was your total asset value? (Excluding your home)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
As others have said, you probably won't get many exact numbers from folks here, or any other board for that matter. As pointed out, some of the polls that have been taken around here should give you a good idea.

IMO, while it's interesting to know about your peers, I think what really matters is how much do you need (or want) or maybe it's better to say, what lifestyle are your looking for. Many seem to get by (happily) on a million or far less, others don't seem to be happy with 5 million or more.

Back
Top Bottom