Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did exactly that. Was 80% then 50% then decided to hang it up entirely. It was a great transition to retirement.

The only issue I had was that the nature of our work was such that even though I was only 50% time I was effectively on-call 24/7 and my 50% might be a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the afternoon for client conference calls (which frequently were rescheduled at the last minute). I found it hard to have a whole day off due to client demands and decided the only way to accomplish that was to just quit/retire.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Asymptotically
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Asymptotically

Two Ivy League degrees and I had to look it up!
Bruce
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Aren't we just splitting hairs here? Isn't what OP described simply ESR? Adding the FI portion gives extra security but it's still ESR (+FI). FIESR?
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I went down to 75% time last August - I'm off roughly 1 week per month. I am still carrying the same workload as they overschedule me when I am at work. l love the work and most of the people I work with. That said, the week off here and there isn't satisfying enough to keep it up much longer. I want total freedom. I was planning to turn in my resignation as of August of this year, but one of my co-workers is retiring next year (at 70!!), and she is pushing me to remain and retire with her. I hope I can make it that long.
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With all of the things I have going on, I only work half days anymore. Just 12 hours...

I am leaving my 'regular' job by mid-2016. As soon as I get my 401K maxed out, and the 1,000 hours for an additional year of pension calculation.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I did something similar to what you are doing.

I dropped to 50% time AND they let me move to Hawaii and work remotely. The plan was I would then drop to 0% in 6 months. But it turned out they needed me for a lot more than 50% time. It got very complicated but I ended up getting RIF'ed one month before retirement, with severance at the 80% level. Now they want me to do some consulting for them.

At any rate, it turned out well for me financially, but as far as ramping down my schedule it never worked out that way. I was always getting called into various little crises. But it was nice working from Hawaii where we retired to.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #27

Starting July 8th I am reducing from 8 to 6 hours per day through 2015 and will then consider going to 4 hrs per day for another year or 2. Luckily through 2015 I have enough vacation and PT to still take 3 weeks of vacation each year and get paid full time also.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #28

I was lucky that I was able to take Fridays off March-October to continue my Desert Tortoise tracking study. Soon volunteering at the Desert Botanical Garden and the Master Gardener program on the weekend got in the way. Something had to give, gee wouldn't you know it, fun things first.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you are very lucky to have such flexibility and it is a wonderful way to approach retirement and I like your math analogy .

I am really ready to retire/quit (no retirement benefits) and try semi or full retirement, but recent announcements at work have made me postpone a bit. My company is undergoing major change, and many will be laid off in the next 12 months. The financial gain if I get laid off could be very good for me, so DH and I discussed staying another year now, and seeing if I get a package. If not I will definitely quit and relax!!!

My problem, a good one, is I am relocating to a warmer place very soon. So I am getting ready to submit a proposal to work remotely. I won't be asking for a reduction in hours, just virtual work. I have been telecommuting 2 days a week to prove that I can do it, but that doesn't mean my boss will agree to permanent full time virtual work.

It sounds like your approach is working so far, so do what works for you!!
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote